I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank for tightline nymphing rod
Posted by: Brad Potter (---.fws.gov)
Date: May 29, 2019 01:56PM

I'll be headed to Reno, NV for an 8 week assignment and while there I want to take advantage of the local fishing. Based on my research it appears fishing the Truckee River is mostly tightline nymphing. Anyone have good suggestions for a 9-10' 4wt blank? I'm looking for a 4 piece blank to make travel easier. Probably mod-fast action. Also, I'm seeking more affordable options (without giving up too much performance) as I'm not sure how much use this rod will get outside of this trip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank for tightline nymphing rod
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2019 02:03PM

The MHX 10" 4wt 4pc is a very good option.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 29, 2019 02:51PM

CTS Affinity X, I have also built out a couple of MHX 4wts for customers, good blank, but the CTS Affinity X is better in my opinion.

Rod Geeks also has a decent 904-4, kinda stiff for my taste, but it will work and is affordable.

Don't rule out fishing with an Indicator or dry/dropper rigs depending on what time of year you are going to be out there.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 29, 2019 03:50PM

The RainShadow Eternity ETEF10644 is our 4wt nymphing rod, check out the specs at: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: May 29, 2019 06:14PM

The PacBay Arctos in the 10'3" 4wt is also a very good candidate for that . A little towards the faster side but that is my preferece

Ron Weber

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: May 29, 2019 07:37PM

The MHX 10" 4wt 4pc is still waiting for me to finish the build, but the blank itself is sweet!

Posted by: Brad Potter (---.fws.gov)
Date: May 30, 2019 07:56AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll take a look at these options.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 30, 2019 08:34AM

Hello Brad -- Here is a link to the MHX 10' - 4 wt - [www.mudhole.com] - Thank You!

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: John Van Emmerik (---.static.reno.nv.highlandswireless.com)
Date: May 31, 2019 12:07PM

I built an Arctos 10'3" 4 wt. and like it a lot. It's not a Euro specific soft tip stiff mid/butt action but is a faster more uniform flex that is great for dries & indicator or naked high sticking and even single hand spey. I usually use a 10' 5 wt. (Pac Bay Quickline) or a switch rod on the Truckee since if you encounter a big brown they can bury a 4 wt. I live in the Reno area and have fished the Truckee for 4 decades. Euro nymphing can be very effective but be flexible. Be prepared for tough wading and you will earn every fish. Bring your A+ game.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2019 02:27PM by John Van Emmerik.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 31, 2019 02:39PM

The finest in the industry>>The RainShadow Eternity ETEF10644 is our 4wt nymphing rod, check out the specs at: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster