I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod finish on EVA and MEK to clean
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: June 30, 2019 12:09AM

Ok, so i decided to go a little crazy on this pink rod here.. 2 rules... Black, and neon hot pink.. So i painted the blank, went with a EVA grip.. Didnt look quite right with your standard standard run of the mill EVA setup so i decided to put grooves in it every 1/4" or so.. Looked pretty cool that way.. But i still wasnt really happy.. So i decided to put metallic pink thread in the grooves.. Looked really cool... It was a full grip until one of my roller stands decided to fail at about 1000rpm.. Thankfully the rod didnt give as the oscillation was quite dramatic.. But i did manage to somehow rip a chunck our of the EVA.. So now its a split grip.. Lol

Anyway.. So i had to figure out a way to seal the thread in these grooves over EVA.. I used a rod finish similar to permagloss that doesnt setup as fast.. (Thank you lynn) it does eat the plastic shot glasses i use though.. Which is odd since it Really is like permagloss.. And just in case we cant discuss the particular product im refering to due to rules put the capitol letters together... Come Play Xtra.. (Thats allowed right?) Unlike permagloss, this stuff seems resisitant to alcohols after it hardens.. So i got some MEK from work.. It stands for Methyl Ethyl Ketone.. I read somewhere.. Another board somewhere... Cant remember... That that product will clean up with alcohol when its still tacky, and keytones when its hardened..

It really does.. MEK worked wonders.. Prior to using MEK i would have to sand the EVA down and hope i dont hit the thread... The stuff is nasty strong.. But doesnt eat EVA or damage the graphite seats...great for cleaning up excess epoxy that leached out onto the grips as well.. Im sure if you put this stuff directly onto a rod blank it would probably destroy any intgrity.. Heck, i spilled a drop outside on my porch and it ate through the paint.. Like i said, nasty stuff, but it works..

Has anyone else heard of using this stuff for anything else in rod building? Did i make a horrible mistake and the world is going to end now? Why do girls always want things to be pink? (Honestly? This rod is really fricken cool! Lol)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod finish on EVA and MEK to clean
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 30, 2019 08:57AM

Antony

I have used MEK as a solvent and it is excellent for removing grease and oils and does not leave a surface film. MEK is a constituent in the glue for PVC pipe.
Great care must be taken when using MEK it is highly flammable, potentially explosive and may cause serious health issues. It must be used in a ventilated area to avoid fire and inhalation.
There are many grades of MEK depending on the purity required, from laboratory grade to the grade sold by Lowes or Home Depot..
Any health issues will depend on the amount of MEK you use and the personal protection you use.
I personally prefer MEK as a solvent but I am extremely cautious when using it. I don't use directly from the quart or gallon container I transfer it to a 2 or 3 ounce container to keep the volume down in case of a spill.
Before using MEK I test it on a obscure surface to check for compatibility.
Remember Safety first.

John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2019 11:37AM

Anthony,
MEK is a very strong solvent that works very well for many purposes as you have mentioned.

However, you should always be using rubber gloves when handling the solvent, and the best place to use it is out of doors with a mild wind blowing cross wise over you and your work. You want the breeze to carry away the fumes before they get to your nose and your brain. Sniff too much MEK and it never has a good outcome for your inherent sensibilities.

The reason to use rubber, nitrile, or latex gloves when handling this solvent is that the solvent may be absorbed into the body through the skin. So, if you have your finger or hands in the solvent, the MEK may end up inside your body.

i.e. the stuff can kill if you breath too much of it.

But, used correctly, as you pointed out, it can do an excellent job of cleaning.

Be safe

p.s.
Here is the SDS data for MEK -- or Methyl Ethyl Ketone

[www.kleanstrip.com]

Date: June 30, 2019 04:53PM

Thank you for posting the sds.. I should have done that right away.. Since we use this at work regularly i have read the SDS thoroughly.. Its honestly one of the safest cemicals we use.. I splashed a little drop of acid on my arm the other day.. Its a mix of sulfuric, miriotic, phosphoric, and nitric acids.. Nasty stuff.. Thankfully i only have a minor burn..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2019 05:08PM

Anthony,
I was taking a chem lab while I was in College.

I was heating a mixture of Nitric, and Sulfuric acid in a test tube when the test tube broke, spilling the contents of the test tube.

I was wearing a lab coat as well as protective glasses. When the acid dropped there were some that spilled on my shoes. The shoes began to essentially burn, so i kicked them off before the acid got to my feet.

Fortunately, the acid did not quite burn through all of the layers of the leather shoe to get to my foot, but the accident certainly gave me a visual warning of the effects of the heated acid mix.

Be safe

Date: June 30, 2019 05:45PM

The concoction i got on my arm when added to water will explode.. Thus always add mixtures to dilutant... Not the other way around..

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 30, 2019 10:52PM

I've been saying for a while that Come Play Xtra is better than Peat Moss Gloss. (or trying to)

Date: June 30, 2019 11:47PM

Huh huh.. Peat moss... Lol

They have thier places.. I kind of prefer peat moss over come play.. Its a little thicker.. Come play is a little too watery at first... Imo.. But, with the extended life i wouldnt have been able to hit the grooves.. Still had to do it in 2 cups..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster