I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Popping blank vs mb
Posted by: Chris Forslund (32.211.43.---)
Date: June 21, 2019 09:52AM

I was just wondering what techniques guys build on popping blacks for as compared to mag bass. So far I've used them for crankbaits and chatterbaits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Popping blank vs mb
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2019 01:57PM

I've been using Batson's 8 ft XP964 popping blank for square bill crank baits for close to 10 years now.
It is amazing for that technique
Also great for top water prop baits

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2019 02:10PM

Many, many years ago before they were the branded "Crankbait Blanks", we used popping rod blanks for cranking rods. The original, true to from popping blank is generally a blank that would have a softer mid and tip flex than a mag bass, that has a powerful butt and mid section with a fast tip. Some finesse bass anglers also like the popping blanks and as Steve Gardner mention, top water prop baits or top water poppers.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 21, 2019 02:46PM

I’d say mag bass for single hook and popping rod for treble hooks. Truth is both are versatile for both fresh and salt water.

Steve, I have that blank but know nothing about “square bill crankbaits”. Care to recommend a few suitable for south Florida waters.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 21, 2019 04:57PM

A blank with a "powerful butt and mid-section and a fast tip" precisely describes a hot-shot blank. I suspect blank marketers have invented several different names for the same blanks to boost sales.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 21, 2019 05:30PM

Right, Phil. I use a ML 7 foot Rainshadow popping rod for snapping 4 " swimbaits on darter head jigs off the bottom. Just seems to give it the right acceleration. SMB and walleyes.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2019 07:35AM

I enjoy popping blanks (7' & 7.5') on the coast for speckled trout. I typically will use one for an all around rod that could catch trout, drum, or flounder on any cast. My favorite rod is a 7.5' popping blank (Lamiglass, but manufacturer isn't that important), with a conventional casing reel, with spiral guides. My guide pattern uses a bumper guide like the simple spiral, but it isn't the SS concept...it has the bumper guide, yes, but the 180 guides were laid out per static delflection (which isn't how a SS is done).

The soft tip of a popping blank, along with the strong mid & butt sections, just seem to work for most of what I do. I use it for pretty much anything...even ocean fishing for small bluefish and false albacore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster