I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy over Chevron design
Posted by: Hunter Pegram (38.83.140.---)
Date: July 06, 2019 04:10PM

I am a newbie builder and I am looking for some help on a chevron design that i created on a rod. What is the create way to epoxy the thread? Do i let it rotate and just let the brush go in the direction of the thread? I look forward to the responses. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy over Chevron design
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 06, 2019 06:40PM

If the thread is not NCP, meaning "no color preservative required," put a coat or two of color preservative (CP) on it, then apply wrap epoxy to it. Probably will take a couple coats depending on what epoxy you use. I prefer lite, but others use heavy build. Apply the epoxy then rotate until it won't droop any more. About an hour or two for most, longer for Pro Kote. If you don't have a "dryer," (I dislike that term since epoxy doesn't dry, it reacts - it's a chemical reaction) then simply turn it 90 degrees or so every 10 minutes prevent it building on one side rather than being evenly distributed.

Posted by: Hunter Pegram (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2019 07:59PM

Thank you for the response. I did put the color perservative on the threads because I used bright threads. I do have a dryer and I really appreciate your response and guidance. This is the first rod that I have ever built and I wanna do it right the first time. Thanks again.

Posted by: John Keys (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 06, 2019 08:16PM

Just a word of caution - Check the color preservative directions as to the drying time. Most say allow 24 hours to dry before applying finish. I have applied finish within an hour of applying CP, the results was not good.

Date: July 07, 2019 09:29AM

I used the Proseal. I let it dry overnight so i think i will be fine if i epoxy this afternoon. Thank you for the input!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2019 09:39AM

Hunter,
You want to do it right. Don't be in a hurry to try to work on a shorter drying or curing time with anything.
Especially, since this is your first rod, let the cp cure for a couple of days before applying the finish.

Best wishes

Date: July 08, 2019 07:52PM

Thank you for your input Roger. I have held off on the epoxy just for that reason.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: July 10, 2019 06:14PM

What brand of epoxy are you going to apply? Just out of curiosity..

All epoxy brands are a little diffrent, some prefer one brand over the other..

If you have never used a self leveling epoxy before, research the heck out of it.. For some reason, epoxy is very difficult to get right.. Atleast for me it was.. Practice makes perfect... I seem to run into issues when the area being epoxied is longer then 3-4 inchs..

Also, how many coats of sealer did you use? From what i gather, 1 isnt enough.. You may think you have total coverage, but find out the hard way you should have done atleast 2.. I do 3 to be safe.. Although i dont usually use it..
Best of luck with the epoxy..

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2019 09:58PM

Most epoxy issues are caused by doing too much. Put it on and let it do it’s job. It will level knits own. Key is not to use too much.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: July 10, 2019 10:00PM

Thats correct.. And, if while your appying the epoxy, it starts to get thick, stop.. Scrap the mix.. Mix up a new batch to continue.. Multiple light coats are always better then 1 thick coat..

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: July 14, 2019 08:17PM

My biggest problem is after the application I almost always put my elbow where it doesn't belong !

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2019 10:47AM

Ron,
You could put a bracket in the ceiling and then run a rope through the bracket.

Tie the rope to your elbows and make it fast. Tie the rope such that it will be impossible for your elbows to touch your work and you should be good to go.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-21.myvzw.com)
Date: July 15, 2019 11:17AM

While your at it, might as well install a track system too, that way you can epoxy side to side while your elbows are already roped.. This way, theres zero chance of your elbows hitting.. Gets removes that split second after epoxy, and before you get yourself into the rope.. Alot can happen in that time.. Best to be cautious

Date: July 15, 2019 11:18AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ron,
> You could put a bracket in the ceiling and then
> run a rope through the bracket.
>
> Tie the rope to your elbows and make it fast. Tie
> the rope such that it will be impossible for your
> elbows to touch your work and you should be good
> to go.

Roger ,

You may be on to something there . I'll check it out and get back to you .
I usually dip a brush in Acetone and apply over elbow infected area and it smooths back out . Have to be careful how long you use it though .

Date: July 15, 2019 11:22AM

Anthony Unger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While your at it, might as well install a track
> system too, that way you can epoxy side to side
> while your elbows are already roped.. This way,
> theres zero chance of your elbows hitting.. Gets
> removes that split second after epoxy, and before
> you get yourself into the rope.. Alot can happen
> in that time.. Best to be cautious

Now your talking my language !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster