I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chatterbait/spinnerbait blank
Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.3.---)
Date: June 05, 2019 08:42AM

What are your favorite graphite 7ft blanks for throwing mostly 3/8oz and 1/2oz spinnerbaits and chatterbaits?

Thanks,
Dan Grulke

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chatterbait/spinnerbait blank
Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 05, 2019 10:45AM

From RainShadow, we have 7’2” models not a 7’ but these are what we’d recommend from our lineup.

My personal favorite is the Immortal line IMMC72M, so a couple inches longer but otherwise fits what you’re looking for. Check the specs at: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Lot of people love the Revelation lineup in which case I’d go with the REVC72M - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2019 10:49AM

This is something that anglers debate about as much as to spine or not. There are anglers that prefer the softer tip flex of a mod-fast to moderate rod blank and many anglers prefer a fast action tip flex. Per the weight of the lure, here are a couple of softer tip flex rod blank suggestions - [www.mudhole.com] & [www.mudhole.com] - Then for fast tip type rod blanks - [www.mudhole.com] & [www.mudhole.com] - Personally I really like the MB843-MHX, as it is also so versatile to use for so many various applications. Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2019 10:51AM by Bob McKamey.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 05, 2019 11:58AM

My favorite rod for this was built on a Loomis SB812 blank. 10-17 line test, 3/8-1/2 lure weight, 77 degrees action angle, which is IMO to the low end of Xfast action. Other Xfast blanks I've checked are more like 82 degrees. ERN = 23.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 05, 2019 12:55PM

The Loomis SB812 that Micheal suggested is very similar in specs to the Point Blank PB841MF which has an ERN = 23.1 and an AA =78. So I suspect it would perform similarly. The MB843-MHX has an IP of 709 gm, making the ERN =23.5. The IMMC72M has an IP of 847 gm which would make the ERN about 26, so more powerful than the other 3 blanks.
Hope this helps
Norm

Posted by: chris adams (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2019 03:00PM

Lots of info there but for me neither one of those baits are what I would consider a technical bait. You can pretty much pull any rod from the rod box that can handle those lure weights and be successful with either. A few things, I do not throw a spinner bait and chatterbait on the same blank in most conditions. Also, I never understood the reasoning behind throwing a spinnerbait on an XF blank, but again, just my opinion.

Dan, if you are throwing chatterbaits around grass, then yes the Medium Heavy - Fast blank would be good as you would wear yourself out ripping the chatterbait out of the grass with a MOD-FAST blank. If you are not ripping the bait from grass I would consider a MOD-FAST as it is very easy to pull a chatterabit away from fish, it is a lure that had a single hook but you need to treat it like it has a treble. Something like a CB847 fits the bill.

As for a spinnerbait, match the lure weight to a rod with a Fast action, tie one on and go fish. The MB843 is the one for spinnerbaits, yes it is about as close to a do all as you can get but it fits the bill for a spinnerbait. It is great for a multitude of lures around cover, docks, open water, etc. Sometimes it takes a very technical approach to match a lure and a rod but in my opinion, this instance is not one of them.

Posted by: Brian Gross (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: June 05, 2019 03:09PM

So Dan sounds like you need to build 4 or 5 rods LOL

Posted by: lewis morgan (---.dhcp.chtrptr.net)
Date: June 05, 2019 03:34PM

Bob,
I agree with you on the MB843 being so great for different baits. A great blank to fish with due to the action.as well as all my MHX'S. Have been a true user of MHX'S since 2008. The new PRO Elites and the X-Elites are the best I have ever put in my hands, especially the new NMB873.5 MHX.

Fuzz Morgan

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2019 05:24PM

IMO Chris hit it out of the ball park with his post. Really no need to add anything further on my part.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 05, 2019 05:59PM

Yes, you can fish with anything and catch fish. The OP asked for our opinions on a specific blank for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits , and that's what most of us gave him. Norman Miller's post is especially valuable since it links the objective measurements of a blank you can no longer get with a currently available blank. That's the power of CCS. One may conclude they want different blank characteristics than the SB812, but if one wants to match the 812, Norman shows the way. I'm sure the Point Blank will perform much like the Loomis.

I have built a number of Point Blanks and they are very fine blanks. And thanks to Anglers Resource for providing CCS data.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2019 08:14PM

Michael, my post wasn't to say I totally agree with everything in Chris' post, but I agree with the majority of it. For instance, Chris stated you can pull pretty much any rod out of the box that will handle the kind of weights mentioned, and be successful with it I don't agree with that, but if you read Chris's second paragraph, it doesn't seem like he does either.

Like him I don't throw those two baits on the same rod, unless I am ripping chatterbaits through weeds. Then I'll throw a chatterbait on the same rod I'd throw a spinnerbait. Otherwise, I am going to throw a chatterbait on a slower action blank. I don't know what it is about chatterbaits, but I lost more fish than I landed, when throwing them with the same rod I'd throw a swim jig on, or a spinnerbait with. I thought Chris' comparison of a chatterbait acting like a treble hooked bait was excellent, because it matched my experience with losing fish on crankbaits when using a fast action blank compared to a slower action blank. I now throw chatterbaits on on a couple of mod fast action rods I built. And I don't lose near as many fish.

And I like a fast action blank for spinnerbaits. I can only guess as to why I don't lose many fish on a spinnerbait and a fast action rod, but do on a chatterbait on the same rod. I think the wire frame of the spinnerbait has something to do with it. It keeps a fish from engulfing the entire bait and even though there is a wire in front of it, I think the hook is more wide open. Seems like the blade on a chatterbait kind of makes the hook of the bait less accessible. I don't know ......... there is something about them though. For me they just don't hook as well as spinnerbaits.

As for blank recommendations, I throw chatterbaits on two different rods. One I built on a Rainshadow RX7 CB66MH blank, (trimmed to 6') I built it for throwing squarebills in and around wood cover, the other I built on an NFC MB709 IM. It's one of my pitching and flipping rods. Can cast the size chatterbaits mentioned here a fer piece, and has plenty of power to set the hook and the blank loads nicely to keep fish buttoned up pretty well.

For spinnerbaits, for me anyhow, pretty much any rod I have, as long as it's fast action. For short casts I use an old 1554 Shimano Speedmaster Fightin Rod. It's a pistol grip rod. For long casts I use yet another old Shimano Speedmaster Fightin Rod. It's a 1654. Both are heavy power, with a fast action.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2019 02:03PM

I'll add my two cents. I think Bob McKamey got it right on, with the CB 845. One of my clients is a semi pro and told me he was losing way too many fish with his chatterbait. Upon his request I built him a "chatterbait" rod on the CB845. This guy never gives out any compliments but he did in fact call me to tell me that that rod blank was perfect and he no longer is losing fish once hooked. I am not a chatterbait fisherman and to me hearing that testimony from someone making $$$$$ on his choice of equipment says volumes.

Also it is my opinion that Batson really screwed up not keeping a seven foot rod in their lineup. I don't want to cut a blank down when it should have been built as a seven foot rod In the beginning.

Tom'

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 06, 2019 02:11PM

Mr. Wewerka,
Which series is missing a 7' model? Perhaps I can assist.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: benjie bates (12.97.95.---)
Date: June 06, 2019 04:27PM

I started fishing chatterbaits on my mhx cb845, it worked just fine.

then decided to build a more dedicated chatterbait set up. i did reference the info Brett Hite has shared on chatterbait fishing so that lead me in the direction of a more moderate to mod fast blank

so i started messing around with the cb906 blank i have built 2 so far. one is 7'3" the other around 7'4" i cut some off the tip of the shorter one. Made the rod stiffer but its still a good rod, probably better for 1/2 oz or chatterbaits around grass. these also make dandy rods for throwing spoons in the flats and creeks.

Overall i prefer the longer 7'3" ish rods to a 7ft for my uses. and don't know if it really matters that much but i have had fun making different rods.

I will probably finish up a rainshadow judge this weekend. i bought the 7'10" MH and cut it down. Its a heavier blank weight wise, but has lots of backbone with a super soft tip. Need to fish it, but the judges might also be a good option if you want the slower action blank or something closer to a glass rod.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2019 04:50PM

Geoff Staples Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mr. Wewerka,
> Which series is missing a 7' model? Perhaps I can
> assist.

The most popular rods I build are in your IMMORTAL AND ETERNITY BASS spinning and casting series type of rods. None of which come in a 7 ft length. They go from 6' 8" right up to 7'2" and longer. That is at least according to the Git Bit and Utmost websites.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster