I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pro-Wrap Tiger for Ferrule Wrap
Posted by: Robert Nypaver (---.mnfd.qwest.net)
Date: June 22, 2019 07:55AM

I'm working on a build of a four piece, 13' centerpin rod on a Batson Rainshadow 1563-4 blank. I'm using Pro Wrap nylon size A for the guide and decorative butt wraps. I have some Pro Wrap tiger which would go well with the color scheme of this build and I'm thinking of using it for the three ferrule wraps. While the Pro Wrap tiger is listed as an "A" size", it is noticeable thicker than regular A nylon. It appears to be two strands of A thread twisted together. I don't have much experience with the Pro Wrap tiger and I have a couple of questions: 1. Will using this tiger for ferrule wraps effect the performance of the blank, i.e. stiffen the ferrules noticeably? 2. Will it add extra weight to the build, as compared to regular A nylon? 3. Will it be as strong a reinforcement for the ferrules as regular nylon? Generally speaking, is Pro Wrap tiger suitable for guide wraps?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro-Wrap Tiger for Ferrule Wrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2019 08:14AM

Thread wraps don't stiffen the blank nor ferrules. Yes it will weigh more than smaller diameter thread but the difference will be miniscule. It will be fine for a ferrule reinforcement wrap and there is no reason you can't use it for guide wraps.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 22, 2019 01:32PM

After reading so many comments from manufacturers claiming there is absolutely no need for ferrule wraps with their blanks i wasn't sure what to believe and wrapped the ferrules anyway . I received two new blanks a few months ago and decided to call and talk to a few blank designers from some of the top manufacturers in the industry about it . They convinced me not to bother as it will only add additional weight as their ferrules are triple reinforced and rock solid . I was also told they're so confident in the strength of their ferrules that they guaranteed against failure .

Well i decided not to bother and man they were right , i fish these rods super hard and throw weights at the upper end of the blanks rated limits with power and no issues whatsoever , the whole look is much much sleeker and streamlined and i'm happy to avoid any extra weight which is an added bonus.

I should say that if you're wrapping for clients and a seller of your work, i would still wrap them because the customer expects to see that because it's been the norm for decades , i'm talking about my own personal rods. The percentage of those who continue to wrap ferrules is approx 98% , they make every excuse in the book to ferrule wrap and think not wrapping is crazy , thats fine but i'm not one of them.

I experimented, ( Did i say that) and it payed off convincing me to forget ferrule wrapping .

Not all manufacturers are in agreement on this topic but ferrule strength and tech have come a long way .

In regards to your situation , just keep the ferrule wraps short or make two short sections not one long one and you will be good to go even with the heavier thread.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2019 03:36PM

Herb,
Perfectly fine that you do not need to wrap the joint.

But, I will continue to wrap the joint because it is what I prefer to do. I prefer the look and any weight gain is absolutely undetectable to me when I use the rod.

But, by all means, build as you like and do as you like.

That is why we call this profession - "Custom rod building."

Be safe

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: June 22, 2019 05:05PM

Make sure to use CP as Tiger wrap is not color fast . I know , I didn't and had to rewrap that whole rod .

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2019 05:18PM

Some companies still advise to wrap the ferrule. Others say it is not necessary. We covered the different companies and their respective policies in a RodMaker article a few years ago.

When in doubt, call the company or just wrap regardless.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 22, 2019 05:49PM

i would never purchase a blank from a company that would trust me to reinforce their rod..lol.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2019 08:51PM

Don't know about now, but the old G Loomis rods were wrapped with "B" thread, they worked fine.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 22, 2019 09:02PM

I want to make sure Roberts questions are answered so i will attempt to answer a few and move on from whether to wrap ferrules or not .

# 1 question : Will using this tiger for ferrule wraps effect the performance of the blank, i.e. stiffen the ferrules noticeably?

Tom answered this one already , i prefer two short approx 1/2 inch length wraps instead of one long continuous one but not a big deal either way in my view.

# 2 question: " Will it add extra weight to the build, as compared to regular A nylon"?

I believe Tom answered that one as well .

# 3 question: " Will it be as strong a reinforcement for the ferrules as regular nylon and is Pro Wrap tiger suitable for guide wraps" ?

Just checked and Tom was on top of this question also .

Seems we're all caught up then , i'm glad i was able to answer all your questions , sometimes others chime in and offer assistance but it wasn't necessary this time .

Yes, folks i'm joking.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2019 11:07AM

Hello Tom.

The articles (2) on wrapping or not on the ferrules were in the V-11 / I-4 / Pg.-16 and V-18 / I-4 / Pg.-22.

Hope that helps.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster