I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marketing speak question
Posted by: Joseph Ortiz (---.evrt.wa.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 23, 2019 02:46PM

Could someone please “translate” something for me? Particularly interested in understanding what the term “walleye” signifies in marketing speak, in regards to blanks (or line for that matter). Any other marketing terms worth sharing?

I predominately fish Salmon, Trout, Kokanee, etc. Never fished for Walleye or really been much of a Bass Fisher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2019 02:47PM by Joseph Ortiz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marketing speak question
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2019 03:03PM

Joseph:

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.sos.state.mn.us]

The Walleye is the state fish of MN. It is a wonderful tasting fish, that does not deliver a great deal of fight when being caught. It can be a difficult fish to catch at times, which makes it all the more interesting to hunt.
Often, the bite of a walleye is very soft and it is quick to drop a bait or lure if not interested. Again, another reason, why it is a bit more challenging fish to catch.

But, without a doubt - a really excellent eating fish with a mild flavor and much of the taste is obtained from any coatings or breading's that are used during the cooking preparations.

Many folks, including myself prefer to use a lead head jig with a minnow, crawler, or leech on the line to target these fish.

But, they are also taken by trolling lures was well as vertical flash baits - especially during the winter through the ice.

Often, folks like to use an untra sensivitve rod with m-l power in a fast or extra fast speed to be able to detect the sometimes very very soft bites of the fish.

Another common way to fish for these great fish is through the Use of a Lindy Rig. The Lindy Rig was made popular with the wide spread use of this rig - first publicized widely by Mr Linder and other members of the Linder family. The lindy rig consists of a sliding singer that stops 2-5 feet from the hook that is baited with live bait. Here a longer rod, like 7-8 feet in a medium light, or light power rig with a moderate speed rating. Here, the bite is both a "feel" bite, by feeling the line for a bite, as well as a visual bite by watching the rod tip of the flexible rod to sense the bite of another great walleye.

Best wishes

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 23, 2019 03:46PM

"Particularly interested in understanding what the term “walleye” signifies in regards to blanks"

Usually jigging or trolling specific blanks , typically medium light power with fast or an X fast action tip and the latter being typically more moderate throughout .

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2019 06:51PM

Joseph,
SJ, spin jig blanks in 6 - 10 to 6 - 12 lb class are great walleye jig rods. Unless your in the Columbia R. Basin that the current, depth, and heavier offerings demand heavier gear.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 24, 2019 05:28PM

Joseph, rods are better described by the technique rather than the species. But I think that the traditional way to fish for walleyes has been with a small jig with a minnow or leech on the jig. And the fish do have timid bite tendencies, so "walleye" rods have traditionally been medium light power, a "compliant" tip for not only better detection of the bite, but also to give the fish no feedback that they've bitten something attached to a line. So "walleye" rods are usually ML power, fast or Xfast action (to get the softer tip ) . They are good Ned rig rods, IMHO.

But modern walleye fishing is not restricted to the little jig with the leech and little movement. It's more a start aggressive and go to the leech only when the aggressive method doesn't work method. So anglers are using cranks, hard jerks (the jerk is more of a sweep than a jerk), and swim baits snapped off the bottom. And the rods they use are not "walleye" rods.

I hope this helps.

Posted by: Joseph Ortiz (---.evrt.wa.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 24, 2019 10:44PM

Thank you again Gents!

I have particularly been looking for Kokanee blanks lately and came across a few, like Lamiglas “Closer” blanks, marketed as “Walleye” so I thought I’d ask the experts. I always appreciate your time and thoughts!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster