I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Roger Wilson or some one else- Fenwick
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2019 09:45PM

Roger
was looking for some info, and read one of your past post in which you mentioned that you still had some older Fenwick catalogs

a friend that I helped get into rod building couple years back. Has acquired several older Fenwick blanks. And I'm hoping you can help me identify one and maybe a few others later on
I have never used Fenwick, but figured numbers mean 6'9"- 3 power. But do not know what the lettering means, or if it is all graphite or gr/Fiberglass blend

This one is labeled Fenwick Matrix MTB 693

Thank you for helping or any one else who does

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roger Wilson or some one else- Fenwick
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 15, 2019 10:34PM

Matrix blanks were a blend of graphite and glass. Grey-silver color. 6'9" Fenwick 3-power.

Date: July 16, 2019 07:10AM

Thank you Mr. Kirkman

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: July 16, 2019 07:48AM

Steve, Old Cabela's catalogs, etc. from the period that Fenwick sold blanks would also be a good info source. 7 power was "heavy" and 6 power "med-heavy" so a 3 would probably be a "light."

Date: July 16, 2019 12:41PM

Dan
That's the problem
I have never been the one to save old catalogs

With the exception of Rod Maker mag I've never saved fishing mags either

May be looking at things now, I should have

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2019 03:42PM

A few years ago, I looked around and looked at all of the saved paper that was around the house. Filing cabinets filled with receipts etc. Saved magazines and catalogs.

I went through everything and packed up about 600 lbs of paper in the form of all of the above items. All of the paper went through the shredder to be recycled.

Since that time, i have just made the habit that about the only thing I have saved is the appropriate number of tax returns and magazines for a month after being received and a catalog for 30 seconds if I don't plan to use it or if I do plan to use it, I will keep it until the next edition comes out. At that time, the old copy gets pitched.

Amazing how much less clutter is around the home and office and shop areas.

At the same time, I went through the rod shop and went through supplies. I did the same thing with the rod building supplies were not fresh and current and if a type of guide had not been used for 3 or more years, it as well as the stale supplies went away as well.

As a result, my required storage areas are much much smaller and my elbow room is much much greater.

Just a choice that one makes as one goes through this thing that we all call life and living.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster