I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX Surf Rod SU1208F - Guide Question
Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2019 12:10AM

Reel = Daiwa 6500BG -50lb Braid

Leaning towards KW guides. Can I use KT guides as running guides or do I need the beefiness of the double footed KW guides (as well as guide size 12)?

So many choices, ideas, concepts, theories.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX Surf Rod SU1208F - Guide Question
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 19, 2019 01:51PM

KT guides are fine for the runners as are KW's for the transition guides but that reel weighs 29+ ounces, thats exceptionally heavy for a surf spinner .

Date: June 19, 2019 02:02PM

BG 4500 or 5000 are the reel to choose for a 10 foot medium heavy powered rod , the 5000 holds 360 yards of 50 pound braid weighs much less than the 6500 and will balance brilliantly on the 10 footer the 6500 is a total mismatch .

BG4500 5.7:1 43.1" BRAID: 50 pound 270 yards / 22 oz weight

BG5000 5.7:1 47.4" BRAID: 50 pound 360 yards / 22.6 ounce weight

BG 6500 5.3:1 48.7" BRAID: 50 pound 550 yards / 29.9 ounce weight

If you are sticking with the 6500 it will still work it will just be ridiculously bottom heavy thats all .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 02:08PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2019 10:06PM

Thanks for the replies. I could use the extra workout!

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2019 10:28PM

Jess Brindisi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the replies. I could use the extra
> workout!

Nahhh get the BG 5000 .

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.55.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 20, 2019 04:03PM

I did a 12 foot earlier this year, using the KW as transition guides and the KT as runners. I put a locking wrap on the runners just for insurance.

Date: June 20, 2019 06:21PM

A 12 foot rod would be a much better choice for the BG 6500 but still not ideal as i have a CTS 12 footer that i strapped a 27 ounce spinner on just to check balance and it was still bottom heavy ( Which is better than it being top heavy) but still far from ideal . The 12 footer balanced great with a 24.5 oz reel . A 29 ounce reel will balance very well about two and a half feet up from the butt of a 13 to 14 foot surf rod if you were to lay the rod across your finger at that distance point . Two feet to two and a half feet up from the butt is where most will prefer to place their reel seat on a rod like this .

A 10 foot surf rod which the OP said will be his choice would balance brilliantly about two feet up from the butt if you were to attach a BG 5000 at that point. On rods this size the guide type and sizes won't impact the balance point much at all but will impact how the rod casts and it's recovery rate.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.sub-174-204-7.myvzw.com)
Date: June 20, 2019 06:37PM

Based on the feedback, I sent the 6500 back and got a 5000 along with KW guides for the whole rod.

Date: June 20, 2019 06:39PM

Thats FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats, you made the right choice and will have a setup you will enjoy fishing a lot more.

Date: June 20, 2019 06:51PM

The one guide that i believe you will need to start with is a KW 30 not the KW 30 L because it's height is ideal although the ring size is larger than i would prefer for braid, even 50 pound braid but the KW 25 isn't tall enough . The 25 ring size is ideal but the height just doesn't work with that BG 5000 spool & how high the reel sits off the blank . Always a tradeoff and Fuji only offers a high frame double foot 25 in the RV frame style which is $$$$ so i hope one of the guides you chose was a KW 30 .

KW 40 is way overkill and won't offer any benefit whatsoever unless you were spooling up with 30 to 40 pound mono which you're not.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.sub-174-204-7.myvzw.com)
Date: June 20, 2019 06:58PM

I’m a step ahead. Size 30 guide is my starting guide.

Date: June 20, 2019 07:09PM

You asked about single foot guides and can they be used , yes, they can be used either the KL s or the KL-H KR concept ones but the double foot KW's are more popular for surf rods . Double foot's are not necessary by any means but people tend to think they are and choose them more often for surf fishing applications . It greatly depends on how much abuse the rod gets and how rough are the conditions where you fish .

Posted by: Fon Tze (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2019 01:05AM

Interesting read, I am in the process of building a 10' surf with Shimano Stradic 5K and have been going back and forth between single/double foot and 30 or 25 size Fuji.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster