I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for walleye trolling rod?
Posted by: Chris Henry (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2019 05:46AM

I’m looking at building two walleye trolling rods and would like some help choosing guides. Both will only be used for flatlining deep diving cranks. I have 7’ and a 7’6” Rainshadow E-glass blanks but now I just need to choose guides. I have a telescoping 7’6” Okuma Dead Eye trolling rod which is set up with 14-12-10-10-8-8-8-10. Not sure the brand and I think they might be a little big for my application. Looking for recommendations. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for walleye trolling rod?
Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 18, 2019 08:43AM

Sounds like a "casting' reel set-up?
If so, we like something like this;
Batson XBLXNLG 16, 06, 06, 06 (2 foot), then XBFLG06 (low frame 1 foot) the rest of the way.
Set up as a "Turnover" style, with the turn being done in the first 2 sz 06 2 foot going up the rod.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Chris Henry (---.sub-174-220-12.myvzw.com)
Date: May 20, 2019 08:03AM

Not sure what a turn is but yes it will be a baitcaster. I just want to do simple guides straight down the blank. It’s an okuma low profile 354 line counter reel. 16 seems kind of big, yes or no?

Date: May 20, 2019 09:05AM

A "turnover" is also called an "spiral wrap" among other names.
It simply takes the line from the reel on top of the blank, and we do it in 2 guides,
takes the line to the under side of the rod.
It is especially helpful on a trolling rod, since it transfers the torque to the under side of the rod.
We like the sz 16 stripper guide to help the line path.
If you just want to do a conventional guides all on top, then you could downsize the stripper to a sz 12, or even a 10.
Then sz 6 the rest of the way.
Or, sz 6 next, then sz 5 or even sz 4.
But be careful, you may be passing knots thru the guides?
For durability you might want to go all 2 foot guides.
Here is a link to some of the discussions on it;
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Chris Henry (206.80.132.---)
Date: May 20, 2019 09:18AM

So how about?

7' XBLXNLG 12, 06, 06, 06, XBFLG 06, 06, 06, 06, 06, XPPZT tip top (10 total guides)

7'10" (butt trimmed to 7'6") Add one or two more XBFLG 06's?

Date: May 20, 2019 10:45AM

Yes, that all sounds good.
But, be sure to tape on the guides after mounting the reel seat and grips,
with the reel and line you will be using and do a stress test under load.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.41.---)
Date: May 20, 2019 10:47AM

9 guides plus tip top should be fine on any glass rod build, it's a pretty durable material.

Date: May 20, 2019 11:18AM

I'm not sure if I should be concerned about the single foot guides or not? Again, I will only be trolling deep diving crankbaits, like reef runner 800 series lures, 100ft back and 20-25ft down. I guess if needed I could do a locking wrap on them. Not sure if that would do anything?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2019 11:54AM

Chris,
Single foot guides are just fine.

After all, you will not likely be using any line heavier than 10 or possibly 15 lb line. I know of no 15 lb line that is strong enough to cause any issues at all with a single foot guide.

Good luck

Date: May 20, 2019 12:03PM

I use 30lb braid. Are you referring to 15lb mono or flouro?

Date: May 20, 2019 12:40PM

Chris,
It doesn't matter, the single foot guides will be just fine - especially since you are doing a spiral wrap.

However, for this style rod, I will generally made the first guide a double foot guide simply because it is bigger and if the rod gets stepped on, it is less likely to bend in the process.

Other than the first guide, I don't see much need for a double foot guide for this type of fishing.

Good luck

Date: May 20, 2019 01:29PM

I'm not doing a spiral wrap but yeah I think I should be okay with the single foot guides. Thanks for all your help!

Date: May 20, 2019 03:01PM

Chris,
You indicated that this rod will be a trolling rod, but will not be a spiral wrapped rod.

I am not necessarily a big fan of a spiral wrapped rod, if there is a lot of casting to be done with the rod. But, for a trolling rod, with 0 casting - I can't think of a better configuration than a spiral wrapped rod. Since all but the first two or three guides are on the top or sides and the rest on the bottom - you can also use 2-4 fewer guides since the line will be below the rod where the bulk of any bending will occur in the rod. Also, the fact that the line is below the rod, with some arc in it when trolling, the line below the rod will really help to keep the rod from twisting in the hand.

No real difference in guide sizes, just get the line from the top of the rod to the bottom of the rod in the first three guides and wrap the rest of your guides on the underside of the rod.

Take care

Date: May 21, 2019 10:32AM

One other thing on these two E-Glass blanks I have. Size A or D thread on these large diameter blanks with small guides?

Date: May 21, 2019 01:29PM

Chris,
Really no reason to ever use D thread on a fresh water blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster