I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Inshore blanks
Posted by: Brett Mahoney (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2019 06:00PM

I am looking at building some rods that will be used for inshore live bait fishing 7' 8-14lb range matched with 2500 reels with 20lb braid, I am trying to decide what blank will work best. I am open to all suggestions right now I am considering the Batson revelation line or maybe some mhx blanks just don't have a lot of experience with either, what would you recommend?

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inshore blanks
Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: June 25, 2019 06:05PM

Take a good look at the Bushido CB and LS series... you will love them

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 25, 2019 06:19PM

What species of fish are you targeting, how big are the fish you anticipate catching, and what conditions challenge landing these fish - like snags, current, sharks, or other predators ?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 25, 2019 06:35PM

I'll add what bait? Casting a shrimp has little risk of tearing the bait off. Casting some other baits requires a limber tip.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: June 25, 2019 07:24PM

Brett
I have around 10 builds on MHX blanks and all perform nicely! Big bang for the buck and a huge selection to choose from. As to the Revelation blanks, I have 2 in the shop waiting to be built for myself. I seems I just can't get the time to get them started!! They are next!!
Rog

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2019 07:53PM

Don @ American Tackle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Take a good look at the Bushido CB and LS
> series... you will love them

+1

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 25, 2019 08:03PM

Rodgeeks C2SW 70 MLF is a perfect blank for this application.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 25, 2019 08:36PM

I have been thrilled with the performance of the RodGeeks blanks . I prefer blanks from the surf series for my inshore blanks because i find an 8 footer superior to rods in the seven foot to seven and a half foot range especially when distance is needed.

[rodgeeks.com]

[rodgeeks.com]

[rodgeeks.com]

[rodgeeks.com]

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2019 09:04PM

Also check out the Liberty blanks from Get Bit Outdoors. They are very good for the money and there is a good chance they are going to be on sale for July 4th. I built a P703 mainly for inshore popping for slot drums and speckled trout and it works great. If you are targeting bigger fish near structure I would step up to the P704.

Posted by: Brett Mahoney (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2019 09:11PM

Sorry for lack on info, I will be targeting slot reds and a 30" red would be a largest and not all too common, I will also be targeting trout and flounder. The bait I will be using will vary on the season can be shrimp, mudminnows, mullet, menhaden, really anything. I will fish around structure but rarely in a situation where it is a battle on inches of pulling the fish out like you snook with snook on docks so the rod I go with most likely be a 8-14lb medium power rod. For storage purposes and maneuverability on the boat I find 8' to be too big and 7' to be just right thanks for the recommendation though.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far keep them coming, I will ad that the rods I have used and liked are St. Croix avid and legends if that helps people understand the rods I am looking for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2019 09:17PM by Brett Mahoney.

Posted by: Don Mang (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2019 10:00PM

I am not as experienced as most here. But I built a MHX L905 for flounder it is 7'6". I was pleasantly surprised how light it is and how well it handles.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 25, 2019 11:03PM

Well, you know what St. Croix brings to the table. Be advised moving forward you will buy those blanks from rodgeeks at a better price. To me they are the epitome of what I call a spin-jig blank. Perfect all purpose inshore blank.

So for all those reasons I think it wise to try something a tad different. I'm going to suggest a popping blank. I like the Immortal line (or revelation if they are too much money) by batson/rainshadow. The medium or medium heavy would seem correct for your needs. Go medium if you are catching trout/redfish and MH if bigger reds and snook are on the menu.

Point Blank is another name to consider.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 26, 2019 12:41AM

I was used to fishing St. Croix blanks for years including Legends, Avids and Tidemaster models but i was convinced by the guys on this forum to try a Rainshadow so i ordered the Immortal inshore popping blank , i ordered the MH version in the 7'6 length and i actually sent it back not because it wasn't a nice blank etc.. it was because it was very very different than what i was used to and i didn't care for it .

I ended up checking out some RodGeeks models at the expo two years ago and liked those a lot more , i spent a ton of time at the Rainshadow booth and went through every blank i could get my hands on and the only one that was close to what i like was the Judge but it's ratings didn't fit what i do . I really think it's a matter of what you're used to and your personal preference , i love 8 foot inshore blanks that are fast action and are rated 3/4 -3 or 1.5 -3.5 or in that general range and Rodgeeks offers that option but my personal preference has nothing to do with the quality of Rainshadow blanks.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2019 08:39AM

Hello Brett -- Here is a link to MHX Light Saltwater blanks that are excellent for what you are wanting to build - [www.mudhole.com] -- Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 26, 2019 11:05AM

Hi Brett, it’s definitely a great time to be into custom rods as there’s so many quality blanks out on the market.
Specifically from our RainShadow lines, here's a few different models that are best sellers for us for and fit what you are looking for.

Immortal IMMP70M, our highest end popping blank. Specs: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
Revelation REVIP70M, you can never go wrong with a Revelation blank. Specs: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
RX6 SP843, this is one of the best selling blanks period, especially in the Gulf for us. Specs: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 26, 2019 12:00PM

Mr. Canter,
A rating up to 3 or 3.5oz would indicate a power a quite a bit greater than anything we offer in any of our our inshore popping series. It sounds like you may prefer something more like a cobia/tarpon blank, or even a live bait stick. If I'm on the right track I'd be happy to make suggestions from another Rainshadow series with models more closely matching your power/action needs. In an effort to come up with a suggestion, I also checked out the rodgeeks offering and couldn't find the 8' models you referred to above. I assume you may be purchasing a custom model from them in bulk, or possibly a discontinued model?

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2019 06:46PM

Hello All.

I like the ATC HS-7000 for 6-12lb range, I still have a dozen of them, for the kings & dolphin I like the Seeker GTS70L, it is a 15-30#.

The newer stuff I would go with Billy and the Rodgeeks C2SW 70 MLF or maybe stick with a Batson HS in the line range you want.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: June 26, 2019 07:04PM

Hello Geoff, check out my first post not the second.

" I prefer blanks from the surf series for my inshore blanks"

I have the below model .

[rodgeeks.com]

Actually your new surf blanks do fit what i like for inshore fishing , i would of jumped on the 8 footer if it was available at the Expo two years ago but it was not available yet , i was hoping a higher end Immortal in the 8 foot length with similar ratings to your new 8 foot surf rod blank would be offered but no such luck ..

The Tidemaster inshore in the 8 foot length in medium heavy power is the kind of blank i prefer and quite similar to the RodGeeks in overall feel , ratings and stiffness . You're right the Immortals are very different and have a very different taper and i did go on the Rainshadow forums and discussed what i like but it was quite apparent you did not offer this type of blank in the ratings and action i prefer at the time and the new surf models weren't out yet .

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: June 27, 2019 07:36AM

The American Tackle LS 7 8-15 is a great blank for what you described. Pair it with a 2500 Shimano Stradic CI4 and it enjoy for years and years. I have 6 of these set ups for my inshore charters and they perform incredibly.

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: June 27, 2019 11:24AM

Well heck...can't be left out of this feeding frenzy

POINT Blank 7ft Medium Fast.

At the end of the day, your face is tired from smiling so much.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster