I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flexible winding checks
Posted by: Chuck Brezen (---.pools.cgn.spcsdns.net)
Date: June 20, 2019 05:04PM

A local rod builder near me uses rubber winding checks that are extremely tough but very flexible. They will pretty much do everything I have built so far. The ones I have been getting are .375 and will accommodate blanks over .60+ with no problem. I don’t mind buying a few from him when I need to but it’s a long drive and I’d like to keep these on hand. He told me “they have their own factory that makes them”. I find that hard to believe but irregardless they charge up the wazoo for them and I’d like to buy a little inventory. I’ve gotten some rubber checks from several companies and none are close to being as stretchy as these. If any of you know off anyone who supplies something like that, please let me know. Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flexible winding checks
Posted by: Gregg Zambrovitz (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2019 05:13PM

Hi Chuck,

We carry a variety of Silicone and Rubber Winding Checks in black and in various colors.

You can find them here:
[www.mudhole.com]

Hope this helps, call us if you need any help at 1-866-790-7637 - thanks.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 20, 2019 06:04PM

Never tried the silicone ones but i have tried all Mudhole's black vinyl or rubber ones and they stretch a little but not a lot , eventually decided to not use winding checks at all , anyways the silicone ones are likely to stretch the most.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 20, 2019 06:31PM

The black ones Herb mentions are my favorites, if I choose to use a check. They can be very attractive, but only if you totally encapsulate them in wrap epoxy. I usually have a hook keeper and wrap in the area, so I take the epoxy right over the black winding check, forming a nice filet encapsulating the check. This makes the check REALLY black, and the filet is a nice transition, and it looks much better than not covering the check with epoxy. And, by being encapsulated, I don't think they will ever fail.

No experience with silicone.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: June 20, 2019 10:48PM

Chuck,
They may stretch good now, but over the years they get harder, check, than fail if stretched a lot. Best to not get to carried away maybe an eighth of an inch max.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2019 12:27AM

Chuck,
Just a little English lesson:

irregardless --- is not a word.

Rather, use the word regardless to convey your meaning. The word irregardless is essentially a double negative and means nothing.

---------
From the dictionary:
[www.merriam-webster.com]

---------------------
But, best wishes on your search for the winding checks of your choice.

Be safe

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2019 01:23AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chuck,
> Just a little English lesson:
>
> irregardless --- is not a word.
>
> Rather, use the word regardless to convey your
> meaning. The word irregardless is essentially a
> double negative and means nothing.
>
> ---------
> From the dictionary:
> [www.merriam-webster.com]
> ess
>
>
>
>
> ---------------------
> But, best wishes on your search for the winding
> checks of your choice.
>
> Be safe

Tough crowd...

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 21, 2019 10:30AM

One word that gets a lot of vitriol is the word "irregardless." There is a dictionary entry for "irregardless." "Irregardless" is a word. This inspires specific vehement hatred in people. "Irregardless" is a word and we're duty-bound to enter it.

"Irregardless" is a word. It is related to "regardless." It is actually a blend of two words. It's a blend of "irrespective" and "regardless." People hate it because they say that it has no use — why not just use "regardless"?

But actually in the dialect that "irregardless" comes from, it has a specific use that doesn't translate well in print. It's basically an emphatic use of "regardless." So if you're a native speaker of certain dialects that use "irregardless" you use "irregardless" to shut down further conversation on a topic. I might say, "Dad, let me borrow the car. I'm a really good driver." And he'll say, "Regardless, I'm not comfortable." I'll say, "Oh but come on. I'll get it detailed, and I'll put gas in it." He'll say, "Irregardless, no."

The point of the "irregardless" is to shut down conversation. So "irregardless" is a word. It has a specific use, in particular dialects. That said, it's not part of standard English and so — especially if you're writing or if you're speaking in formal places — you want to use "regardless" instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2019 11:53AM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 21, 2019 11:11AM

Chuck my friend , i have never seen this happen before so it's not the norm , as to your initial question , i don't think there is a source to load up on flexible winding checks unfortunately, silicone i believe is your best bet , have a good day.

Posted by: Chuck Brezen (70.97.209.---)
Date: June 21, 2019 11:38AM

Wow! Sure didn’t mean to cause such an outcry for grammatical precision. I’ll be sure and dot the I’s and cross the T’s from now on. Thanks again for the help!

Chuck

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 21, 2019 12:16PM

I do like the flexible black vinyl winding checks and keep a good supply of different sizes on hand. Janns Netcraft sells them for 30 cents each. Get several different sizes to fit the blanks you normally use. [www.jannsnetcraft.com]
Norm

Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: June 21, 2019 01:33PM

Chuck I have used the silicone ones a few times from MH. They stretch a decent amount, clean up easy and look good.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2019 05:24PM

Chuck,
Did not mean to raise an issue or cause a problem about a word.

However, as one of the other respondents stated, not a good word to use in front of a formal presentation or on the air if you are so blessed.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 21, 2019 05:40PM

It is not a good word to use for anything, regardless of intent, regardless of whether verbal or written. :-) It means without without regard. Which sounds a lot like with regard. You can find ain't in the dictionary, too. Doesn't make it right. Just means it's getting explained.

But if you haven't tried it, encapsulate the flexible checks and you'll like the result. Intense, glossy black, streamlined shape.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-240-135.myvzw.com)
Date: June 22, 2019 09:33AM

Dag gum yall sur is some edumacated folk op in hear, earegrtless wat som sae.

I mostly use anodized aluminum winding checks and I coat them like Michael does the rubber or silicon. Mud Hole is a good source for just about any type of winding check.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: June 24, 2019 09:52AM

You guys have the wrong ideal, you need to get orientated to another word that causes problems or elks people will get upset.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 26, 2019 01:48PM

I don't know what you mean on load up on winding checks , but Mudhole has a box of them [ 50] of the BLACK ones , cost is cheep as I see it ,

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster