I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Re: New to building
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.44.102.191.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: June 09, 2019 07:12PM

No apologies necessary, your more knowledgeable then me on this topic by far..

Question for gerald, what is your current setup? No matter how you look at it, the idea here is to create a rod better then the one you currently use.. When you decide on a reel, then decide on the guides..

A question about the KR system.. From what i understand, it was designed primarily for light line and braid.. (If im wrong correct me please) what is the line rating limit that starts to hinder performance? Or hasnt it been found yet..

Hey gerald, you said your new to building... How new? Have you built any rods yet? Or is this your first build?

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 09, 2019 08:06PM

Don Mang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> herb canter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A ton of suggestions have already been provided
> > Anthony , including the rainshadows , now
> when
> > you come across a post that has a few responses
> > but isn't getting any more responses that
> usually
> > indicates the info already provided is very
> very
> > good and there's really nothing else to add .
> On
> > another note, discussing performance
> > expectations based on price is extremely
> helpful
> > information to a lot of people regardless of
> the
> > type of fishing they do . It can help anglers
> > make sound decisions and avoid making purchases
> > that they end up regretting
>
> Or the post is only hours old.

For what Gerard wants to do the links and choices already given are the most popular , MHX makes a ton of blanks that fit the bill as does Rainshadow and Rodgeeks . American Tackle makes some great blanks but i'm not familiar with them.

Date: June 09, 2019 08:55PM

Anthony Unger:

"A question about the KR system.. From what i understand, it was designed primarily for light line and braid.. (If im wrong correct me please) what is the line rating limit that starts to hinder performance? Or hasnt it been found yet"

Anthony the KR concept is great as you said and you're correct about it tending to be geared for lighter lines especially braid . The software for it lets you choose spinning reels up to size 5000 which is right in the middle of spinning reel sizes that are offered by manufacturers and i would guess a very popular size for heavy fresh and saltwater use.

The KR software only allows you to choose line sizes up to 20-30 pound braid and 14-17 pound mono , this is what the software allows you to do , nobody knows the limits but the spinning reel chosen will have a sizable impact on that meaning the smaller diameter the spool the heavier line you will be able to use , the larger diameter the spool the lighter the line you will have to choose for the setup to work optimally . Remember the largest ring diameter for both the single foot KR and double foot KR is a 25 size ring .

The KR concept is offered in single frame guide sizes starting at a KL25H , KL20H, KL16, KL12,KL10 ETC...down to as small as you would want to go and a double frame version which is the RV25H , RV20H, RV16H , KW12M , KW10M the latter two guides were specifically made to be used in the KR concept double frame RV reduction train as their height is higher than the KW12 and regular KW10 .

I use the KR concept single foot guides on one of my 11 foot surf rods and the double foot RV guides on my heavier 11 foot surf rod , the performance is out of this world, i never use braid over 20 pounds though and that right there is a huge factor in why the setup works so well . If i had chosen to use 30 pound mono or 65 pound braid my guide choices would have been completely different .

I do quite a bit of test casting with heavier braid than i would ever use in fishing situations because heaver line reveals guide setup mishaps which are much much easier to detect than testing with lighter line , light braid will work well even with poorly laid out guides but heaver braid will not , heaver line will reveal problems right away .

Hope this answered your question my friend.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: June 09, 2019 09:35PM

That is some very good info.. Thanks herb, it makes sence about heavier line showing issues.. And i may start doing that honestly.. Granted, i use mono primarily, been meaning it pick some braid up and give it a try.. I am primairly a ultralight fisherman, and river rods (6-12lb, 7' mainly)and wish i learned about the KR system sooner..

Thanks herb

Verry good explinantion...

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 09, 2019 09:39PM

Guy asked a simple question, look where it got him.

Date: June 10, 2019 12:55AM

Yeah, it looks like it got him not only a bunch of great blank choices to choose from that fit exactly what he's looking to do but he also got very helpful info about performance expectations and why it's wise to not overspend and end up being disappointed if your expectations aren't reasonable . Gerard also asked the below question:

"What would you recommend for guides? I’ve been using spinning reels my whole life"

It's a good thing Anthony asked about details of the KR system , the info provided i feel is a pretty simple but relatively thorough summary of what the KR system is about although i feel for Gerard's specific application and what type of fishing he is going to be doing a more basic guide system will work just fine.

Remember Gerald HAS NOT decided on what type of reel yet but since he said he was most familiar with spinners thats what my comments were pertaining to .

Date: June 11, 2019 04:35PM

No argument here Herb, just surprised the post took off like it did!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 13, 2019 10:18AM

As far as I know rod guides have three important variables: size, height, and durability. What makes the "KR System" unique from other guide trains? [I assume this system pertains only to spinning rods, not fly rods or rods for conventional reels.]

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-9.myvzw.com)
Date: June 13, 2019 10:50AM

The placement.. Its basically a 4 guide reduction train.. If you follow the KRGPS it has remarkable results.. Place the rest of the guides in static placement.. I use the KR system with minima4 guides.. Makes for a extremly light guide train.. As for fly rods and conventional, i cant say.. But i will say, its better then cone of flight imo

Date: June 13, 2019 03:33PM

Anthony: Would guides of the same diameter and height as KR guides benefit equally from the KR system?

Date: June 13, 2019 04:30PM

Ok, these are my personal findings...

The KR guides are smoother, quieter, and just sexy in black..
The minima model M guides with model F runners and a model FM tip top are extremly light.. Casting distance, and accuracy is not effected, however the minima guides are ringless, so there is more of a tingy sound when casting, and they dont feel as smooth.. But the advantage of less weight is worth it to me in the applications ive used them in.. My go to MHX 5'6" UL weight is just under 2oz. With the minimas...

I have used guides that are not as tall, but simular to the reduction train placed in KR and it improved the casting, accuracy, and feel of the rod exponentially..

The KR guides are in my opinion worth every penny, but for ultralight fishing the minimas surve as a great eco substitute...

In conclusion, the KR system will improve ANY blank reguardless of the cost.. Ive placed them on a walmart special, minima and Fuji KRs, improved the preformace exponentially with both sets.. The system works.. Verry well

The KRs are the best for the system i feel.. But a simular guide set will accomodate.. Norm turned me onto the system (And the minimas) and boy do i wish i knew how great it was earlier.. Honestly he is the man to ask that question to..

I mainly do ultralight fishing mind you.. But have done plenty of rods with KR layout for rivers and lakes..

So yes, yes there is a diffrence in 'feel' and sound.. But i dont think much of a drop in preformance.. Whats lost in preformace was gained in weight..

You should start a thread on it..

Date: June 13, 2019 07:34PM

Phil, Anthony speaks the truth here!

Date: June 14, 2019 10:54AM

Thanks. It's very difficult to separate advertising hype from reality. I don't do much spin casting anymore but I will see if I can borrow a rod featuring KR guides and compare it to another with a different brand of guides.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-11.myvzw.com)
Date: June 14, 2019 12:07PM

Where are you located phil? I seem to remember your fairly close

Date: June 14, 2019 07:24PM

Daytona Beach

Date: June 14, 2019 10:32PM

Yeah.. Your no where near me.. Lol im in pa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster