I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Point blank rod sensitivity?
Posted by: Brian Cheung (---.globale.net)
Date: May 18, 2019 12:00AM

Finally got to test out my Point Blank PB691MXF rod yesterday, and to be honest I found it lacking in sensitivity, which baffled me since everything I read about it seemed to be good. I tried it with jerkbaits, squarebills, and a mepps spinner. It just didn't seem to transmit vibration into my hand much. I thought at first with the jerkbait since it is a semi slack line technique it might not be that sensitive, but then switched to the crank and could barely feel it moving.

I'm not trying to bash on the product, just hoping to learn from it if I messed something up or if it would be better suited for a different application? User error? It casts very well and is very light.

I have it built with a carbon fibre split grip, Fuji pts casting seat with the perfect fit hidden thread cover set, Fuji perfect fit carbon insert between the blank and the reel seat and Fuji fazlite casting guides kW 10 to kB 5.5, kB 5 (x2), kb and kt 4.5 the rest of the way, and fazlite tip top. I put a light coat of threadmaster high build about two inches long on the blank in front of the thread cover set to sign my name with a paint pen. I have it paired with a chronarch ci4+ reel with 12 lb sunline sniper fluorocarbon and small wire leader. I switched to a reel with braided line and didn't feel much of a difference either. Thanks for the responses in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Point blank rod sensitivity?
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 18, 2019 12:12AM

All i can say is "Wow", thank you for having the guts to post such an honest review . You're right there are quite a few guys who have raved about " Point Blank" on here so i feel your disappointment . You detailed everything about how you built it , handle type , material , what line types and pound test you used, what you were throwing etc... and nothing stands out to me as to why there could be a lack of sensitivity but it's unfortunate for sure since it is considered a high end pricey blank.

Hope someone else can help

Date: May 18, 2019 08:02AM

I'm wondering if it might be the carbon insert or the hood cover dampening the feel and want to know how others who love the rod have built theirs. I don't want to jump quickly to conclusions and blame it on the blank, it was my second rod build and there's a good chance I could have sized something improperly or installed something wrong. I've had a lot of help from people on here that know a lot more than me and just want to learn so I don't repeat my mistakes again in the next build.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2019 08:20AM

Sensitivity is subjective. But it is also a matter of stiffness to weight ratio. From that standpoint, it would be almost impossible that the Point Blank wouldn't be "sensitive" at least to the same point that blanks with similar stiffness to weight ratios are.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 18, 2019 09:05AM

Brian

You mentioned this is your second rod build, how did the first rod turn out. If you are happy with it and performs well then you may want to note the differences between them. Weight, balance, etc. also you may try a comparison static test.

Noting the differences may help you determine why you are disappointed with your second build.

My gut feeling is that the second rod may be too stiff for what you want to do.

Good luck

john

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 18, 2019 09:05AM

I have found all of the Point Blanks I have used to be as sensitive or more sensitive then any rod I have ever used, I have made and used most of the very high end blanks manufactured, as well as many of the mid and low range cost blanks, and have had no real problems with sensitivity with any of them, even with my old fiberglass rods. The Point Blanks have become one of my favorite rods I love the way they cast, feel, and handle fish. I find them a joy to fish with, but that is totally subjective on my part. They are made from high quality carbon fiber, and are very light in weight, so no reason they should not be sensitive. However, everyone is different with different likes, dislikes, and perceptions. Things that are difficult to measure. As Tom mentioned sensitivity is a subjective term, and has a lot to do with expectations and perceptions. I have no doubt you are disappointed because you were expecting a lot more. I’m very sorry to hear that. All I can say is try something different until you find what you like.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 18, 2019 09:10AM

I think it's the stretchy FC line if there is actually a "functional" reason, as opposed to initial perceptions/expectations/subjective elements.

That blank built a little differently, but with about the same guides, is meeting all my son's expectations, 2 of them in fact.

I have built the 7' 3" med X Fast almost identically to your build and find it a very fine rod.

Son uses some kind of FC; I use mono.

Put some braid on it and you'll find exactly how sensitive the rod is.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 18, 2019 09:25AM

I have to agree with Michael, the line used is a very important part in the sensitivity equation. I use braid almost exclusively, because it casts great and increases sensitively, due to the lack of stretch. I use a leader joined to the braid via an FG knot. I also understand many people don’t like braid for a variety of reasons and prefer fluorocarbon or mono. Different likes and dislikes.
Norm

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2019 09:26AM

He used both fluoro and braid on it already, both of which are known for transmitting vibrations well. So, he has those variables covered already.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 18, 2019 10:08AM

Hi Brian..it sounds like you don,t use a foregrip..to get the most sensitivity you need to use a foregrip and pass the line between thumb and finger especially if jigging or worming and use braided line..Rich Forhan is given credit/blame for the no-foregrip look but he did makeup for it with the locking wrap..lol.

Date: May 18, 2019 10:42AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I only made a few casts with the braid as the reel the braid was on was giving me problems, I can try it again with braid and see again. I didn't try the first rod I built but I tried the third rod I built, a phenix m1 inshore throwing 5" lures and it was great. Perhaps the blank is too fast for me.

Any chance the carbon insert might be dampening some of the vibration? I think I put tape arbors to fit it to the blank and epoxied that, then put the reel seat over that. Since my hand is gripping mostly the reel/reel seat, what I'm feeling could be affected by that?

I love the way the rod casts and how light the whole setup is so don't want to give up on it just yet.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 18, 2019 11:28AM

Brian, the next time on the water make some casts with the point blank and same crankbait but this time grip only the rod in front of the reel not the reel at all..this will give you a good idea of how much vibration is lost by your handle and grip set up..

Posted by: Brian Cheung (142.169.78.---)
Date: May 18, 2019 12:41PM

Ohh ya I'll try that out, thanks!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 18, 2019 03:45PM

It might just be me and I might be entirely incorrect, but when fishing the types of lures you mentioned I'd be using one of my least sensitive rods, saving my most sensitive for bottom contact baits which are what I would use to judge sensitivity. What rods have you used that you feel are more sensitive? Just looking for clues.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2019 07:28PM

I've built several rods using different types of Point Blank- blanks, and every one of them has exceptional vibration/feel.
Your lack of sensitivity has nothing to do with your blank, carbon insert, carbon handle, epoxy, thread, seat or guides.
And every thing to do with the tape insulators you used for arbors

When you use a soft vibration's robbing material (tape) between blank and seat, even though you cover it with epoxy. you greatly reduce the ability of the blank to transmit shock waves (vibrations)
to the real seat.

You have what you built its not the blank.

Read this thread below from a few weeks back.
It does not make sense to buy top of the line blanks and components, then use tape
It might be cheap and convenient, But now you have the results of cheap and convenient,
Consider it a valuable lesson leaned on your way to learning his craft

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2019 08:19PM

I built one of those blanks up some years ago, the customer loves it, but I did notice the blank being a bit stiffer and more powerful than other MXF blanks I've used from other companies. The nature of the beast, everyone has their own criteria for power and action.

Date: May 18, 2019 09:16PM

While Steve has a valid point there have been millions of rods built using tape for arbors, to this day many modern rod building video's still use tape for arbors even sponsors from this very site . Whether it's advisable or not is another matter and a discussion for another day but i haven't witnessed a major outcry about a lack of sensitivity with rods built using tape arbors . Who knows Steve may be dead on accurate because i agree 100% with his reasoning but we won't know until Brian takes Bens advice and fishes it with his hand on the blank not the seat

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2019 09:41PM

Tape arbors work. However, if you are after the most sensitivity that a blank can deliver, you do not want masking tape arbors. Stiffness to weight ratio is king. Lightweight rigid foam arbors, with only enough epoxy to adhere things properly, is going to be far better from a sensitivity aspect than masking tape arbors with a half ounce of epoxy poured over and between them.

In effect, a blank is at its most sensitive before you add the first item to it. The instant you add a tiptop, you have reduced sensitivity. Each additional item you add further reduces it just that much more. The idea, therefore, is to add only what's needed, and in the least amount possible. And components should be as light and rigid as possible. Stiffness to weight ratio.

Of course Steve is correct - we don't have to wonder. Stiffness to weight ratio is the name of the game if you're after sensitivity.

Date: May 18, 2019 10:32PM

Thanks for all the replies, I will definitely use foam arbors next time and have learned a lot from this experience. I will try Ben's method and see how much sensitivity is lost and report back. I learned how to build rods watching a lot of videos on YouTube and they all seemed to use the tape arbors so I didn't know any better. I wasn't trying to say the blank was bad, my build just didn't live up to my expectations and I wanted to see how I could improve for next time. I really appreciate all the feedback everyone has given me.

Lynn, I built this rod because I mostly fish with jerkbaits and wanted to make as best a rod I could for this technique as I would be using it 80% of the time. I will try some bottom contact presentations and see if there's any difference as well. Before I was using a Fenwick elite tech 6'8mxf for most of my fishing, and a Shimano cumara

Date: May 18, 2019 10:57PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2019 12:16AM by herb canter.

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster