I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank failure
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 02, 2019 05:57PM

4/26/17 Rick Elrod made a post regarding Blanks breaking, one of which broke in the split grip 5" up from the butt. Some of us remarked that this was an unusual place for a failure. Well it has happened to one of my builds 7ft spinning rod rated 3/16- 3/8 6-10 lb. line. My son made a 2 hand cast with an unweighted fluke (actual weight with hook 13 gm.) The blank snapped off 4.5" from the butt. This is a very nearly new build fished 3 or 4 times. No damage otherwise. Simply snapped off. So it can and does happen! Still seems to be a strange place to break!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank failure
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 02, 2019 06:36PM

Lynn,
One of the biggest reasons for unusual blank failures is because of hidden damage in the blank.

Sometimes a blank can get bent, crushed, sat on, and still have the blank look perfect. Then, at the least inopportune time, it simply snaps.

The key is to look very carefully at the break.

Mr. Kirkman did an excellent article a few years ago on blank failures and pictures and diagnosis of the issue.

One key thing to look at is, the break itself and how did it break.

If you have a virtual 90 degree square break, there is a reasonably good chance that it was a blank defect.

But, if you have long shards of blank going in both directions, then one is more likely to have a blank with a crushing failure.

But, there are many many variations on this simplistic approach.

On a new build like this you can normally call the manufacturer for a possible blank replacement.

Normally, the only thing that the manufacturer needs to warranty the blank is to have pieces of blank on each side of the break. i.e. ask the manufacturer what they require for warranty replacement. Many of the manufacturers ask that they have each side of the broken blank plus 6 inches on each side.

That way, the manufacturer can examine the break under a microscope and determine with a high degree of certainty - the cause of the break failure.

-----------------
In your case, you can typically save the blank section with the grips and reel seat and all of the guides and tip top off of the rods.
Then, you can either build a new full length rod using the replacement, or trim the new blank to match the former blank and then use an internal spigot to repair the rod and rewrap the guides on the new blank.

Good luck

Date: June 02, 2019 07:00PM

It's pretty close to a dead square break. I took pics and sent them to the manufacturer. If he wants to send me another blank, great! I wouldn't even consider doing anything other than repairing it. Post was sort of an F.Y.I. thing.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2019 08:07PM

Hello Lynn & Roger.

I checked my index and there are 2 that could be the article Roger is talking about and they are: volume-3 / Issue-1 Page-22 : "Defect or Abuse?" or maybe volume-7 / Issue-5 Page-24 "Breakage Reducing".

Hope I got it right & that it helps you out some.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: June 03, 2019 02:32PM

Thanks you guys.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2019 06:30PM

Remember that it is possible for a blank to be damaged in shipping. Blanks get shipped sometimes twice or more before arriving to the eventual customer. The package you received may look fine, but the one your supplier received from the manufacturer may not have. Always give each new blank a critical eye and proper flex test prior to building on it.

Date: June 03, 2019 07:55PM

I bent the crap out of it, gave it the hairy eyeball, I even spined it, but built on the straightest axis. Broke straight across the inscription and decal (my 2 favorite things). It will live again.

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 07, 2019 08:57PM

Hairy eyeball, don't hear that often.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster