I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon fiber grip removal
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: July 05, 2019 03:53PM

Has anyone successfully removed carbon fiber grips? I only ask as I have a few sets on rods that have broken and might like to try and salvage them. My guess would be to try and boil them just as you do cork. I tried the search function but didn’t find anything

Thanks
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon fiber grip removal
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 05, 2019 04:44PM

A piece of thin brass tubing, just larger than the rod blank where the grip is mounted, can be used to slide down and cut the core just beyond where it is epoxied to the blank. Since the rod is broken, you can just cut the blank just in front of the where the grip is mount and use the tubing from that point.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 05, 2019 04:50PM

That Mr. Kirkman is an excellent idea!

may be could put in slow turning drill to make process easier

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 05, 2019 05:17PM

I have used cork borers for many years, they come in handy for various tasks. They come in various sizes and store nestled together, and are basically a sharpened piece of metal tubing with a handle. I just recently removed several carbon fiber foam core grips from broken rods. Selected a cork borer that matched the blank diameter and twisted into the grip and the grip came off very nicely. The foam core is very easy to cut making the grip easy to remove, much easier than cork.
[www.amazon.com]
Norm

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 05, 2019 05:28PM

what Tom said and maybe take a 6" file and sharpen the tube edge and cut some teeth in it with a triangle file..also is a good way to cut popper bodies from flip flops..lol.

Date: July 05, 2019 05:41PM

Awesome ideas Gentlemen, that seems like a really slick way to do it!!

Thanks again
Tom

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 05, 2019 06:18PM

Boiling will not work as the foam is too good an insulator and you will not be able to soften the epoxy adhesive. And as Bill mentions below boiling will soften the epoxy grip coating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2019 08:30PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 05, 2019 07:34PM

Not sure it is a good idear as the epoxy will not be very good after it is heated , the fiber is put on the foam with epoxy , so I don't think is will be worth much ,
if you get a thin metal tube an cut it off , like stated above , then fill the void with on the new blank with epoxy , if it was me I would get a new grip an install .
Fiber or cork , I can see all kinds of problems with this but who knows , it could work well for you

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: July 05, 2019 09:08PM

Reality check...

This can't really be worth the effort, right? Just buy new ones for a new rod. On the rods I've broken, or my friends have broken, I save the guides and the reel seat if it's a fly rod. Everything else goes in the dumpster. Life is too short to be salvaging easily replaceable things like this. Otherwise you end up with a garage full of junk, and your children will have to deal with it one day.

Drew

Date: July 05, 2019 09:41PM

It takes no more time to salvage the carbon fiber grips than the guides. These grips are basically bullet proof. If it’s usable why not salvage it? The ones I salvaged are on other rods currently being enjoyed and used, with no loss of function. Of course I had the proper tools for doing the job. I have had the cork borers for over forty years, and like I’ve said they come in very handy for doing a number of different things, including inletting. Brass tubing in various diameters will also work very well. If you have to go out and buy a set of borers just to remove one grip, then it’s not worth the cost. Like any other type of tool, if you have a continual need for it then it’s worth the expense. I have a hard time throwing away useful items, I guess it was the way I was raised.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2019 08:18AM

Normal,
Thanks for the link:

[www.amazon.com]

I have had this tool in my tool box for the last 10 years and could never figure out a good use for it. I have no idea where it even came from so that it ended up in my possession.

Take care
Roger

Date: July 06, 2019 02:12PM

Drew

Reality check back to ya.... I am smart enough to salvage something and make use of it later, why junk it when is is perfectly usable? These Will not go on a customers rod but I will use it. The process took about the same time it takes to ream a new one... so there is your reality check. You are welcome to do whatever you like but I will go the route of utilizing my mind for something constructive vice making smart mouthed comments

Tom

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2019 02:24PM

I don't think Drew intended to make a "smart mouthed comment" and in some instances he's right about time versus what it is that you're saving. But the technique I offered, and which many may not have been aware of, allows the removal of such a grip in very little time, which makes salvaging a grip, that is rather time consuming to make in the first place, very much worth the small effort.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: July 06, 2019 03:40PM

Yep-Meant no offense Thomas, so no need to overreact. But I stand by what I said. If you can get the grip off in 3 minutes with tools you already own, go for it. But if you need to buy new stuff, to salvage old stuff, you need to think through it. Now if you're just interested in the salvage process for it's own sake, go for it.

And, If you have a business, and you spend an hour to salvage a used part that you could buy new for $20, you are definitely wasting your time.

Drew

Date: July 06, 2019 03:59PM

I love recycling parts from or repairing broken rods. There are a lot of kids around here that get free rods from me. I also donate them to causes that help needy kids go fishing. Part of the fun of rod building is seeing a big smile on a kid’s face. Some of these kids are adults now and have passed the rods down to their kids. I have also sent a lot of old salvaged parts to other rods builders looking for old discontinued components to repair vintage rods.There are a number of rod builders here on this site that I have sent these salvaged parts to, free of coat. Love doing it.
Norm

Date: July 07, 2019 09:52PM

Drew sorry I came across as taking as offensive but generally when someone prefaces their thought with a statement such as reality check it tends to put one one edge. I do appreciate the apology though! I agree that ones time is generally one of the most important parts of this craft. I only want to salvage these grips because I do have a large amount of time in creating them. If it’s a cheap component you are completely right in your time being more valuable!!

I was able to remove these grips in less than 5 minutes so it is completely worthwhile IMO.

Date: July 08, 2019 01:55AM

what method did you use to get he blank section out of the grip ??????

William Sidney
AK

Date: July 08, 2019 01:55AM

what method did you use to get he blank section out of the grip ??????

William Sidney
AK

Date: July 08, 2019 12:15PM

I used a reverse pilot bit on one set and on another I used a piece of tubing that I sharpened .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster