I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DC Motor - for Roger...
Posted by: Martyn Wilding (---.skybroadband.com)
Date: May 26, 2019 02:45AM

Hi Roger

In respect of your advice in this thread:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I followed the links in the above thread to the DC motor & controller, not sure if it's because I'm in the uk but I couldn't find the exact ones that you linked to. I ended up with the following:

Motor

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Controller

[www.amazon.co.uk]

I used a 24v laptop adaptor to power it all up, but all I get I see the motor "inching" round about 5degrees at a time, evry couple of seconds.. doesn't make any difference if the switch is forward, reverse or off, it just does the same thing in the same direction. The speed controller makes no difference as well. The power indicator on the PCB, one of the direction lamps on the PCB and the lamp on the power supply all blink in time with the inching...

I guess I got something wrong with the components that I bought, I'm thinking maybe the controller, but thought I'd ask if you can diagnose the issue before I reorder... the motor works ok directly off the power supply, by the way...

Many thanks

Martyn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DC Motor - for Roger...
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2019 07:36AM

Martyn,
I believe that the motor is the correct motor.

According to the specifications, you have the correct controller that should work in this application.

However, I wonder about the 24v Laptop adapter.

If you don't have another source of 24v, you could connect the controller to a 12 volt source of DC power. The controller and motor should work on 12 volts, but just be half the speed.

Here is a possibility for a 24v power supply for your area that should work with no issue.
[www.amazon.co.uk]

----------------------------------------
The symptoms that you report would indicate that you are getting power pulsations from the power source.

To verify that the power supply is the problem, you could hook the motor directly to the laptop power supply that you have and when you do this and turn on the supply, the motor should run a constant 500 rpm in one direction. Then, if you reverse the power supply connections to the motor, the motor should turn at 500 rpm in the opposite direction. If you do find that the motor actually runs correctly in each direction with the power supply then I agree that the problem is the controller at fault.

If you do find that the controller is the problem, rather than the power supply you might want to try this one:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

I have used a lot of this particular controller in the past with no reported failures.

Best wishes to your great success.

Date: May 26, 2019 07:56AM

Marytyn

p.s.
There is one other possibility with respect to the controller. Verify that the connector for the potentiometer and the connector for the reversing switch plugged into the correct connector.

You also have the power connected to the correct terminals and the motor connected to the correct terminals don't you.

It appears that the connectors and the terminals are identical, so it is easy to mix them up if not very careful. You also have the DC voltage from your power supply going to the correct + and - terminals on the controller board. Do you have a meter to verify the polarity of the supply voltage from the power supply to the speed controller? The controller must have the voltage polarity correct, or it will not function. If the controller is working; the output going to the motor can be either direction, since the motor will just rotate in the opposite direction if the voltage going to the motor is in the opposite polarity.

By the way, if you do find out that you put something together incorrectly and correct the mistake and find that you still have an issue you may have blown the controller. Of course a blown controller will require a new replacement.

Be safe.

Date: May 26, 2019 08:43AM

Roger

Thanks for your quick response, I think I've checked all the connections & polarities, & they all seemed ok. I also found a wall socket 24v adaptor, only 100mA, but it did the same pulsing inching thing... I reckon maybe when I connected the PCB originally I had something wrong & "fried" something...

The controller that you linked is the one I was going to try next, So will give it a try, & see how it goes... will let you know..

Once again, many thanks for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated...

Martyn

Date: May 26, 2019 11:22AM

Martyn,
As long as you have another adapter, try connecting that power supply directly to the motor to verify that the motor is all right.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 26, 2019 02:15PM

Martyn

Make sure the power supply you are useing has the current capacity to power the motor from initial surge to steady sate operation.

Good Luck

John.

Date: May 26, 2019 02:39PM

I just tried the motor off the 100mA supply & it wouldn't start either polarity, sort of sounded like it was trying but didn't get turning... but it ran both directions off the 3A supply. Assume that the 100mA supply isn't up to starting it... does that sound right?

Many Thanks

Martyn

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 26, 2019 02:56PM

You are on the right track. It looks like your motor draws more current than the 100 ma supply can give.

Have fun

John

Date: May 26, 2019 05:30PM

Martyn,
You are correct.

That motor draws between 250 and 1,000 ma - depending on the load. So, it looks like the power supply is all right. It looks like the motor is all right. So, it looks like you have a problem with the speed controller.

By the way, on my last few builds I have been using the CCM6N controller with excellent results:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Note the caution in the listing for this controller, that is also true for the other controllers.
DO NOT reverse the input DC power polarity to the DC controller. Be sure to put the + 24 volts in the + power connector and the -24volts in the - power connector.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: May 26, 2019 06:37PM

Martyn
A 100ma power supply will not power a 250-1000ma motor period! You will burn up stuff. You need a power supply with at very least a 1a (not ma) current supply rating.
Rog

Date: May 27, 2019 08:47AM

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm expecting the new controller in a couple of days, so will let you know how I get on, hopefully successful...

Many Thanks

Martyn

Date: May 29, 2019 04:00PM

Well the new controller turned up today, I checked & rechecked the supply polarity & connected her up... works perfectly!!

Many thanks for all the advice

...now onto the mounting, chuck etc...

Cheers

Martyn

Date: May 29, 2019 05:31PM

Martyn,
Glad that you have been successful in the first part of your build.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster