I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Coating Damage
Posted by: Dan Leitzen (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: July 16, 2019 09:26PM

I have a spinning rod that the rod coating slivered off. It is about 3/4" long but it does not seems to have affected the rod. It is about 12" from the tip. I noticed that the line was getting caught in it. Am I best to just but a coat of finishing epoxy around it or leave it as is?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Coating Damage
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2019 11:42AM

Dan,

Just use fine sandpaper to smooth up the edges of the damage and blend in the damage with the rest of the blank.

If you wish, you can put some finish on the area, but if the damage area is feathered into the rest of the rod and the rod finish, there is no need to do anything else. The rod blank is perfectly fine with no finish on it at all.

Be safe

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2019 01:29PM

If the finish just came off then no problem, However, if the graphite splintered off then you will have a weak spot that may break at sometime in the future.
Norm

Posted by: Dan Leitzen (---.ip.jagcom.net)
Date: July 18, 2019 02:58PM

Now that I take a closer look the graphite splintered off. Hopefully it holds up.

Date: July 18, 2019 03:22PM

One thing that might help is to wrap the splintered area with thread and give it a coat of finish. This may help to reinforce the area. If this is a new rod, the graphite should not splinter like that, I would certainly contact the manufacturer and see if it is covered by a warranty. You have nothing to lose, the worst thing that can happen is they say no.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: July 18, 2019 04:12PM

Dan,
The fact that the CF is splintered WILL eventually result in failure, especially in the small diameter tip section, and probably sooner than later. An open-spiral thread-wrap-splint may be the best approach to strengthen where splintered while affecting the natural flex of the blank the least. Although not a structural epoxy, apply your favorite THIN wrap finish around the splinter and work it well into the splinter by flexing the blank 20-30 times. Wipe off the majority of excess finish. While the finish is still wet, start your thread wrap as normal, an inch or so before the splinter with about 10 packed rotations. Then spiral each thread leaving about .062 - .093in space between over the splinter and about an inch past, then about 10 packed wraps tying off as usual. Apply thread finish sparingly. Employing white silk or regular nylon thread will minimize being able to see the thread or use a color similar to the blank. The open spiral will secure the splinter while allowing the blank to flex better than if tightly packed. I have performed this type of repair on a few rods now including bamboo with very good results. I am curious what the veterans have to say.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: July 18, 2019 06:41PM

What Mark suggests may work just fine. In addition, I might even try to reposition the guides so I put a guide right on the damaged area to give additional reinforcement and to hide the repair. If the splinter has broken away from the blank then there is no guarantee the repair will hold.
Norm

Date: July 19, 2019 08:37AM

Dan,
Since some graphite has splinterd off, just remove the tip top and as many guides as necessary to have a clear area from the splintered area to the tip of the rod.
Clean up the damaged area, and select an over sleeve of fiberglass to go over the damaged area and extend at least 1/2 inch on each side of the damaged area.
If the oversleeve is thick, just chuck it into a variable speed drill and while holding it against a belt sander or sand paper on a flat surface spin the fiberglass oversleeve to a thinner sleeve. You want enough oversleeve material to provide a reliable oversleeve without adding too much additional weight or stiffness to the rod blank area. Put on some 5 minute epoxy on the blank over the damaged area and nearer to the top of the blank and slide the oversleeve area into position to cover the damaged area and use appropriate solvent to remove any excess glue from the repair.

Replace any guides that have been removed and wrap and finish the guides. Also, do a 1/4 inch over wrap on each end of the over sleeve to prevent splintering of the oversleeve. Glue the tip top back on the rod and go fishing.

Best wishes.

Date: July 19, 2019 08:39AM

If graphite splinters have been removed from the rod, it is necessary to replace the structure of the rod to insure that it will have a nice long life. The use of an oversleeve does this task nicely.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: July 19, 2019 02:37PM

I was under the impression the splinter was still attached, hence my suggestion of an open spiral of thread. Norman’s suggestion is also a very good one to disguise the repair but may require more time to repair. If the splinter is missing, Roger is certainly correct with his suggestion. Keep us posted on which procedure you employ and how the repair goes.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster