I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
About to apply some D2 finish for the first time?
Posted by: Chris Henry (206.80.132.---)
Date: May 16, 2019 04:10PM

Approximately how much epoxy should I use for the first coat on one 7' casting rod? (10 guides plus tip top, two decals and I would say an average amount of thread) Thanks much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: About to apply some D2 finish for the first time?
Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2019 04:41PM

Chris

We recommend just a good saturating coat for the 1st coat. A 6 to 10 cc mix will cover that first coat. Here is a video on how we do it:

[flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 16, 2019 05:08PM

Can't beat that response! Flex Coat has a number of good youtube videos on rodbuilding. Go to the Flex Coat web site and click on the Learning Center.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2019 05:30PM

It doesn't take as much as you think but there is a bigger danger in mixing too little, well beyond not having enough to do the job. You need to mix these components at 1 to 1 and the ratio is fairly critical. For some margin of error, it is recommended that you mix at least 3cc each of resin and hardener. A properly set and cured finish is always less expensive in the long run than a "do over."

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 16, 2019 05:43PM

If you mix with syringes you can use 1CC of each part and that will be as much as you need for that many guides on that rod.

Posted by: Chris Henry (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2019 07:07PM

I have one set of syringes. Do I do anything with the syringes after? Clean them or anything?

Date: May 16, 2019 07:10PM

No, just push out all the resin/hardener, then slightly withdraw the plunger and store in a clean place.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 16, 2019 07:35PM

Store in a clean place separately.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.sub-174-240-138.myvzw.com)
Date: May 16, 2019 07:37PM

Make sure you label the syringes for the next time. I have used the same set of syringes for years.
Norm

Date: May 16, 2019 08:37PM

Spend $4 and get the bottle tops that fit in teh epoxy, you store the syringes in teh tops. No need to clean, or remember which is which.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 16, 2019 09:53PM

I do as Billy does. Ugh!

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 16, 2019 10:26PM

I do what Lynn and Billy does but eventually i replace those wedge type caps because i have had the syringes fall out due to the hole widening over time.

Date: May 17, 2019 12:07AM

I've had teh same caps in my bottles since Hurricane Sandy 6 1/2 years ago.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2019 01:48AM

Chris,
Just enough to give a nice first coat.

Start with 2 ccs and if that isn't enough, mix another batch.

I generally start with the butt wrap and then go from there. If you work on one area of the rod at a time, -- and if you do run out of finish -- just go ahead and mix another batch and pick up where you left off. I would rather have too little, rather than too much because I don't like to waste the finish.

Goog luck

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: May 17, 2019 03:47AM

Im with roger there.. If your not familiar with how fast an epoxy starts to set up pn you its better to mix a second batch if necessary.. Nothing worse then mixing up a bunch and realizing your taking to long with half the guides left.. End up needing a second batch anyway..

Ive been doing 2 batchs for awhile now, i get too fussy... And my dryer only spins at 4.6 rpm (advertized as a 9rpm) its surprising how fast 15-20min. Goes by ay such slow turning speeds

Posted by: Chris Henry (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2019 04:09AM

So the first coat didn’t go so well. I mixed up 3cc’s of each then poured it onto aluminum foil wrapped over a paper plate, then flashed it a couple times with my butane micro torch. Started applying from the tip and by the time I got to where my decal above the fore grip is going it was already very tacky. The areas where both my rear grip decal and foregrip decal are going looked terrible. Not sure what went wrong?

Date: May 17, 2019 08:47AM

You have a couple options when applying finish - move along more quickly (finishing a guide wrap shouldn't take longer than 15 to 30 seconds) or do the rod in two batches.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: May 17, 2019 11:08AM

If the finish gets tacky while you are applying it STOP. Do NOT use it to do the rest of the rod. Mix a new batch to finish the remaining wraps.

Work quickly to do all the wraps, and then go back and check for dry spots, drips, etc. and fix them while the finish is still liquid.

Depending on how you are mixing it, 3cc's of each part is a lot of finish to mix and you may be using up some of your "application time" mixing the finish. As others have said, if carefully measured and mixed 1cc of each part is plenty for each batch. For some smaller things I go with .5cc's of each and have not had a problem.

Posted by: Chris Henry (---.sub-174-220-9.myvzw.com)
Date: May 17, 2019 11:14AM

I pulled 3cc’s each of D2 with syringes and mixed them in a crb mixer for 4 minutes. I immediately started applying on a 9rpm dryer. I started at the tip and got all the guides done in time but when I got to the areas where I’m going to put decals and the trim bands near the rear grip it started to get very tacky. Is it because I didn’t leave it in the mixing cup and spread it out on aluminum foil?

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: May 17, 2019 11:31AM

No, it took you too long.. This is why most of up start with the bigger areas.. I never used the mixer, or foil.. I mix in a plastic cup.. Try pre warming your stuff.. Put it in. Pocket while you set everything up

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster