I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Follow up on "Marketing Speak",
Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 23, 2019 11:43PM

As a follow up to Joseph's question on "Walleye" Rods, what is the difference in a MIcro quide verse a Macro guide? I saw this on a bass rod manufacture's site the other day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Follow up on "Marketing Speak",
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2019 12:56AM

They are direct opposites in a way, you see macro used a lot when people are trying to understand something large, or the "big picture" instead of specifics. What that has to do with fishing rods is anyone's guess.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2019 11:24AM

Mark,
Size.

Micro is tiny

Macro is not tiny. Therefore macro guides are larger than micro guides.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 24, 2019 05:06PM

I guess the term " Guides" wasn't descriptive enough , we need to call them Macro instead , since micro guides really are "Micro" in size that term fits pretty well.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 24, 2019 08:23PM

Spencer

Right on!

Mark

I think your question should be directed to the site you visited and ask for a clarification. Better still hope the manufacturer or representative reads this post and answers your question on the forum for all to read.

Any answer not from an authoritative source is pure speculation and opinion. It makes for good reading, exchange of interesting ideas and exceptional commentary but means nothing unless verified by those issuing the statement.

Have fun

John

Date: May 24, 2019 08:51PM

I think the question was already answered correctly by Spencer and Roger , is this really a question that requires an authoritative source to confirm , i wouldn't think so but you never know.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 25, 2019 11:38AM

The term "walleye rod" is a marketing term: a retailing term akin to "new" and "improved". As far as I can tell it does not refer to any unique physical properties of the rod and has no more information than a "medium weight" [freshwater] rod.

Date: May 25, 2019 01:12PM

Very interesting Phil , i don't disagree .

Date: May 25, 2019 03:02PM

Phil, Herb,
I live in the middle of Walleye country here in Minneapolis, MN.

Since Walleye is the state fish, and is pursued by Millions of fisher folks in the state of MN. by using the word Walleye in their marketing campaigns, it helps to gain interest, due to the large numbers of folks in this state that pursue the fish.

But, you are absolutely spot on about the non uniqueness of the rods being sold to satisfy the "Walleye" crowd.

The typical rod used by many many Walleye fisher persons will be a medium light fast to extra fast blank in a 6'3" - 6'10" blank. Often, these rods are sold under the SJ or spin and jig rod that indicates to this crowd of a rod with a stiffer butt and a softer tip to pick up the light bites that often are part of the Walleye fishing mystery.

The other typical blank is a 7'6" blank or there abouts with a more moderate action in a medium to medium light power that is commonly used for live bait fishing and or bobber fishing.

As a matter of fact, I was using identical rods of this description when I was out Walleye fishing yesterday. The walleye action was slow, but other fish were biting well just before dark.

Good luck

Date: May 25, 2019 03:30PM

Seems to me that labeling rods as being "Walleye" rods really helps the " Mr. Weekend warrior" type anglers who really have no clue that a Spin/Jig labeled rod is the type to buy for walleye fishing . There are just countless numbers of people who need all the hand holding as they can get when it comes to fishing equipment and even the dumbest or the dumb could figure out that a rod that refers to "Walleye" probably indicates that it has something to do with walleye fishing.

Date: May 25, 2019 09:26PM

Copy that Herb.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 26, 2019 10:30AM

Thanks for clearing up the Walleye rod labeling and terminology,

In the process there was another label thrown out that I am not familiar with and would like clarification. What or who is a " Mr. Weekend warrior" type angler?

Thanks

John

Date: May 26, 2019 11:24AM

John,
A Mr. Weekend warrior is a person that goes fishing once or twice a year, and often - on those weekends, the rod sits on the side of the boat while mass quantities on unnamed beverages are consumed.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster