I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

another coat or rewrap
Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 21, 2019 07:42AM

I don`t know what went wrong but the guide wraps on a new rod are a bit tacky. I flex coated the wraps twice and the result is the same . I felt a new coat would remedy the problem but it didn`t, At this point I`m considering rewrapping the guides and starting over. What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: another coat or rewrap
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 21, 2019 08:20AM

Think you need to determine why the epoxy is not curing else you risk yet another tacky, uncured coat, regardless of whether you re-coat or strip and rewrap.

What is the room temperature where you are doping finish work? If less than 70 some epoxy will require days to cure. Didi you mix thoroughly for 3 minutes? Yeah, mixing for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes seems like forever, especially if you are mixing by hand, but it has got to be done. Are you absolutely, positively, dead on certain you mixed equal parts resin and hardener, and did you use syringes to measure components? Finish epoxy is not so forgiving of unequal volumes, and, no, a little extra hardener is not a good thing.

Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 21, 2019 08:32AM

The room temperature was 71 degrees. I mixed the 2 parts for 2 minutes. Probably mixture was off a tad. Made thousands of wraps in the past, Maybe just a senior moment on the mix,but will it eventually dry?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 21, 2019 11:59AM

Flex Coat does not take very long to cure, so most likely both mixes are off. If you are not using syringes to mix, probably a good time to start. You will get two opinions: Do it right, re-wrap (but as stated, you need to prove you can get a good hard epoxy coat before applying more to even a new wrap-do a test with syringe-measured epoxy).

or: Recoat because it just may work ok and saves the grief of re-wrapping. Take the easiest option first. It does sometimes work well.

Is a third coat going to be too much?

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 21, 2019 12:29PM

I feel your pain on the senior moment thing! I've twice in the last week come dangerously close to mixing 2 ml of resin with 3 ml of hardener using syringes - It's the eyes that fail first.

Will it cure? Hard to say for certain but don't bet your lunch money on it curing completely.

If you have time, put the rod in a warm place (the warmer the better) and give it another day or two.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2019 01:20PM

As others have said about the mix.

Whenever I get a new set of epoxy finish, I take a wide piece of masking tape and wrap around each bottle.

Then, I take a thick black marker and put a couple of big A's on the part A bottle and a couple of big B's on the B bottle.

After that, I take a piece of clear sealing tape to go over the masking tape to seal the lettering and to insure that the markings do not come off of the tape and to better keep the bottles clean.

I also do the same thing with the Syringes. i.e a couple of Big A's on the A syringe, and a couple of bigh B's on the B syringe.

I also put the purchase date on each of the finish bottles, before sealing with the clear sealing tape, so I track the age of the finish.

I do the same thing with Epoxy Glue. i.e. I mark the purchase date of the Glue .

Good luck

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2019 06:52PM

The odds are that you did not mix both components - you used the same components twice.
I know you probably think that is impossible - but we have all done that least once.
Herb

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 21, 2019 08:24PM

up the TEMP to 80 F see if that will help

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2019 12:33PM

Strip the rod and start over and put your worries at rest.

If you don't do that you will always wonder if the finish is really right!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster