I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GT Popping Rod Help
Posted by: Denham Bruce (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2019 07:14PM

Alright I'm stepping a bit out of my realm here having only ever built freshwater rods as I want to build a GT rod for popping. I'm new to GT fishing in general and the first rod I had was the Black Hole 7'6" Nano Popping rod. Now while I liked everything about that rod I felt it was a bit too short to be chucking poppers from the rocks. So rather than spending half a grand I figured I'd save some money and build my own rod on the 8'6" Nano blank. But aside from the blank narrowed down I really have no clue what components I need for the rest of the rod. I really liked how the factory rod was built and figured I'd try and emulate it.

Here is what I have so far:
Size 22 Reel Seat
Fuji K Guides - CC Silver Alconite: Sizes 40-25-20-16-12-12-12-12tip
7" EVA Jigging Foregrip
2" tapered bulb butt cap
No rear grip

Does all of that check out okay so far? From anyone who has experience building these rods, please let me know how the build looks and if there are any suggestions you might make to change it. I was also considering the 10'6" blank to aid in casting distance but thought that might make it harder to work big poppers. Anyways I would love to hear some input. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GT Popping Rod Help
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2019 09:25PM

Denham,
May I ask you as to what line you plan to use on the rod. Also, whether the line is mono or a braid?

The reason that I ask the question is that the guides that you have specified are a bit on the large size for many type of fishing.

Also, what size fish are you targeting?

If you are using very heavy mono line, I think you have a very nice setup. But, if lighter line, then perhaps a guide train that is a bit smaller.

Take care

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 26, 2019 10:10PM

Denham you absolutely sure you want to tangle with GT's from the shoreline lol, man you like to be abused i see. Heavy braid with heavy leaders will be necessary and Roger is right a 40 stripper is overly large even with heavy braid. Hope your reel of choice has the line capacity and drag range necessary to endure what you're planning to do.

Posted by: Denham Bruce (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2019 12:52AM

See this is glad I asked! I've haven't build many spinning rods so guide sizes past 12 seem foreign to me.

I plan on using 80lb braid joined with 150lb leader via the FG knot. The size of fish will depend on whatever I'm fortunate enough to hook! I'll be using this rod to stay busy when going on trips to Hawaii and such. The reel will be either a 6500 or 8000 size Daiwa Spinning reel.

As for the guides train that I have now, it was one that someone mentioned on another forum that I just took as a template, but seeing as thats apparently much to large I'm definitely going to downsize. Is there a guide train one might recommend for the setup I'll be using??

And Herb, I am ABSOLUTELY sure that I would be more than happy to tangle with a GT off the rocks! Might as well try it while my body is still young and can take the punishment!

Posted by: Adam S McClain (---.bla2.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: May 27, 2019 01:07AM

Hi Denham, Good to see another GT enthusiast!

Im building a medium top water rod very soon. CTS Seamaster PE4-6. Just setting up my new workshop. I have a topwater trip in Fiji booked for March 2020

I have a Pe 8 factory built rod which uses the same guide train minus a 12 in the stainless SIC KW. Great action on the blank but those guides are heavy! Add a Saltiga Dogfight 8000H with 400m of PE10 braid and you have a heavy outfit! Works those arms!

The casting distance isn't that great because of the guide set up. Im considering re-doing the guide train with titanium SIC and dropping to 30 20 16 10's in the KW. But my reel spool diameter is huge so a 40, 25, 16, 10's. might be better.. Who knows. I like to tape on my guides and go cast some lures.

I find have found size 20 real seat fits the biggest saltiga. Just need to use an extension tube of about 15mm. Better to have the reel during the build.

I buy my grips in 14" and ply around with what fells best . You might want 8 or 9" fore grip. When your hooked up to a big fish being able to grab further up the rod for that extra leverage makes a difference.
I would highly recommend installing rear grips. Your under arm and side can get bruised and sore from popping and sweeping stickbaits all day.

What rating is the rod?

Cheers

Adam

Date: May 27, 2019 02:26AM

The Saltiga Dogfight is exactly the type of reel that will be up to the task of dealing with large GT's , it's very appropriately named because a dogfight is exactly what you will be in for . Both you guys have more guts than me , i'm past my prime so no messing with those beasts for me . Adam you mention a 30,20,16,10 guide train and imo thats a great choice even when spooling up with heavy braid , a KW 30 NOT the KW 30 L but the regular has great height and the ring size is plenty large enough to control coils off the Dogfight spool . The KW 40 comes in an (L) frame and high frame just like the KW 30 but the high frame is really high , ( height is over 80 mm) but go with whatever you think is best , thats what we all do in the end anyway.

Denham , i can tell you're well schooled in what you need and what line and type of knots to use and i can see Adam also knows exactly what he's talking about so i'm just going to request a few things for both of you to do before embarking on your mission , make sure your life insurance policies are in good standing and let the children know how much you love them . Last but not least tell the children to remember you by how you look at that moment not by any future photographs.

Farewell my fellow rod building friends.

Date: May 27, 2019 11:26PM

Hahahaha! Herb your not wrong. Lower back, forearms and pretty much all over body disfigurement is guaranteed :)

Thanks for the tip on the guides! Yes that 40 is very high and heavy. You can really feel the weight of it when playing around with the top section. Hopefully I can remove the guides with little damage to the clear coat.

Date: May 28, 2019 12:51AM

Denham , don't want you to think we forgot about you , i would take advantage of Adam's knowledge because very few have experience fishing for GT's from shore. He wanted to know what rod you have and it's rating , take what he says about the rear grip seriously because it's critical for the application you're building this rod for . It's not just about comfort , the length you choose will have an impact on fish fighting leverage along with having an impact on how far you will be able to cast those giant poppers from the rocks , these are all important decisions .

Best to ask all these questions and get the answers first , you would be surprised how many ask questions about whether they made a good choice AFTER they have already completed the job . Like those folks who engage their turn signal well after they have already completed the turn.

Posted by: Nicholas Riccardi (97.96.45.---)
Date: May 28, 2019 09:37AM

Hi Herb, what is a GT?? Nick

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 28, 2019 10:47AM

Giant Trevally. Member of the jack family.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jonathan Hotham (199.247.43.---)
Date: May 28, 2019 12:47PM

Adam,

I would love to have a conversation regarding GT fishing with a fellow rod builder. If its not to much trouble. My Email is in my profile.

Posted by: Denham Bruce (---.nat.uw.edu)
Date: May 28, 2019 04:39PM

Adam, the rating of the rod is 100-200g with PE5-10 and its more of a moderate action.

I like the idea of dropping down my first guide from the 40 to a 30. I don't have a reel yet and doubt it will be the Dogfight due to the cost so my reel will likely have a bit smaller spool diameter. But since Herb thinks the 30 would work fine with the Dogfight, it should work just as well for whatever reel I end up getting. At this point I'm leaning towards a Penn Slammer 3.

As for a rear grip, the only thing that kept me away from that idea was trying to ream a 14" grip, but now I've realized I could just cut the grip in the mid section and ream both pieces individually. Then I'd just put a trim ring between them once I glue the handle, which might even add a little bit to the rod in the looks department!

I toyed with the idea of going with their 10'6" model to aid in casting distance however I'm not sure that blank would allow me to put the breaks to a big fish should I ever need to.

So for what I have now:
Size 22 Reel Seat
Fuji K Guides - CC Silver Alconite: Sizes 30-20-16-12-12-12-12-12tip
7" EVA Jigging fore grip or 10" tapered fore grip
14" EVA Jigging fear grip
2" tapered bulb butt cap

Anyhow, does this build check out as a good sounding rod? I'm open to hear any suggestions as I know I lack the experience in a build such as this.

Date: May 28, 2019 06:19PM

I have an 8 foot inshore rod that has a butt to bottom of reel seat measurement of 17" and i set it at that point for two reasons , the first reason is because it gives me the ability to cast long distances with my right hand just in front of the reel seat pushing while my left arm is pulling from the bottom of the butt , this allows me to cast even a relatively short rod substantial distances but it also gives me great leverage for battling fish once hooked up BUT this doesn't apply with my 11 foot surf rods , leverage is never good with rods 10 feet or longer. Remember the application you're facing , you will be required to not only cast far but also have great leverage and comfort to battle these brutes .

A short rear handle won't accomplish either , doesn't have to be 17 inches but don't make it overly short . Having the handle long enough for the butt cap to brace at your waist area while your other hand is slightly above the reel ( Never above foregrip) while you pull dip and reel repeatedly makes things so much easier .

Date: May 30, 2019 10:04PM

Jonathan Hotham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Adam,
>
> I would love to have a conversation regarding GT
> fishing with a fellow rod builder. If its not to
> much trouble. My Email is in my profile.

No probs Jonathan. I have two toddler fishos to contend with so my response will most probably be delayed haha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster