I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix Custom Handle Kit Installation
Posted by: Dave Schappell (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 09, 2019 11:14PM

I purchased model HKS-4 a while ago and I'm about to start building a rod that I'd like to use this handle on. Still being a Newbie, I'm kind of confused what is the best way to install the end cap plug. I've seen one video on Get Bit where the end cap actually fits into the hollow of the rod. That's not going to work in this case, the plug is larger than the rod.

I have a couple of thoughts, first one is to ream the but portion of the cork handle (about 3/4") so it'll be large enough to accept the plug, then epoxy it in.

The second would be to ream the entire length of the but handle, making it oversized, and then create arbors and use lots of epoxy to fill the voids.

I know there has to be a better solution out there but I haven't found it yet.

Any hints to the best way to tackle this problem?

Thanks!

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix Custom Handle Kit Installation
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2019 11:42PM

Dave,
[www.getbitoutdoors.com]

So, I assume that you are looking at finishing the butt section of the rear grip? I take it that the rear grip has a hole in the butt section of the grip? Then, there is a plug that comes with the grip to plug the open hole?

If that is the case, I spin the plug and reduce the size of the plug so that I create a tapered plug that will fit into the open end of the rear grip. Then, I sand the end of the grip so that it is at 90 degrees to the rest of the grip and smooth.

When you glue the grip onto the rod grip, you extend the rear grip the 3/8th of an inch or so past the end of the rod blank so that the rod blank is not part of the problem when you put the plug in the rear grip.

If my understanding of the problem is not correct, can you snap a couple of pictures and post them in the picture section to better indicate the problem?

------------
This is the setup that I use when building rods with solid cork grips. I bore the grip to be a size that fits nicely onto the rod blank. Then, the hole in the end of the grip is about the size of the rod blank. I use a plug cutter to cut plugs from cork rings and then shape the plug to be tapered and to nicely fit into the hole in the end of the grip. After the glue sets, I slip the grip - placed in paper towels to keep the grip clean - into the jaws of the cross vise that is mounted next to the face of my disk sander. Then, using the cross vise to advance the end of the grip up to and slightly further of the face of the spinning sanding disk. Then, I use the other cross vise control to advance the grip across the face of the disk to provide a perfectly smooth rear grip that is at 90 degrees to the rest of the grip.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: July 09, 2019 11:53PM

So, I've used a bunch of those St Croix handles. They are great, btw. Too bad they are gone, especially the fly handles. Don't make this harder than you need to. Insert the plug to the greatest depth it will go. Then ream the grip so that that depth will protrude beyond the blank. Assemble the grip, then Epoxy in the plug. After it's dry, cut off the excess, sand down (a belt sander makes this a 30 second job), until flush and move on. I usually cut off about 1/2 of the plug. Don't sweat this, it's easy.

Posted by: Dave Schappell (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 17, 2019 12:08PM

Thanks for the replies, I used Drew's method and it worked out fine.

Have a great day!

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster