I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Overhead DH casting fly rod characteristics
Posted by: Sonny Hernandez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2019 10:39PM

I’m looking to build a travel (6pc) DH fly rod for beach fishing. The casting will be overhead style.

CTS has a semi custom option for the Affinity X blank, the longest being 11’6” and 6 pieces. I can choose to have the tip stiffer or softer than the base weight, as well as the butt stiffer or softer.

I need advice as to what kind of characteristics would be best for overhead casting.

Thanks,
Sonny

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overhead DH casting fly rod characteristics
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 15, 2019 02:57PM

What does "DH" fly casting mean?

Posted by: Sonny Hernandez (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 15, 2019 03:13PM

Sorry, DH = two handed.

Date: June 15, 2019 07:18PM

I assume you refer to spey casting?

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 15, 2019 08:58PM

If spey casting is two handed then i suppose thats what he means but he has made it clear that he plans to use both hands to allow longer casts , whether it's the exact "Proper" terminology i don't think he cares one way or the other .

The below takes you to what he's asking about , click on the "Action" options.

[ctsfishing.com]

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2019 11:42PM

Hey guys - an overhead (OH) cast with a DH rod has nothing to do with Spey casting. Further - a Spey rod makes a lousy OH rod.

Sonny - your email address is hidden.

11'6" blank is too short for a proper OH rod for the surf. A single handed rod with a proper double-haul will out perform any DH rod under 12'.

I have worked developing DH blanks for the surf for many years using CTS' blanks. At the same time a friend from the UK was doing the same. I started at 11'0". The UK friend started at 14'0"
We both finally settled at 12'9".
The challenge to developing a DH blank for OH casting is to design a 12' + blank with the characteristics of a SH rod. Much more difficult to do than it seems.
Contact me if you want pricing on this blank. You will not find it on the CTS website.
We have made it in 2pc and 4pc blanks. 6 pieces will require additional engineering and will probably require an up-charge.
regards,
Herb
U.S. Distributor - CTS rod blanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2019 11:44PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 16, 2019 12:08AM

Sonny , i can tell you with 100% certainty that dealing with Herb is a pleasure , i have bought a handful of CTS blanks from him and everything was super smooth with great communication , he won't steer you wrong and will set you up with exactly what you want.

Date: June 16, 2019 07:17AM

Herb C.
Thank you very much.
Herb L

Date: June 16, 2019 10:14AM

I never heard of DH fly casting or one-handed fly casting and can not imagine how to fly cast any way except double-handed - but new stuff comes along every day. When I saw "DH" I concluded it referred to double-haul, and wondered what rod feature(s) promote double-haul casting?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 16, 2019 02:39PM

Double handed casting is with both hands on the rod, which is different then single handed. Most surf casters cast double handed whether is with spinning, cast or fly.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 16, 2019 02:59PM

and when you get up in years, it,s the only way to cast big wind resistant hair bugs for bass any extended time..

Date: June 16, 2019 06:15PM

Ben,
I gave up on double handed (DH) - aka two handed rods for the surf 4 years ago - and I turned 81 this month.
I used to use the DH rods in the surf in 25-30 mph winds. I no longer want to expose myself to the surf generated by high winds. Therefore fast single handed rods using integrated lines with short (25-30') heavy heads.
Herb

Date: June 17, 2019 01:45PM

Can you double-haul when you fly cast double-handed?

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 17, 2019 03:00PM

no you can.t double haul but you don,t need to because you can apply much more effort to the back cast and make an even stronger forward cast and the line shoots with authority, maybe too much..this is not for delicate presentations but the bass don,t mind, lol, especially at night..gotta get that hair-ball out there..lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster