I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon fiber grip epoxy
Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2019 08:02PM

What is the difference in the 5 to 1 epoxy sold with the carbon fiber grip kits and the 1 to 1 epoxy we use for thread wraps, etc.? Can the thread finish epoxy be used for building the carbon fiber grips?

Jon Hood

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon fiber grip epoxy
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 17, 2019 08:12PM

The thread finish is a casting resin. You want to use a laminating resin. Big difference between them.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: June 17, 2019 08:15PM

The first stuff is the same stuff used to fiberglass boats. Much more structurally stable, and probably much cheaper.

Date: June 17, 2019 08:16PM

But when multiple layers or coats of thread finish are put on the threads - isn’t that kinda the same process?

Jon Hood

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 17, 2019 09:55PM

Could Tom K. chime in on this ? I know I do it with a few coats of thread EPOXY an it comes out very well . don't know about the life of it { YEARS } ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2019 11:19PM

There is no real structural requirement involved when skinning a foam core grip. Therefore you can certainly use regular finish type epoxy to do it. But, as one of the others above stated, it's going to be a lot more expensive to do it that way. You might not want to buy additional epoxy to do just one grip, but if you do this on a regular basis then thread finish epoxy isn't the most economical means available.

Date: June 18, 2019 05:54AM

Tom - So if I understand - it is basically the same. In that case - can the laminating epoxy be used for thread wraps?

Jon Hood

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2019 07:54AM

I've only built one carbon fiber skinned grip so I may be off here, but it seemed like the laminating epoxy when dry, was harder than thread epoxy. I had a dish of unused laminating epoxy on my work table along side a dish of unused LS Supreme and pressed my thumb nail into them, (both had been there for more than 24 hours) and the laminating epoxy felt harder.

The laminating epoxy was the stuff that comes with the CFX grip kit that Mud Hole offers.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2019 08:17AM

No, they are not the same. But skinning a grip doesn't require a great deal of strength to hold the skin to the core. Either can be used in that instance.

For coating thread wraps you could use what you're calling a laminating epoxy, but it's not formulated to have the same properties as finish epoxies. Expect drastic yellowing, cracking, among other things.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: June 18, 2019 10:03AM

The epoxy on CFX grips is prepegged into to sleeves, the same basic stuff on graphite blanks, it's baked in just like
blanks. Same as the NFC grips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster