I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

North Fork Blank selection help
Posted by: Brian Gross (50.226.78.---)
Date: May 24, 2019 04:14PM

Hello, Am I the only one that has a hard time looking for specific type of blanks on North Fork web site? Why can they not organize there web site like it Batson or Rod Geeks to make it easy. My questions lay in the lettering of the blanks. I am a walleye guy so I looked under fresh water blanks,figure that is where I would find Walleye style blanks. They have no Med fast 8-14lb 1/4 to 5/8 style in that section. I get the Delta, SM,IM and HM thing. I think I got the 701-1, 702-1 and 704-1 action down but why no 703-1? And where do they explain the difference between the SJ,CB,SW,MB,FW,SB,C and PSI LMX, Lambda LMX ect...So confusing, Any help appreciated from this addicted hobby builder.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: North Fork Blank selection help
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: May 24, 2019 05:05PM

SJ = Spin Jig, the type rod most used. That said St. Croix lives and breathes walleye, I'd look at the Rod Geek blanks.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2019 06:36PM

CB- Crank bait
SW- Salt water (I think)
MB- Mag bass
FW- Fresh water (I think)
SB- Swim bait
C- ?

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 24, 2019 07:40PM

I have been wishing much more detailed info could be found on NFC's site myself but nope , always wondered how all three surf rod blanks they offer are all exactly the same price , the 2-8 oz blank is the exact same price as the 1- 3 oz rated blank both identical lengths, identical listed actions with the exact same material utilized .

Posted by: Jason Yu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2019 01:07AM

In my experience in dealing with them. Don't hold your breath when waiting for your blank, it's going be awhile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 01:49AM by Jason Yu.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2019 09:13AM

Yeah they have more important issues to fix first which I hope they do. Not many USA made rod blanks to choose from anymore.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 25, 2019 01:35PM

Jason Yu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my experience in dealing with them. Don't hold
> your breath when waiting for your blank, it's
> going be awhile.

I think everybody knows by now about the length of time it could take to get your blank after ordering it from NFC , Tom doesn't want anymore postings from people complaining about the wait as the last post about it Tom made it very clear that it's old news & for people to avoid posting just about that topic.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2019 07:43PM

If your in a hurry get some of the blanks the sponsors have, prices look good there also and you don't have a time problem.

Posted by: Brian Gross (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: May 27, 2019 02:32PM

Time is not a problem, Just wanted to take advantage of the 60% sale and try some of there blanks to build on. But no where does it talk about how each style blank handles or any info for that reason.
Has anyone got any real world experience using one of there blanks that might fit the bill I am looking for?

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 27, 2019 11:51PM

Mod fast 8-14 1/4 to 5/8 sounds like what many would call a popping blank which is in there saltwater section. Some of their Mag Bass models say they are fast action but to me are not as fast as a St Croix fast. Rodhouse in France has a good website showing many of the NFC blanks with deflection pictures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2019 12:04AM by David Miller.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: May 28, 2019 11:41AM

Brian,
You can find some info of sorts on the Edge Rods site. G Loomis are the same, most info will be under the finished rod site and you have to do a blank comparasion. Most of the info on species fishing sites will also be for finished factory rods.
You'll see the walleye and inshore rods listed in the same section.

Posted by: carol staiculescu (---.cpe.teksavvy.com)
Date: May 29, 2019 10:20AM

If you want a great walleye rod, rivaled only by the NRX from Loomis , you should take the NFC SJ 732 XRay. It is my Walleye rod , and even if it is rated 1/8-3/8 you can use jigs up 5/8 with it. It is the most sensitive and versatile blank for walleye I ever fished with (exceeds in sensitivity a St. Croix SCV or a Loomis GLX) and for those money it's really worth waiting for. It is well suited for drop shot as well if you can keep your weights under 3/4oz. If you look into my gallery at my "Rusty in action" series of photos ( [www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster