I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pflueger Rocket No. 1345
Posted by: Joseph Ortiz (---.evrt.wa.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 07, 2019 07:01PM

I was handed a box of old reels the other day and naturally, I want to build some rods for some of them. I particularly think this little Pflueger Rocket looks pretty cool, not even sure if it has been used, but I am not sure what I want to do with it. It has no drag, just a leather thumb brake. I can’t imagine many applications, around my area, where no drag would be a desirable feature.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what kind of rod/ application it might have traditionally been paired with? Maybe recommend a blank or two I should look at? Whatever I do with it I want to keep in mind, and have at least some nod toward, its history.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pflueger Rocket No. 1345
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 08, 2019 06:13AM

A True Temper or Heddon rod. Not sure of that reels age but early to mid 1950's was about the time fiberglass rods started to take over. True Temper used to be American hoe. The square steel ones were more common but the tubular ones were nicer IIRC. Those old knuckle buster reels were a pain to cast but they would fish bait just fine today. You just have to get used to using your thumb as a drag. Best to use Dacron line.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2019 08:42AM

if it is new or close to being new.
It's antique value, may be enough that you would not want to diminish it from use.
Might be worth doing some research to find out

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2019 10:54AM

Anything from bass to steelhead will work, Seelker E, or S glass blanks would be a good start, they have the best variety. MHX has some S glass blanks in the bass, light inshore spectrum.

Date: June 08, 2019 03:48PM

Thank you!

I don’t think any of the reels are really worth much. That rocket, because it is in such good condition with a box and instructions might fetch $50 from what I could tell. With most things, including these old reels, I am inclined to save or conserve historic items. I think I want to either find an old rod or make a retro-looking rod, use it on a couple of sunny days and hang it on a wall somewhere. One of those old Heddon or True Temper rods would be great if I come across one.

Not much bass fishing around here, but I could see it making a nice steelhead set up…

I need to get more familiar with Seeker, and after reading all the positive comments regarding MHX, Im starting to come around to the idea of giving them another chance.

Thanks again for all the help gents!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2019 07:14PM

The Seeker FSH832B, is real close to the Fenglas FS83C, easily the #1 rated fiberglass steelhead rod of all time, and one of the all time most popular, if not the most popular, blanks Fenwick ever sold, as it did many things so well on other species and techniques.
Fantastic drift rod, same pulling plugs.

Date: June 08, 2019 07:56PM

Thank you Spencer. I think I might want to get a few of those blanks! I have no idea why I was so ignorant about Seeker. I didn’t even realize they were US made (knowing where my products come from is very important to me). I think I had it in my head that they were more of a saltwater manufacturer and kind of just dismissed them.

Since I have started to really troll through this site and gradually doling out my silly questions, my learning curve has greatly accelerated. I really do appreciate those of you who share your time and knowledge on this site. It is immensely helpful and appreciated!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster