I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
self sealing syringe top for Perma Gloss?
Posted by: Joseph Ortiz (---.evrt.wa.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 12, 2019 11:24PM

Does anyone happen to know if a 20mm self sealing syringe top would work on a 4oz Perma Gloss bottle?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: self sealing syringe top for Perma Gloss?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2019 01:55AM

Why syringes are for precision measuring? No need for that in a one part finish.

Date: May 13, 2019 02:16AM

Well I have not used it before, but have been reading through old posts about it hardening. Thought withdrawing via a sealing syringe might limit the moisture getting inside. Silly? Overkill? Again I have not used it before. just thought it might be worth a try since ill not likely be using it too often.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 02:35AM by Joseph Ortiz.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2019 08:28AM

It's worth a try. If you can keep air out of the bottle, that's a good thing. Let us know if it works well.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 13, 2019 09:37AM

hopefully it doesn,t set-up inside the needle..isn,t PG mostly super glue(i can,t spell cyanoacrilate)...

Date: May 13, 2019 10:14AM

No - it's a moisture curing urethane.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2019 11:56AM

You will need to dispose of the syringe after it plugs up from exposure to the air.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2019 11:59AM

Have not used Perma Gloss in some time now. Best that I remember, it did not work well with plastics.

Date: May 13, 2019 04:15PM

Some plastics. Test first.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 13, 2019 04:27PM

The later bottles of PG don't seem to harden in my fridge like the old ones did. About two years and still good. I just take out a little at a time and replace the cap. Interestingly it came with two caps, but I think I can only tell if I need the second one if the bottle hardens with the first. And by then it's too late. I keep it in the original bottle inside a small sealed plastic bag inside the fridge.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 13, 2019 05:04PM

If you store it ( in it's original bottle) upside down in a baby food or similar jar, the air space will be a the bottom of the bottle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2019 06:12PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: May 13, 2019 05:42PM

Trondak changed the cap design a few years back and that has helped tremendously. The absolute sure-fire cure is the half pint paint can trick. Easy and will keep PG good for years and years.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2019 07:35PM

I just store it in the refrigerator in an air tight jar with desiccant. This methods is recommended by Trondak. Stored this way it lasts a long time and I have had no problem using all of ii before it goes hard. If you just put it on a shelf in your work room, the next time you go to use it it may be rock hard. If you store it at room temperature the use of a small paint can, as Tom mentioned, with a small screw in the can to release the contents works very well. The only problem is determining how much is left in the can.
Norm

Date: May 13, 2019 08:02PM

Shake it and listen, and/or feel the heft.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: May 14, 2019 04:00PM

Tom Kirkman
I know you are a huge fan of PG, I am too. The smell is the only reason I dont use it more. Can you recommend a brand or style of respirator if i got one i could use it as long as its warm enough outside that i can open a window to vent the smell. My wife hates it when the smell permeates the house.

Date: May 14, 2019 06:16PM

Afraid I can't although most anything that an automotive painter would be using should do the trick for you.

Date: May 14, 2019 07:08PM

Since we are on the topic of PG, what do you use to clean up brushes, sponges and such? Or are they just disposed of after each use?

Date: May 14, 2019 08:31PM

Unless you're doing guide wraps you wouldn't likely use a brush with PG. Just a section of cheesecloth or coffee filter. Toss 'em out.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2019 12:46AM

Joseph,
U-40 Brush Cleaner. Works on epoxy too.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: May 15, 2019 08:37AM

Thanks Tom

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster