I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
10wt recomendation
Posted by: Conor Crowley (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 14, 2019 02:12PM

Hi all, I am looking for some suggestions for a 10wt fly rod blank. I will be using the rod for surf fishing for striped bass and I was thinking at 9ft rod would be reasonable. I would prefer to spend under $200 on the blank and I plan on using REC Ti guides on the blank. I looked at MHX blanks and some norfolk composite blanks but I am having a hard time choosing a blank. I want something with a pretty fast action that will really allow me to make some long casts.
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10wt recomendation
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 14, 2019 02:18PM

Here's a few more to consider.

[rodgeeks.com]

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 14, 2019 03:23PM

Rodgeeks is very affordable considering how good their blanks generally are. Great customer service, too. I have personal experience with their spin blanks, but not their fly as noted in another post.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2019 03:34PM

I'd spend a bit more and get a CTS Affinity X. I own a 10wt in that model, quite nice.

Contact Herb at HNL Rod Blanks. He is pretty well versed in blanks for Strippers.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 14, 2019 03:51PM

Our RainShadow Eternity2 ETEF9010-4 10wt is 9-foot and what we often recommend for saltwater, you can find it for right around that $200 mark from our dealers. You can checkout the specs here: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: June 14, 2019 03:54PM

I have experience with Eternity 2's in 8 and 9 wts, and they are very nice rods. Definitely a fast action. I did not mention since I thought they were quite a bit over $200, but looks like they are not.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: June 14, 2019 04:17PM

The TFO BVK 10 wt. is a very nice blank, haven't tried the Rod Geek blank, but the St. Croix versions were sweet sticks.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 14, 2019 05:34PM

What ever blank you get, make sure you get a maker that supports the blank , not one that you can't get to , one that will contact you, check some of the old post an find out the
best support I think ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: June 14, 2019 07:08PM

Another RodGeeks vote. I've just finished 2 9 weights. Both blanks got the optional $15 paint job. The blanks were under $150 so well within your stated budget. I like their metallic paint and one is burnt orange and one is metallic red. Looks like a Ferrari with metal flake paint!

I also used the REC double foot guides, Fuji stainless corrosion control stripping guides (Titanium are ridiculous $$), and a Fuji TFST top. They are beautiful rods and in my test area cast great. Highly recommended and highly affordable.

Drew

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 14, 2019 07:23PM

You might consider a spey rod for fly-fishing off the beach.

Date: June 15, 2019 09:28AM

Re customer support, Rodgeeks and Rainshadow are both excellent.

Date: June 15, 2019 10:09AM

I own a 9wt BVK that I love, but figured I would see what else is out there before I bought the same blank in a larger weight. Are the rod geek rods pretty fast? I really want to be able to punch through some wind. I've considered a spey or TH rod for off the beach, but I have never casted one and I'm hesitant to build something I don't know how to use. I've heard a lot about the CTS affintity, maybe I'll check that out some more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2019 10:13AM by Conor Crowley.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2019 11:20AM

Thanks Bill.
Herb
U.S. Distributor CTS Blanks

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 16, 2019 12:20AM

Conor Crowley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I own a 9wt BVK that I love, but figured I would
> see what else is out there before I bought the
> same blank in a larger weight. Are the rod geek
> rods pretty fast? I really want to be able to
> punch through some wind. I've considered a spey or
> TH rod for off the beach, but I have never casted
> one and I'm hesitant to build something I don't
> know how to use. I've heard a lot about the CTS
> affintity, maybe I'll check that out some more.

CTS Affinity is above that of the Rodgeeks offerings , Rodgeeks fly rods are SC IV not even St. Croixs SC V . Affinity will be faster and it's the slimmest fly rod blank i have ever seen , was checking one out at the Expo , amazing .

Check out the reviews

[ctsfishing.com]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2019 03:44PM

If you want a good DH blank for overhead casting you'll have to design it like a single hand blank to my way of thinking. The spey casts and blank designs for them is a whole different kettle of fish, nothing alike. My single hand rods cast just as far overhand as any spey rod I've tried.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2019 11:56AM

Under $200, Fast Action, Very Powerful - The MHX 10 wt. will do the job - Here is a link - [www.mudhole.com] - Thank You!

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: June 19, 2019 01:47PM

Thanks for the all the suggestions. I'm leaning towards a 9ft 10wt affinity X. I initally planned on using REC double foot guides, but may try out american tackle TITAN guides, a #16 and #12 NIRLC and then 8 #8 NIRLF. Does anyone have any thoughts on that set up? I have not used any single foot guides before and they seemed like a happy middle ground.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: June 19, 2019 11:30PM

I have used the REC double foot guides for years and they are beyond excellent. For a high power rod, I think you'll be happier with double foot guides vs single foots. And honestly, the stripping guides don't matter that much since they are all good enough. For high power fly rods, I like 3 sripping guides, 20-16-12. The Fuji "corrosion control"l SS guides can save you a few $ and are excellent. If $$ are no object, the titanium ones are really great. You are in salt water so the more titanium, the better! Just remember your reel seat and reel are aluminum, so you still need to clean with fresh water each day after use.

I basically use only Fuji guides for the strippers and only REC guides for the running guides, so really can't comment on the TITAN guides. They are probably fine.

Regarding the tiptop, I use the TFSTs from Fuji. It doesn't look traditional, but they are far better than traditional fly tops. I used to use the TFATs and save a few $$ but they were discontinued.

I'd decide on a budget and then pick your components to fit. I've never used a CTS blank, and know nothing about them, but for $150 you are not going to beat a RodGeeks blank.

Date: June 20, 2019 10:51AM

Drew Pollock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have used the REC double foot guides for years
> and they are beyond excellent. For a high power
> rod, I think you'll be happier with double foot
> guides vs single foots. And honestly, the
> stripping guides don't matter that much since they
> are all good enough. For high power fly rods, I
> like 3 sripping guides, 20-16-12. The Fuji
> "corrosion control"l SS guides can save you a few
> $ and are excellent. If $$ are no object, the
> titanium ones are really great. You are in salt
> water so the more titanium, the better! Just
> remember your reel seat and reel are aluminum, so
> you still need to clean with fresh water each day
> after use.
>
> I basically use only Fuji guides for the strippers
> and only REC guides for the running guides, so
> really can't comment on the TITAN guides. They are
> probably fine.
>
> Regarding the tiptop, I use the TFSTs from Fuji.
> It doesn't look traditional, but they are far
> better than traditional fly tops. I used to use
> the TFATs and save a few $$ but they were
> discontinued.
>
> I'd decide on a budget and then pick your
> components to fit. I've never used a CTS blank,
> and know nothing about them, but for $150 you are
> not going to beat a RodGeeks blank.

I am newer to rod building, can I ask why you would prefer three stripping guides sizes 20-16-12? Are titantium reel seats common? I suppose I could look at those as well. I want something very corrosion resistant and lightweight.

Date: June 20, 2019 11:14AM

I've used both Amtak window seats and Alps aluminum seats on salt water fly rods with no corrosion at all. Longest duration of exposure in years is 8, a couple weeks a year. Always rinsed at the end of the day and more thoroughly cleaned at the end of the trip, before storage. I always use only 2 stripping guides on fly rods, then the same size running guide all the way to the end. I don't know of a titanium reel seat, but having said that, I half expect to be corrected. For my son he insists on a size 20 first guide, but I use 16's on my rods and don't see a performance difference. There is a lot of "opinion" at work here rather than "data."

I have used both single foot wire running guides and snakes, and I see no difference in casting distance. I prefer REC snakes for weight and corrosion reasons, and snakes over single foot for the reason that I believe they pass knots better. I grumble at having twice the number of wraps on the running guides.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster