I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat with smallest outer diameter?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: June 29, 2019 07:01PM

What is the reel seat (for a spinning reel) with the smallest outer diameter?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat with smallest outer diameter?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2019 08:25PM

You could say it would be a 16, but there are some skeleton type seats that get you almost all the way down to the blank in the mid seat area. These are ergonomic nightmares, but some like the look of them.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2019 09:25PM

The smallest reel seat for a spinning reel is no reel seat at all.

Just take the reel and use tape to tape it to the blank and you have the smallest reel seat possible.

I would not recommend doing this, but if you want small - this is how you get it.

Good luck

Date: June 29, 2019 10:21PM

Thanks Tom.

Roger, 'smallest reel seat' is different from 'no reel seat just as 'a smallest person' is different from 'no person at all'. LOL. .

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2019 11:31AM

Hello Mo.

What about plate real seats?
You just wrap them on with your favorite size thread then either go fishing or epoxy the threads and make it permanent to semi-permanent (if after a while if you don't like it its easy to cut off).

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2019 11:42AM

MO,
Then, look at it this way. Put 4 wraps of tape on the blank to protect the blank. Then, tape the reel to the reel seat formed by the 4 layers of tape and you have a small sized reel seat that is as thick as 4 layers of tape.

Another thing that you can do, is to wrap the blank with cork tape and then tape the reel to the blank that has been wrapped with cork tape.

This method is often used when surf rods are built. i.e. these larger diameter surf rod butts really need very little in the way of a build up and the cork tape works well as a reel seat. But, of course the general builders of surf rod that use cork tape for a rear and fore grip will put on an appropriately sized reel seat to take care of the needs of the larger reels that are used for this style of fishing. Then, after the larger reel seat is placed, the rod is wrapped with cork tape for rear and fore grip.

Best Wishes.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 30, 2019 11:51AM

How about a fly rod reel seat.
Norm

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 30, 2019 12:57PM

hi Mo..maybe you can select a flex coat urethane arbor with the diameter you need..then flock it and tape your spin reel to it..

Date: July 01, 2019 01:24AM

Thank you everyone for your replies. I consider my question answered....:) Roger, thanks for elaborating. Robert, forgot about the plate reel seats - I have a bunch in my basement- thanks for reminding me. Everyone else, THANKS for taking time to reply. As always, I'm grateful for how kind this forum has been.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster