I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank recomendation
Posted by: Tim Kipp (---.sub-174-254-64.myvzw.com)
Date: June 09, 2019 03:37PM

Any recommendations for a big river flathead blank. Approx. 30 pound class line, tossing some fairly heavy weights and big baits. 30 to 40 lb fish are the target. Checked a few musky blanks as the specs sound good but was hoping to find something white as it will mostly be used at night. Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank recomendation
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2019 06:02PM

Couldn't you just paint the tip white?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2019 07:16PM

Tim,
Use a hollow glass blank of the appropriate rating and then put a light and battery in the butt grip to light up the blank.
The light will shine up the blank and cause it to glow.

Then, when you get a bite, the light will move up and down the rod, since the rod is bending.

I traded for a blank like this quite a few years ago, that was prepped by an Idaho rod builder. The blank came from a location in California.

For night time cat fishing, it is really the ultimate rod.

The other thing that you can do is to take a conventional blank and spray it with glow in the dark paint. Then, use an LED flash light to charge the paint and it will stay lighted for a fair amount of time.

But, even if it is not glowing, just hit the rod with a nice bright led flash light and the paint will really let you know what is going on with the rod and the bite.

Be safe

p.s.
This you tube video was posted in 2012. So perhaps there are other rod and or blanks currently available. now:
[www.youtube.com]

p.p.s
It looks like Berkley glow sticks are still currently available in 2019

[mall.direct]

p.p.p.s
A review of some cat fishing rods to destruction:
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2019 07:23PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Tim Kipp (---.sub-174-254-64.myvzw.com)
Date: June 09, 2019 07:23PM

Yes David, that is an option we are cosidering. Also maybe some glow in the dark thread. Roger, I have heard about the light idea before. That is something I will research a little more. That would certainly be an awesome and neat set-up. Thanks.

Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: June 12, 2019 12:20PM

I believe some guys are using the X-Comps for this from Rodgeeks. Maybe Billy will chime in I think I remember him mentioning it

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 12, 2019 04:55PM

The RodGeeks X-Comps are a good choice, plus you can get them in any color you want.
[rodgeeks.com]
Norm

Posted by: Craig Gilbert (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 14, 2019 07:55PM

Roger, I am building a rod like this for a buddy of mine. I chose the rod geeks X-comp, with a white tip (too 70% of rod blank), and am planning to embed a small submersible LED in the butt end. Do you have any suggestions for how to mount/ fit the light? 1.25 in. Diameter is the smallest submersible I have been able to find. I want to make sure it seats firmly, with the batteries able to be replaced easily.

Posted by: Tim Kipp (---.sub-174-254-68.myvzw.com)
Date: June 19, 2019 09:01PM

I believe I'm settled on the rodgeeks x comp, 733. Looks like this blank should fit the bill. The color selections are awsome. This one will be white. On to researching the guide train now. Planning on a patriotic theme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 09:02PM by Tim Kipp.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster