I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broke my rod in half!
Posted by: Chris Jaenke (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 15, 2019 03:50PM

Hi guys,

First of all, I want to thank everyone on this forum who has responded to my previous questions. This forum and the members have been a great resource to learn from and is a big reason I've come this far. I've built 3 rods so far and just finished the first one that was for myself. It is a 6 foot light action casting rod built on a CRB IS601L blank.

I caught one fish on it before I cast my lure over a limband went to flip it over when the rod broke in half right above the second guide.

For disclosure- I was using 4lb line and felt like I was babying this rod, I felt I was not putting unnecessary pressure on the rod causing it to break.

Do any builders here have any advice for me? I'm wondering why the rod broke so easily, and why it broke in the middle of the rod (as opposed to closer to the tip where it would be weaker?). Since it is broke in the middle , is it possible to repair? Does anyone have any advice when it comes to repairing a rod in this manner.

Thanks in advance for all replies!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2019 03:52PM by Chris Jaenke.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broke my rod in half!
Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2019 04:11PM

Hello Chris - I am sorry to hear of your mis-fortune. Here is a link from our web-site for Warranty Information - [www.mudhole.com] - You can scroll down the page for the particulars. My e-mail is listed if you would like to directly contact me. Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2019 04:16PM by Bob McKamey.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2019 04:49PM

Fine job Mr KcKamey ......... on second thought, fine job isn't appropriate........ but the word outstanding is ..... OUTSTANDING !!!

. Can't get any better than that Chris.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 15, 2019 05:04PM

In my opinion MHX and crb blanks have the best warranty and customer service around. Never had a problem dealing with them. You will probably be able to keep the broken rod and it can be repaired with a plug. If you need a how to do it let us know. Or you can salvage the components and use them on the new blank.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 15, 2019 06:08PM

Rods can sustain damage in a variety of ways. Most likely the rod had some damage in the mid-section of the blank. It might have been dropped, dinged or even damaged in shipping and you didn't catch it at the time you built it. Hard to say without seeing the break. Contact MH and let them work with you, which I'm sure they will.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: July 15, 2019 06:26PM

I wouldn't bother repairing it , the blank costs $25.00 just wait till you get a replacement .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 16, 2019 07:18AM

Keep the broken blank for possible repairing of rods. While glass is better, graphite will work for making sleeves.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2019 12:19PM

Chris,
It will only take about 30 minutes to complete a repair on the rod. So, of course repair the rod. The mid section of the rod makes it very easy to repair and have little effect on the action of the blank.

Others don't always do this, but I always use fiberglass sleeves and in inner plug to repair a broken rod and then to a 1/4 inch thread wrap on each end of the outer sleeve with thread coating to complete the repair.

When I select the outer sleeve, i select one that fits the blank nice and tight at the break and have it extend at least 1 1/2 inches on each side of the blank. If the blank outersleeve happens to be on the thick side, I will slip the outersleeve into a variable speed drill and while holding it spinning against a belt sander thin the blank walls to a reasonable thickness.

I also agree with Mr. Kirkman in that it is likely that the blank was damaged before using it for the first time.

But one lesson to be learned here. If the line is caught on something like a tree or a rock. Set the rod down in a safe place and then grab the line with a gloved hand and either pull the line and lure free or break the line and move on.

Lots and lots of rods have been broken trying to snap a lure or hook and line free from a hang up. A rod repair and or replacement is many times more expensive than any sort of lure, hook and line replacement.

Good luck

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 16, 2019 01:53PM

Get the replacement blank and now you get to build a new rod!

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: July 16, 2019 02:08PM

Hopefully you took advantage of Mudhole's FANTASTIC " No minimum & free shipping " sale they had the last two days & bought a replacement reel seat etc... for the new blank . Remove the guides from the broken rod and use on the new one to save $.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster