I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using a Fuji micro 4.5 tip top with 5.0 kt runners?
Posted by: Chris Henry (206.80.132.---)
Date: May 16, 2019 09:02AM

Rainshadow Immortal spinning rod build: Guy's I already installed a micro 4.5 Fuji tip top with intentions of doing a KR concept guide train w/ 4.5 runners however I cannot get my hands on the individuals reel for static testing bc it's a gift so I was thinking of converting to KL's. If I do convert to KL's and use KT5's for runners, will it be okay matching them up with the 4.5 tip? Or should I replace the tip top with a 5.0?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using a Fuji micro 4.5 tip top with 5.0 kt runners?
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 16, 2019 09:38AM

Either would work , you don't have to have a larger tip top than running guides but it is the standard practice , it all depends on your line choice . I prefer tip tops that are only slightly larger than my runners and would choose a tip top with the same size ring as my runners over going two sizes larger as many anglers choose to do .

Don't worry about not having the reel you intend to use for static testing , having the exact reel is more important to reduction train guide spacing than running guide spacing , the blanks flex properties determine running guide positioning, the reel choice isn't important when working on the running guides but if doing a true KR concept build the reel will be needed to determine the best choke guide positioning and the runners will be the same size as the choke.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 16, 2019 09:55AM

Take a look at your ruler and look at teh difference between 4.5 and 5mm's.

Date: May 16, 2019 10:22AM

I think you may have misread my post. I don't have the reel for reduction train guide spacing so I don't know if I should just ballpark the location or not. And my original question was referring to using a smaller tip top which is 4.5 and already installed with larger 5.0 kt runners not a larger tip top with smaller runners.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 16, 2019 10:49AM

Don't sweat the tiptop, as Billy says. It can be switched easily later if you want.

Use the Fuji software in the left margin of the Anglers Resource site to locate the reduction set. Assume a similar reel to your intended reel. KL means KLH reduction? I like to use the 20 size stripper myself because it is a little more versatile relative to line choice than the 16, but I have rods with the 16 that do very nicely with up to 15 braid. The weight difference is to me imperceptible, especially since it's so low on the rod.

Locate the reduction set as the software recommends, then place your runners according to a static test. Test cast moving the reduction set up and down an inch; you probably will see no perceptible difference. Finalize the static placement of the runners, and go with it.

My experience with the KLH + KB + KT has been excellent, and it's all I use now for spinning builds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 10:51AM by Michael Danek.

Date: May 16, 2019 11:04AM

Chris Henry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think you may have misread my post. I don't have
> the reel for reduction train guide spacing so I
> don't know if I should just ballpark the location
> or not. And my original question was referring to
> using a smaller tip top which is 4.5 and already
> installed with larger 5.0 kt runners not a larger
> tip top with smaller runners.

I acknowledged that you didn't have the reel for reduction guide spacing OR static testing , that being the case why are you going forward without the reel , the best possible thing you can do would be to wait until you have it whether it's a gift or not. As far as your original question , yes you can use a 4.5 tip size with a rod using size 5 runners , it will work especially with light braid but i would up it a size or two in the future .

Unless you have a good reason to be laying out guides especially if it's a permanent attachment and not just getting ideas WITHOUT having the reel in hand i would strongly recommend you wait .

Date: May 16, 2019 11:37AM

I wish I could wait to get my hands on the reel but unfortunately I can't. The purchaser wants a completed rod to present. I think I'm going to have to order the regular KL guides and use the standard provided measurements.

Date: May 16, 2019 12:13PM

Oh, now i understand , you can do a KL guide setup if you want , the below guides will work but so will many other types .

[www.mudhole.com]

If you know what reel he will be using i may be able to help guide you with a KR setup using Fuji's specific KR software to get a great performing layout since i'm pretty well versed in the specs , sizes , weights etc... of many spinners . Do you know what line type and pound test he plans on using thats very important.

Date: May 16, 2019 01:24PM

Great thanks! He uses a Shimano Stradic Ci4+ C3000HG with 15lb braid main line w/ a flouro leader. I was intending on going with the KR concept w/ 20klh-10klh-5.5M reduction, instead of 16-8-5.5 to make it a little more versatile in case he uses straight flouro or even happens to switch reels.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.sub-174-240-138.myvzw.com)
Date: May 16, 2019 01:48PM

Good choice!
Norm

Date: May 16, 2019 03:08PM

Yeah , i agree that is a great choice with the guide choices for more versatility . Do you know the handle length/ reel seat location or are you just going to take it as it comes and see how it plays out ?

The stradic in the 3000 size will work great with a wide variety of guide setups especially with braid under 20 pounds , the propulsion spool lip and aero wrap oscillation really does a great job with keeping the coils smaller and well managed compared to some other spinners.

Date: May 16, 2019 03:21PM

Just took some measurements on my 8 foot KR concept rod , from the spool halfway extended to the first guide ring is 21" , from the first guide to the second is 9" and second to third is 71/2 and the guides in order are the KL20H - KL10H -KL 5.5M this is using a Stradic 4000 FK so anything close should work very very well .

Just remember no guide setup should be copied exactly just use it as a testing point besides this is a 8 footer with a 20 1/4 inch length rear handle to the middle of the reel seat .

Date: May 16, 2019 04:03PM

The GPS also gives me a 4th measurement (Reducer to choke guide), is this where the 4.5 KB would go?

Date: May 16, 2019 07:20PM

Chris Henry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The GPS also gives me a 4th measurement (Reducer
> to choke guide), is this where the 4.5 KB would
> go?

Indeed it is .

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 16, 2019 09:58PM

Tip top is fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster