I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Rod Build RS ETEC72M-SS
Posted by: Jason Yu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2019 01:45AM

I'm building a new rod for my Daiwa Steez A TW. The Application will be for light to medium power jig/worm/pitching for Largemouth Bass. I keep my builds light and simple.

The blank is a Rainshadow Eternity ETEC72M-SS.
Components;
AA 9.5" Cork handle
Fuji 11+Tiptop Torzite guides 7 Stripper>6 Belly>5 Runners>5.5 Fuji Arowana Tiptop
Fuji ECSM 16-13mm
Matagi EVA KDPS-16 reel seat hood
Matagi Buttcap and aluminum trims all around (Color:Smoke)
Fuji Metallic black thread

I bought the blank in a hurry not knowing anything about it because it was on sale. All I knew it was the latest and the greatest from Batson, plus MADE IN THE USA! SOLD!
But after digging around, I saw some comments saying the Eternity blanks are from NFC? This got me thinking. Is the Enternity line pretty much just an NFC HMX? I have an NFC HMX MB705-1MHF Casting built, It's a fantastic blank (super sensitive and light 1.9oz weighed)! Just wish it didn't feel like a 4 power when NFC claims its a 5 or 6 power. It's an easy caster, just a flick of the wrist and my bait goes flying. Both blanks have a 4.5 tip, and uses a 13mm reel seat. Can anyone give me some feedback on the Eternity blanks?

Thanks!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 01:48AM by Jason Yu.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Rod Build RS ETEC72M-SS
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2019 08:12AM

I cannot confirm or deny who builds Batson's blanks Whether it's NFC, or St Croix, or Lamaglass or another US company for its domestic blanks' or what ever company builds their offshore blanks.

What I can confirm, especially with their Eternity and Immortal lines, is that: Batson's design team chooses the materials, develops the actions, lay up patterns, and power of each blank to meet their proprietary designs .
Designing and redesigning making adjustments in materials and lay out design concepts for each blank till it meets both their standards and application's for it's intended use.
(regardless of which manufacturer actually builds the blank)
Some times taking 2 or 3 years in testing and development before a blank's right and goes to market.

Having been part of this process in the past, i can tell you its quite extensive.
They just don't walk into a manufactures show room and say: "we'll take 4 of those and 5 of them and 100,000 of the other"

I've also known them to trash an entire line because it would not meet their standards, a lot of lost expense when you consider the time, material, and the labor it took to develop it.

So if you get a blank that's the same length, or tip and but size or is close to the action of another's brand of blank, it just worked out different companies came to similar conclusions in design.

FROM BATSON'S WEB SITE:
INNOVATION with quality craftsmanship and durability are the building blocks of every RainShadow rod blank. As a premier visionary of rod blanks for all applications, we use the most refined processes and hand-picked materials available today. Any brand is only as good as its team members, and our Jaguar Design team is comprised of some of the finest designers and engineers in the rod building world. Every one of our blanks is meticulously engineered, crafted, and tested to ensure top quality in performance and reliability.

[batsonenterprises.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 08:31AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2019 09:19AM

I would take an Eternity over a NFC HM any day just for Batson’s quality control, warranty and customer service.

Posted by: Brian Jackson (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: May 25, 2019 09:30AM

I have built 4 spinning rods on eternity blanks. All Have been exceptionally lightweight and sensitive. Also the straightest blanks that I have seen. Their ML does seem more like L to me when compared to a St Croix ML but still enough backbone to do the job. The Eternity M seems to be right on in their rating of 1/4-5/8oz. Hope this helps

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 25, 2019 12:53PM

NFC is indeed the manufacturer of the Eternity by Batson .

Date: May 25, 2019 01:04PM

On another note the best rod blank manufacturers go through the same extensive design testing and retesting as Batson does , they have their own proprietary machinery and blank testing equipment . Batsons head rod blank designer used to be St. Croix's rod blank designer , i may be one of the very few that prefer other blanks to Batsons offerings with the latest i have tried being the 7'6 Immortal in medium heavy power .

For the price paid i do believe Batson is a manufacturer where you get the most rod for the money spent , superb quality and outstanding customer service.

Posted by: Jason Yu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2019 02:47PM

Brian, the Eternity 7’2 Medium Fast Blank has a lure rating of 1/4-3/4. I hope it has enough backbone.

I don’t see NFC manufacturing the Eternity blanks as a bad thing.

Having already built a NFC HMX rod, I would be more than thrilled if the Eternity blank is anything close to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 02:49PM by Jason Yu.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2019 03:01PM

David Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would take an Eternity over a NFC HM any day
> just for Batson’s quality control, warranty and
> customer service.

I agree with David's assessment. Not that NFC Blank are not good, they are just too light for the majority of bass rods I build. I love the Eternity 2 Blanks. The Anglers Resources' "Point Blanks" are, IMHO, Outstanding. They have a great Tip and a backbone that will haul the "biggies" out of the trash!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 03:07PM by Donald R Campbell.

Date: May 25, 2019 03:19PM

Jason Yu Wrote:
> Brian, the Eternity 7’2 Medium Fast Blank has a
> lure rating of 1/4-3/4. I hope it has enough
> backbone.
>
> I don’t see NFC manufacturing the Eternity
> blanks as a bad thing.
>
> Having already built a NFC HMX rod, I would be
> more than thrilled if the Eternity blank is
> anything close to it.

"I don’t see NFC manufacturing the Eternity blanks as a bad thing"

I agree 100% , amazing blanks but it is true that the overwhelming majority of comments from people who have ordered and received them are concerns questioning their backbone and seeming to be too light for what their rating states . I should say that many of the concerns are unfounded once putting the blanks to the test however .

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 25, 2019 07:52PM

I know that at some point I've seen NFC listed as a Batson partner.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 25, 2019 07:58PM

Before NFC went to their factory direct marketing strategy, Batson was the exclusive distributor of NFC blanks. However that has changed.
Norm

Date: May 25, 2019 08:15PM

Lots of NFC blanks are still available from the likes of Anglers resource and others but most are listed as closeout.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2019 10:36PM

That changed when Gary sold the business

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: May 26, 2019 05:18PM

Jason I have heard claims of the E2 series being built by both St. Croix as well as NFC. Honestly to me it doesn’t matter who makes it. I will tell you that its certainly one of my most favorite blanks of all time.

I too have the NFC HMMB705. The HM and E2 certainly don’t fish the exact same. Close yes, but I’m my hands I prefer the E2 all day long. I have both blanks built the same regarding guides, grips and seat, same finish, only differences are thread colors. I utilize the same reel model and the same 12lb tatsu line off the same bulk spool. In my hands I have better feel( subjective I know) with the E2. Prior to the E2 I fished the HM MB705 as my Holy Grail for a baitcasting shakey head rod. My head and worm weigh 5/8 oz henceforth the heavier rod. I now rarely use the HM for shakey head fishing . I think you will be pleased with your choice.

Tom

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 28, 2019 09:49AM

I suspect many rod blank manufacturers buy their prepreg from the same source. There aren't very many sources of prepreg, as far as I can tell. That leaves mandrels and what else as unique to a particular blank?

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 28, 2019 11:34AM

All RainShadowblanks are designed by our in-house engineers, materials, pattern layout, glues… basically the recipe on how they are to made is by our team, headed up by Mike Thorson. Very few in this industry have Mike’s combined knowledge of materials and design, along with a passion for fishing (he would rather be on the water than in the office). By following our blueprints, the action of the blanks shut down where we design them to shut down and the power fits what we designed them to be.

A manufacturer, which we use multiple all over the world, has no control other than rolling the blank to our specifications. Every factory is visited by our design team and tested before using. If it does not meet our specs and the blueprint that is sent to a manufacturer, then we reject it when it arrives (and it will not be distributed as a Rainshadow blank). We have a quality control team, which includes the engineers, that checks the blank orders as come in through the door.

Basically said, there is never a RainShadow rod blank that is “off-the-shelf” from a manufacturer. They are designed from the ground up by our team. We find a need for a new blank model, research that need, decide the best materials (often times it’s a cocktail mix of materials blended together), design the pattern and details notes on how to roll the blanks. Then test the blanks, make sure the action and power meets what we expect, make tweaks to those designs if needed and test again, before going into full production.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Jason Yu (12.250.65.---)
Date: May 28, 2019 04:33PM

James Taylor Wrote:
> All RainShadowblanks are designed by our in-house
> engineers, materials, pattern layout, glues…
> basically the recipe on how they are to made is by
> our team, headed up by Mike Thorson. Very few in
> this industry have Mike’s combined knowledge of
> materials and design, along with a passion for
> fishing (he would rather be on the water than in
> the office). By following our blueprints, the
> action of the blanks shut down where we design
> them to shut down and the power fits what we
> designed them to be.
>
> A manufacturer, which we use multiple all over the
> world, has no control other than rolling the blank
> to our specifications. Every factory is visited by
> our design team and tested before using. If it
> does not meet our specs and the blueprint that is
> sent to a manufacturer, then we reject it when it
> arrives (and it will not be distributed as a
> Rainshadow blank). We have a quality control team,
> which includes the engineers, that checks the
> blank orders as come in through the door.
>
> Basically said, there is never a RainShadow rod
> blank that is “off-the-shelf” from a
> manufacturer. They are designed from the ground up
> by our team. We find a need for a new blank model,
> research that need, decide the best materials
> (often times it’s a cocktail mix of materials
> blended together), design the pattern and details
> notes on how to roll the blanks. Then test the
> blanks, make sure the action and power meets what
> we expect, make tweaks to those designs if needed
> and test again, before going into full production.

James, thank you so much for the response. Can't wait to put my Eternity blank to use.

I'm sure there will be others in the future who will find this thread that can appreciate the info.

I'm also very glad that there are still companies like Batson that puts so much time, energy, and effort into creating these awesome American made products.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 28, 2019 07:59PM

Your'e right Jason, I bookmarked this thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster