I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fore grip
Posted by: James Trenner (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2019 11:18PM

Hello everyone,

First time posting on this forum. Hopefully I'm in the correct place for this topic. I'm building a Seeker S6460XH 6'0" rod 40-100lb with a 1.025 butt. I'm looking for a blue EVA foam fore grip. The largest one I've been able to find was on mudhole with a 5/8" ID. I'd like to find something a little closer to the rods butt size. If anyone could point me in the right direction to find one that would be great.

Thanks
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fore grip
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2019 11:33AM

Hello James.

When I need a grip with a larger ID I just buy a 2" X 2" block, drill to the size I need and shape it as I like on the lathe.

1st Question: They stretch a lot what is the dia where you are putting the grip, not just the butt size, you said a "fore grip" and I'm sure the rod has some taper to the tip, and with a rod like that your "Fore Grip" will start between 16" and 24" from the butt?

2nd Question: Where did you get a matching butt grip? Or is the butt grip a smooth butt?

3rd Question: Can you use a larger saltwater grip (they are up to 3/4" at MudHole) and put a blue flocked or smooth heat shrink tubing on it?

That's enough questions for now.

Hope tis helps?!*

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2019 12:45PM

Ream it to any size you like.

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: June 09, 2019 03:03PM

That grip should fit fine if it is indeed a foregrip. After the butt cap, rear grip and reel seat the blank diameter should be close. Never ream again...see Bill Havens grip installation on utube.

Date: June 10, 2019 12:40AM

Hey Bob,

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I can change the title but I was actually talking about REAR grip.

The tapered measurements are .925''-1.043".

I've already purchased the the blue EVA foam grip from mudhole. 5/8"

I tried to install the grip on the rod today and it didn't work out very well.

I almost had the grip in place, about 4" away, but as the rod tapered down the grip got smaller. A lot... half the size.

so, I think I have to moving to cork tape and the heat shrink stuff I guess.

Reaming it out would leave just about nothing left I think...

Thanks for the replies!

James

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2019 08:59AM

James,
If a grip is the appropriate size for the blank it can be reamed out.

A section of grip does not have to be very thick to just fine, very functional, attractive and functional.

Ream the grip properly. Glue it in place. Go fishing. You will be fine.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: June 10, 2019 11:54AM

Butt diameter isn't your concern so much as the diameter of the blank where the fore grip rests. What is the diameter where the rear grip, reel seat, and fore grip end? The grip can't be to large at that point.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2019 01:22PM

As I understand EVA,it takes the stretching less,as opposed to hypalon. It may split on you if not reamed close to the OD of where it will end up on the rod. Use a reamer you make or buy,or get a 3/4" reverse pilot drill bit. If you care to,try a short,2" or 3" piece of EVA with the 5/8 ID to see how much it can stretch before it may split. Skip the epoxy. Then once you decide to ream,or not,use the technique referenced by Grant above to mount it. While Mudhole doesn't sell a 3/4" reverse pilot drill bit,The Rod Room does.

Date: June 11, 2019 11:28AM

Hello James.

If you are set on the EVA feel you can buy a CRB XHD Straight Grip in black (They go up to 3/4") and cover it with the shrink-wrap.

On all my marlin rods I use the CRB XHD straight or tapered grips covered with CRB Flocked Heat Shrink Tubing over the top. It comes in a few different colors, I usually put it on the fore grip because I use "Aftco" style butts on most of them, but it works on both fore or aft grips.

MudHole has a video on how to install them or you can find video's on the web.

Hope this helps.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: June 12, 2019 12:20AM

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I ended up finding a 3/4" blue EVA grip. Hopefully this one will fit. I think it's close enough and if it's not I could probably ream it a little.

My buddy was telling me the hole time...cork tape and the heat shrink tubing.

But I was absolutely stuck on the blue EVA foam grip for some reason.

I think the rod will turn out nice... Hopefully.

Thanks again!
James

I'll update this thread hopefully with positive results once I get the grip on.

Date: June 16, 2019 01:08AM

We have success!

I guess having the correct size grip helps a lot.

I don't think it could've gone much better. I ended up taking boiling water, with the heat off, and set the EVA grip in while I mixed the epoxy. I painted the epoxy on the rod and poured the remaining into the grip. It slid into place like butter. Cleaned the remaining epoxy off. I put some painters tape right above the grip and gently snug a hose clamp on the rod so the grip didn't creep back up. I think it was 15 min epoxy but I let it set up for a few hours took the hose clamp off and all is good.

On to the reel seat.

Thanks again for the advice. This place is full of knowledge.

Until next time!
James

Date: June 22, 2019 02:04AM

Well since I have the grips and reel seat all done. On to the guides... As in my OP I've got a 6' 40-100lb rod. The guide spacing I'm thinking of using is from tip...5 - 10.5 - 16.5 - 24 -34.5 plus the tip. So thats 6 total. I'm wondering if I should add a guide? Any thoughts?

Date: June 22, 2019 10:17AM

Hello James.

Lines.
James, go to the library and read the article on "static guide placement", second from the bottom.

Good Luck.

Tight Wraps & Tighter

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster