I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Modification to Wright McGill
Posted by: Warren Bailey (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2019 06:50PM

Hello all. I’m new here.

I came looking for advise on how to modify a rod handed down to me by my grandfather. It’s a Wright & McGill “Sweetheart” 6’ casting rod. It is two piece, the rod section and the reel seat/handle section. The handle section is the “drop” type and its not comfortable to cast or fish with.

The butt end of the rod section has a ferrule that mates to the handle section. I assume there is a way to mate the rod to a new reel seat and handle, but I’m not sure how to do this. I have built one rod before. It was a spinning rod and that was around 1978-79 or so. I fished that rod enough to wear a groove in the guide closest to the reel. Anyway.....

The current handle is 18” in overall length with the reel seat starting 5” back. It’s cork and I would prefer using cork. Is it a matter of removing the rod ferrule, measuring it’s O D and finding a reel seat section with a matching I D and adhere them? Or build a reel seat section that accepts the existing ferrule?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Warren

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Modification to Wright McGill
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: June 10, 2019 07:03PM

Go to our library and look for the article on extending rod blanks. See if that's got any relevance to what you want to do. Your ferrule may not need to come off.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 11, 2019 08:58AM

Warren best of luck to you on extending your rod.

Tom

tomscustomrods.com

Posted by: Warren Bailey (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2019 10:14AM

Tom Wewerka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Warren best of luck to you on extending your
> rod.
>
> Tom
>
> tomscustomrods.com

Tom,

I’m actually still going to send it to you.

Thanks

Posted by: Warren Bailey (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 21, 2019 06:21PM

With the gracious help from Tom I added an extension to the handle. I used a 19” carbon fiber tube section found on Amazon. The ID of the tube I bought was just large enough to get a few wraps of mesh tape on for arbors. The OD was a fraction over 16mm, so I used a #17 reel seat. Reaming the cork out that large was a challenge but got it done with progressively larger drill bits up to 1/2” and finished it with sand paper a strip glued to a hard wood dowel. When finished the handle section was 17.25 inches.

I was able to get out today with it for the first time and caught some Stripers live lining spot. Pictured is the first fish caught on my new old rod. I really like how it turned out. Thanks to those who offered advice and thanks again to Tom for reaching out and helping me along.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster