I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Are new bottle inserts needed?
Posted by: Scott Lawrence (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: June 29, 2019 07:50PM

Hi Guy's,
I need to order my 2nd epoxy kit and was wondering do I need to get new bottle inserts and new syringes. I always keep the syringes in separate ziploc bags. Cheers.
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are new bottle inserts needed?
Posted by: David Parsons (---.s16300.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: June 29, 2019 08:10PM

you can use the inserts again you can clean them with alcohol. you might want to keep a spare set of syringes around because after awhile they get messy I tried cleaning with alcohol and it took the markings off

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 29, 2019 10:34PM

As long as you don't mix things up , they will work for a long time , if you mix things up , by new , yes DNA will remove the markings, so don't clean just wipe with a clean paper towel , just use till the COWS COME HOME AS I SEE IT & do

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2019 11:29AM

Scott,
I like to keep some spare syringes on hand, in case I need a replacement or if the current one, gets tough to use or dirty.

There are many sources for replacement syringes.

This is just one example - where you can purchase 20 syringes that are suitable for thread wrap finish use for $8.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2019 10:03AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 30, 2019 11:49AM

Neither the 20mm or 24mm bottle cap inserts fit the Thread Master bottles I use.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2019 11:53AM

By the way,
I do not use syringe inserts for my thread finish.

Rather, I use an appropriately sized blank cut off to slip over the end of the syringe to be able to reach the bottom of the finish bottle.

Then, when I am finished, I cycle the syringe a couple of times to remove the finish from the syringe as well as the syringe extension, wipe it off and place it into a vertical test tube to finish draining. After use, the cap on the finish bottle is replaced and I move on. i.e. the finish bottles stay sealed tightly when not in use and there is no possible chance of losing finish due to a loose cap that may get tipped over on a finish bottle.

Be safe

Posted by: Thomas Bell (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 30, 2019 01:03PM

Be careful with the syringes with the black seals on the plunger. Some manufacturers use silicon lubricant on these seals.
I use the all plastic 5 ml syringes and they are cheap. Don't know if the link will work but Granger sells them: Plastic syringe, Luer Slip, 5 ml product # 19G339

[www.grainger.com]

TJB

Posted by: Thomas Bell (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 30, 2019 01:08PM

PS, I just pry the old bottle inserts out and place in new bottles. Or you can just drill a hole in the cap to fit the syringe.

TJB

Posted by: Scott Lawrence (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: June 30, 2019 04:24PM

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.
Cheers Scott

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 01, 2019 07:53PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Scott,
> I like to keep some spare syringes on hand, in
> case I need a replacement or if the current one,
> gets tough to use or dirty.
>
> There are many sources for replacement syringes.
>
> This is just one example - where you can purchase
> 20 syringes that are suitable for thread wrap
> finish use for $8.
>
> [www.amazon.com]
> fic-Measuring-Refilling/dp/B07P25XH8Z/ref=sr_1_11_
> sspa?keywords=plastic+syringe+with+straight+tip&qi
> d=1561908382&s=gateway&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1

Great that you put up a link to Amazon when most of the suppliers on the sponsor list sells the syringes.
Myself, at least would choose to buy from a sponsor of this site.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: July 02, 2019 06:38AM

Stay away from the ones in the Amazon link. They have rubber wipers that tend to break down when you least expect it and leave debris in your finish.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2019 06:56AM

Hey Lance good to see you posting

Roger is pretty good at ignoring the site rules and linking to other sales companies who do not support this site

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 06:59AM by Steve Gardner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster