I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Help
Posted by: Brett Mahoney (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2019 06:23PM

I want to build a lite spinning rod that is easy to travel with (will be walleye fishing in northern Canada and can't bring 1 piece rod)and want some help/suggestions before I buy a blank. I am not near anywhere to pull any blanks my self so I am at a bit of a disadvantage but thats why I am asking here.

What I want
7'
2pc
6-12lb
fast/ extra-fast

I plan on having the overall build be fairly light with nicer components, I would like to spend under $125 on the blank.

Another question I have is I was first tempted to use the recoil guides as they are durable and if I was going to be traveling with the rod durability would be a big upside. however I have heard that they are loud with braid and concerned how they would preform compared to a Fuji KL SiC guide. What are your thoughts on this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 06:34PM by Brett Mahoney.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Help
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 24, 2019 06:36PM

Look at the SB series of Rainshadow blanks. Great blanks , 781 and 841 are both very fine blanks for what you want. I built the 841 for bonefish , and it built into a great rod. I think it's more xfaxt than fast.

SB720-4 Clear Gloss 6'0" 4 4-8lb. 1/6-5/16oz. 0.435 4.5 F L 1.4oz. Trout/Panfish/Backpack rod
SB781-3 Clear Gloss 6'6" 3 6-12lb. 1/8-3/8oz. 0.500 5.0 F ML 1.8oz. Trout/Panfish light jigs and tubes/Travel rod
SB783-3 Clear Gloss 6'6" 3 10-17lb. 5/16-3/4oz. 0.535 5.5 F MH 2.1oz. Largemouth Bass-4"worms, tubes, jig worms/Walleye jigging in rivers
SB841-3 Clear Gloss 7'0" 3 6-12lb. 1/8-3/8oz. 0.605 6.0 F ML 2.2oz. Trout/Walleye/Smallmouth Bass finnesse presentations travel rod
SB843-3 Clear Gloss 7'0" 3 10-17lb. 5/16-3/4oz. 0.635 6.0 F MH 2.3oz. All purpose Bass spinning travel rod

Posted by: Brett Mahoney (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2019 06:40PM

would you prefer the SB841-3 over the REVS72ML-2SB?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 06:41PM by Brett Mahoney.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2019 06:42PM

The Batson ISP843F is an excellent choice...............made for that species! 7ft 2pc @ $95.00 at Anglers Workshop on the left.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 24, 2019 06:52PM

Can't help with this, but check out your "messed up finish" post from 28 days ago. Lots of people were hoping for a reply from you to see if you had any success with your finish after posting. You had things stirred up a little around here. lol!

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: May 24, 2019 06:52PM

You might also check the price with Utmost...and get the best shipping rate as well.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2019 11:44AM

The perfect walleye vertical jig, pitching, etc. 2 Pc. blank is the St. Croix 4S70MLF2, a bit more than you want, but a great value compared to higher end components on a less impressive blank. Angler's Workshop has one according to their site. Buy a comparable Pac Bay guide set to the Fuji and you'll end up with a better stick. REC guides are loader, but they by no means scream at you, they are the lowest framed spinning guides I'm aware of so your going larger on the guide size to get your correct height, bringing the cost even higher on each build. Guide durability has never been a real concern for me, the amount of broken guides I've had to replace wouldn't fill one hand and I fish the Bush a lot where rod damage can ruin an entire trip.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 28, 2019 08:39AM

Hello Brett - Here is a link to a 7' - 2 pc MHX Spin Jig blank that makes a great Walleye or Smallmouth Rod - [www.mudhole.com] - Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 29, 2019 07:45AM

The SB841-3 is , I believe, the fastest action of the Rainshadows mentioned. I've used the ISP 843-2, and it is a very fine blank, slower action, but very versatile. I'm not familiar with the REV 72 ML, but I have an Immortal Walleye 72ML and I think it's not powerful enough, too soft in the tip.

Either of the first two are a sure thing for what you want.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster