I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

white rod grips
Posted by: Don Green (---.lightspeed.moblal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 03, 2019 03:03PM

Have had a few inquiries for white or pearl rod grips. I sure wish Winn would make those colors, it surely would be a blessing for me. my question is, do they even exist?
Thanks, Don

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: white rod grips
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2019 03:08PM

Hello Don.

MudHole has EVA grips in white.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2019 05:46PM

You have a lot of options here. Ross Pearson has written several articles for us detailing how to paint EVA and Cork grips. There's one option. White nylon cord can be wrapped on as a grip. There's another option. Standard white EVA is a third option.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: July 03, 2019 07:37PM

Tom do they still offer white flocking?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2019 08:20PM

Good question, but I believe they do.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2019 08:58PM

Don,
As you may imagine, the idea of a beautiful white rod grip is not a great idea for having a great looking rod for a long time.

A person takes the rod out one time for a long hard day of fishing and the white grip will be less than a white grip.

But, if you have a client or yourself that wants a white grip - by all means go for it.

Tough to beat a black grip for easy long term care and good looks.

But that is what makes the world go around. Different strokes for different folks.

Be safe

Posted by: John Keys (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 03, 2019 10:25PM

Roger, just a thought. I have white plastic handled butcher knives that get bloody when I cut meat, to clean them I use a 50/50 mixture of bleach and water. This cleans the blood stains, the stubborn stains a little brushing does the trick. I also use this method on old cork handles with much success. I agree that the white handles would a pain to keep clean, but that is the price you pay for what you get.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (143.59.156.---)
Date: July 04, 2019 09:13AM

Happy 4th! The magic eraser works wonders for cleaning cork and EVA grips.

Posted by: Don Green (---.lightspeed.moblal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 04, 2019 09:49AM

Thanks for the info. I knew I could count on you guys. I think I'II hold off on the white for now.
Thanks again, Don

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 04, 2019 10:02AM

Harnell rods had white grips.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2019 11:07AM

John,
I also have a group of kitchen knives with white nylon handles and I have no issue in keeping them clean.

But nylon or plastic does not absorb stains and dirt. If you are speaking of a rod grip that is a solid plastic or nylon as some of the manufacturers have gone to - in the interest of cost and production, I don't think that there would be any problem at all to keep the grips clean in between uses.

In addition, in a kitchen, I would hope that folks who work in a kitchen frequently wash their hands. i.e. one does not want a Chef or other person who prepares the food be doing it with soiled or dirty hands. Thus, the typical hands that hold kitchen, or butcher knives are pretty clean before the knife is picked up.

That may or may not be true of the user of a fishing rod who may be using live bait, worm bedding, slime from fish being caught and released and in the heat of the search infrequently wash the hands.

Take care

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2019 02:09PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: July 04, 2019 12:44PM

Why not turn a set of grips from nylon? You could overbore to reduce weight much the same as one does with wood grips. Then simply use a couple arbors. You also have the option of a white carbon sleeved grip using material from Soller. Use permagloss for a coating that won’t yellow. Might be able to use the new CT’s epoxy but it is spendy and not the standard 1:1 we have all become accustomed to .

Posted by: John Keys (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 04, 2019 04:45PM

White carbon fiber, problem solved.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster