I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What say you ....
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2019 05:03PM

I'm faced with a bit of a conundrum so I am going to ask a question and see if there is any kind of a consensus among the fine folks of the site.

You receive a new blank, you sight down the blank to check how straight it is, understanding that not all rod blanks are straight. You're one that builds on the blank's straightest axis so dealing with a blank that has a slight curve to it is of little concern to you. Guide placement and gravity are your friends in making the blank appear straight once your build is complete.

Ok, so you sight down the blank and see something troubling ...... the blank has gentle curve (no biggie) but about 4 inches from the tip of the blank the blank has a turn in it that is 90 degrees from the curve in the blank. The turn isn't severe, but it is enough that you can see it when sighting down the blank.

What do you do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What say you ....
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 14, 2019 05:20PM

I'm with you 100% here, one slight curve no problem, another in a different direction would definitely put me off. That to me is a QC issue.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 14, 2019 06:37PM

A sudden "crook" can be cause for concern. I'd contact the manufacturer and ask their advice.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 14, 2019 10:00PM

Ask their advice and ask for a new blank.

Date: June 15, 2019 01:05PM

I just e mailed the supplier. I figure I'd see what they say first. Either way, I'm not happy with the blank I have. I may be being too picky because as I said. the turn or wiggle in the blank is not severe, But it's there. This is an no expense spared gonna build one sweet rod on one sweet blank kind of build.

I'm quite certain the situation will be rectified to my satisfaction. The supplier and the blank manufacturer are board sponsors and both of them have outstanding reputations when it comes to customer service. The only big bummer is that I could be wrapping guides right now, instead of waiting to hear back from someone. Ah well ...... stuff happens.

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: June 22, 2019 04:59PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
But it's there. This is an no
> expense spared gonna build one sweet rod on one
> sweet blank kind of build

Demand a new straight blank , don't settle for less .

Date: June 27, 2019 06:28PM

Just an update ..... as mentioned I contacted the supplier and they told me that all warranty claims go through the manufacturer. Not really unexpected. So after dilly dallying for a few days (more like a little more than a week lol) I contacted the manufacturer. They are shipping me a new blank. The man I talked to said it would be going out that day. The only questions they asked me was what my name was and the address I wanted them to ship the blank to.

I was expecting to have to give them the order number from the supplier I got the blank from .... nope.

I was expecting them to ask me what the number on the sticker on the butt of the blank was ...... nope

I asked the gentleman to please check the blank they were going to send me and he assured me that in cases like this, he makes sure he sends the straightest blank they have. Outstanding !!!! So I'll hopefully have my new blank in a couple of days which will give me time to get the rod built before my next tournament. Summer temps have finally hit northeast Ohio and the smallies are going to be moving deeper. Perfect time for a drop shot !!!!

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 01, 2019 08:25AM

It sounds to me that the manufacturer went above and beyond to correct your problem.
In this day of beating up manufacturers publicly whenever people have problems
related to defects or poor usage, how about the name of the people that gave good service?
Compliments are good

Date: July 01, 2019 05:41PM

Yes Robert, compliments are definitely good. I didn't name the supplier or manufacturer in my initial posts because as I said then, the wiggle wasn't severe. I am pretty picky when it comes to that kind of stuff and I was thinking I may have been being too picky. Be that as it may ..... I am happy to report that when I got home from work on Friday the 28th, my replacement blank was leaning against the side door. Major surprise! I was thinking Saturday at the earliest. Pulled it out of its tube and that baby is as straight as straight can be.

The manufacturer who took care of be so well is Batson Enterprises. The blank was/ is and Eternity ETES610MXF. They discontinued the Eternity line and when I spoke to the gentleman on the phone he told me I got one of the last three that they had. Yay me !!! lol So it is Batson and their warranty department that deserves the major kudos

Thank you guys !!!! You rock !!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster