I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping thread
Posted by: James Clark (---.mobile.uscc.net)
Date: July 02, 2019 07:14PM

Brand new to rod building. From reading your posts I have learned a lot about guides and spacing and want to say thank you for sharing your knowledge. Now my question, I am mostly going to be building bass rods with a few catfish. How do I determine what thread size to use?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2019 07:14PM by James Clark.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping thread
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 02, 2019 07:40PM

Size "A" thread is used for most, other than heavy rods where "B" & "C" are used. Nylon has very significant strength, so even though "A" appears thin, it is strong.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 02, 2019 08:04PM

If you are just starting, I would suggest using B or D. For a beginner they are easier to use and pack better, and still give good looking wraps. Even though size D thread is about twice the diameter of A, it takes half as much D to wrap the same distance, making the difference in weight negible. Once coated with finish very difficult to tell the difference. Size B or C gives you something in between. ProWrap and Hitena both sell size B, finding size C is more difficult to find. For trim wraps I only use size A.
Norm

Posted by: James Clark (---.mobile.uscc.net)
Date: July 02, 2019 11:52PM

Thank you for your responses. I hope this turns into an addiction that will eventually pay for itself.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2019 01:49AM

James,
When wrapping use A size thread, unless you have a reason to use heavier. Normally fresh water rods to not need anything heavier than A size thread.

Also, do yourself a favor if just starting to wrap rods.

By yourself a good head magnifier with 1.5, 2 or 3 power magnification.

Also, use a good lamp to illuminate your wrapping area.

Too many folks wrap in an area that is not well lighted and do not use magnification.

With a good light and good magnification, it is very easy to see and to work with the size A thread for a perfect job..

An example of an inexpensive head band magnifier with several different magnifier power lenses enclosed.

[www.amazon.com]

Items as listed above are available from a large variety of sources.

Be safe

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2019 02:26AM

2nd the head magnifier. My girlfriend bought me a jewelers magnifier with different lenses that lights up and it saves me,plus if you get it all looking good under magnification,to the naked eye it looks amazing! Size A thread will be just fine for you,and by practicing on a used blank you will be able to try trim bands,getting used to epoxy finishes,and making your thread wraps look like a million bucks. My advice is to GO SLOW. Good luck ,there's so much to learn and these guys here are a great resource. I also recommend subscribing to Tom's magazine. It is a beautifully laid out and informative publication. I need to renew my subscription.

Robert

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 03, 2019 07:58AM

All good recommendations above. Here is a final

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Spouse or significant other might think you have developed a fetish. Just tell them you finally understand cleanliness is next to Godliness!

Seriously, clean hands do not contaminate those perfect wraps to which you will apply a perfect epoxy finish.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2019 09:17AM

Hello James - Size B thread, as suggested by others is a very good size thread to work with. It is easy to wrap and covers well with thread finish. Here is a link to the Pro Wrap size B thread - [www.mudhole.com] - If you have any further questions, my email is listed below - Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 03, 2019 09:23AM

I recommend trying "D" size thread. Also Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. You can't wash them enough. It pays off big dividends.

Have fun
John

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 03, 2019 11:06AM

James
My 2 cents worth - A or B size thread. Ditto the clean hands!
Rog

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: July 03, 2019 01:37PM

When i started i had A, B and D size threads and did not find the larger sizes any easier to wrap with than size A . The overwhelming majority of builders wrap guides with size A thread so there's probably a good reason why that is but all work in the end.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: July 03, 2019 02:32PM

Size A is all that is required for rods under 30-50lb and, being smaller in diameter, will look a bit better simply because it is more difficult to distinguish each individual thread of the wrap. Although size A would probably suffice, most heavier and saltwater rods are wrapped with size D. Norman has a valid point and suggestion to start with D for a few rods simply because it is a bit easier to work with for a number of reasons. I am glad I did for my first half-dozen builds and suggest you consider doing so as well. I also discovered early on of the importance of FERQUENTLY washing my hands. Also, when not being used, put the spools in a container to isolate them form UV and airborne dust and other contaminates. Cookie tins work great. GOOD LUCK!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster