I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Older rods
Posted by: James Clark (---.mobile.uscc.net)
Date: July 06, 2019 09:07PM

I have some older rods that have been beat up over the years. What can be used to safely refinish these back to their original luster?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Older rods
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2019 11:03PM

Too many variables to give you a good answer. Post some pictures in the photos section.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 11:04PM by Chuck McIntyre.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 07, 2019 12:13AM

What are they? Bamboo, Fiberglass, Carbon fiber? Do you know the current finish?

Date: July 07, 2019 12:16AM

I am sure of the current finish, they are fiberglass/graphite composite.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 07, 2019 07:56AM

James, I think you are being asked what the current finish on the fiberglass/graphite composite is. That can be important because some finishes are incompatible with others.

You are not planning to re-wrap guides, right?

I think the best product is either Permagloss or Lumaseal, which are VERY fast drying, glossy, finishes, but they can damage unsealed decals or other finishes. I expect you don't know for sure what the finishes are, so before applying to the whole rod try it in a very small spot where it won't be noticed.

There are instructions for applying it on this forum, I believe, so do a search if you plan to use one of them. There might be on-line videos, too.

You DON'T want to use wrap epoxy, too thick, heavy, hard to get smooth on a big length like you're talking about, too soft. Just not the right product.

Date: July 07, 2019 08:57AM

The rod I am looking at refinishing has basically no finish left on it and i was planning on re wrapping it as well.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2019 11:03AM

Then a complete strip will not be too hard. Cut off the wraps carefully,the left over finish will most likely be able to be removed by scraping with a plastic knife or plastic razor blades. Some use Citri Strip to soften the finish. Then either paint or coat with the above mentioned Permagloss or Limiseal Allow to dry for week to make sure the threads don’t dig in when wrapping.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: July 07, 2019 12:56PM

While your taking the guides off run a Q-tip around the rings to check for cracked ones same for tiptop, + check all for grooving.

Date: July 07, 2019 03:13PM

I am planning on upgrading them while I am at it. Thinking about running Fuji kr concept and see how I like it while getting my feet wet with the micro guides. If I learn with them it wont be a big deal to adjust later.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 07, 2019 04:20PM

Remove the guides, and scrape the the paint and old finish off with a utility knife or single edge razor blade held perpendicular to the blank. The old finish will come off quite easily. This does not hurt the blank at all. When finished scraping wet sand the blank with 800 to 1500 grit wet/dry paper to remove all traces of the old finish. Again this does not hurt the blank it is almost like polishing the blank. After cleaning you can use the blanks as is, or give it a clear coat with Permagloss, or paint it. You can use the search here to get detailed information on how to strip a rod, clear coat with Permagloss or paint a blank. A lot of information in the archives.
Norm

Date: July 07, 2019 04:42PM

Good choice on guides, that system is all I use now. All the finish and ring options you'd ever want.

If you need some guidance go to the Anglers Resource web site and look in their catalog for tips on the system. As you probably know, line type and test gets into the "equation." Except for really light rods where I know I won't want to use line heavier than 10 pound braid I use the 20H-10H-5.5M reduction train and size 4.5 or 5 running guides. The 20 allows for just about any line I would be likely to use. For the light ones it's 16H, 8H, 5.5M and 4 or 4.5 runners.

If you use the software be sure to use the KR software link on the list on the left.

Date: July 07, 2019 05:05PM

I want to thank everyone for their input. I have learned more in the past week or so about building and rebuilding rods than my entire life. Again I truly appreciate the openness and willingness to share your tricks and procedures in this craft.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2019 09:33AM

James,
I also prefer the appearance, action and lighter weight of a blank that has 0 finish on it.

Follow Norman's instructions and you will have a beautiful blank that will not have the finish get nicked up because there will be no finish on the blank.

Many of the high end blank manufacturers have been doing this for years and years.

Fiberglass, graphite and composite blanks need no finish at all on the exterior of the blank for a great looking extremely capable blank to be used a a great fishing rod.

Good luck

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 08, 2019 09:39AM

Except for thread wrapping a rod finish is purely decorative. I take it you plan to use these refurbished blanks for fishing, not display or rod-building practice?

Date: July 08, 2019 09:41AM

Phil,
I think that you meant to say - "except for the thread used to wrap the guides ----"

Posted by: James Clark (---.146.40.69.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 08, 2019 01:10PM

Yes I plan to use them fishing, but due to the fact they are pretty inexpensive rods to begin with I am also going to use them for practice

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 08, 2019 03:05PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Phil,
> I think that you meant to say - "except for the
> thread used to wrap the guides ----"

No I think he meant what he said .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: July 08, 2019 08:26PM

Fred,
I stand corrected. Phil was speaking of finish. I mistook his statement to read that he was speaking of thread. My bad.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: July 11, 2019 08:35AM

I just did six old ugly sticks for a friend who had an emotional attachment to the rods. I used the method Norman Miller mentioned above. Apply the permagloss with makeup sponges and let dry.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 14, 2019 08:56PM

CPXtra is an alternative to Lumiseal-Permagloss that does not go off too damn fast and yields the same results.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster