I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Most Effective Fly Guides
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: June 24, 2019 06:31PM

Ben,
You brought up a very good point which I had not considered. Tape will allow a Tennessee handle of any shape or contour while fixed-diameter sliding rings dictate the handle is either straight or straight. Good observation. Even so, I have to admit I am still partial to my composite rings.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 24, 2019 08:32PM

i can understand your being partial to them..they are nice looking rings..good work Mark.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 26, 2019 05:34PM

There is little sense in putting a dozen top-dollar guides on a mediocre blank, no matter how carefully you space them.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2019 02:42PM

What Phil said.
You will find out soon enough that life is too short to drink cheap wine, bad so-so food and fish with "price-point" fly rods.
Herb

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: June 27, 2019 09:23PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> You will find out soon enough that life is too
> short to drink cheap wine, bad so-so food and fish
> with "price-point" fly rods.
> Herb

Yes-but one of the real pleasures of building your own fly rods is making great rods out of carefully selected but (*relatively*) inexpensive fly blanks like Rod Geeks or St Croix. It kills me to pay a Sage price for a rod I can make that fishes as well or better for 1/3 the price. Now that St Croix has given up on the Rod building market, the Rod Geeks are the sweet spot of quality and price. Not that I don't like Sage but the pricing is insane.

I'm actually unhappy that St Croix no longer supplies SCV fly blanks, because those have built into some of my most favorite fly rods. Maybe RodGeeks can bring them back.

Drew

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2019 08:48AM

Drew Pollock Wrote:
> Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > You will find out soon enough that life is too
> > short to drink cheap wine, bad so-so food and
> fish
> > with "price-point" fly rods.
> > Herb
>
>
> Yes-but one of the real pleasures of building your
> own fly rods is making great rods out of carefully
> selected but (*relatively*) inexpensive fly blanks
> like Rod Geeks or St Croix. It kills me to pay a
> Sage price for a rod I can make that fishes as
> well or better for 1/3 the price. Now that St
> Croix has given up on the Rod building market, the
> Rod Geeks are the sweet spot of quality and price.
> Not that I don't like Sage but the pricing is
> insane.
>
> I'm actually unhappy that St Croix no longer
> supplies SCV fly blanks, because those have built
> into some of my most favorite fly rods. Maybe
> RodGeeks can bring them back.
>
> Drew

Drew - agree with you 100% - but my guess is that you have never casted a fly rod built on a CTS blank.
All my customers who were Sage and T&T guys now have their sages in the back on the closet - never to be used again. Or they are relegated to their kids or guests.

The CTS blanks are an addiction once you use one. Lively, crisp, light in the hand.
My history was building and fishing Sage, Dan Craft, Gatti(Italy), T&T, TL Johnson. Andy Dear introduced me to a CTS Maxim blank and I was hooked. Subsequently I built on nothing but CTS blanks. I will admit that every once in a while I will build on another brand - just to satisfy myself that nothing can touch CTS. I am never disappointed. Of course this costs me money - but I can usually get some of my money out by selling them.I fish nothing but CTS' and most who try them will do same.
I do give a discount to members of RB.org - BTW.
Regards,
Herb

Date: June 28, 2019 10:39AM

A fly caster who does not double-haul won't cast more than 40' or so, no matter what rod he is using - and I have never found a fly rod that won't cast 40'. It is not too unusual to see fly casters who can't cast 40' displaying an $800 or $900 fly rod (!?) for the same reason Minnie Pearl left the price tag on her hat. There are no DOUBLE BLIND fly rod casting comparisons. If there were my money would go on TFO Axiom II blanks and BVK blanks - but only if the results were measured, not "felt".

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 29, 2019 12:00AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
> There is little sense in putting a dozen
> top-dollar guides on a mediocre blank, no matter
> how carefully you space them.

I agree, but you see the problem is the people who do that NEVER really consider the blank is mediocre, in their mind they are convinced it's a superb blank and for their use maybe it is . You would be shocked at how different peoples opinions range on what they consider " Top shelf " and what they consider "Mediocre ".

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 29, 2019 11:06AM

it,s fun taking a so-so blank and trying to build a top dollar rod out of it..you would be surprised how close you can come..it,s that feel thing again..lol.

Date: June 29, 2019 01:12PM

Ben: It should come as no surprise "that feel thing again" is usually reflected in practice by observed measurements and facts - but not in advertisements: "that soulful feeling" or in plugs by touts: "ACME rods are the smoothest casting, lightest feeling, most accurate feeling rods I have found!"

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 29, 2019 02:28PM

Advertising is tricky , recently on some rod manufacturers websites i find them saying " We have invested more in research and development than any other rod manufacturer" and i never take that seriously because the ones that i find saying it the most haven't been in business anywhere close to some of the others & these others are giants who are known for ultimate tech & development .

I guess i need a lot more convincing lol.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 29, 2019 11:56PM

Phil, I know you are a double haul fanatic, but I strongly disagree that you MUST double haul to cast over 40 feet! I consistently, can cast over 60 feet with my CTS 9ft 5wt using a Rio Gold floating line and no double haul.
And, frankly, I think I can double or single haul with the best of them.

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster