I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

valspar
Posted by: Scott Dacey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2019 09:02AM

I did a search for any info on Valspar and if it reacts badly to flex coat, nothing came up. So I'll throw this out there. I'm refurbing an old rod I had for many years. Its all stripped down and sanded. I wanted to put the shine back on it and had read that Urethane Valspar will work. Has anyone had any issues with coating the whole blank and using flex coat on the threads? Or would it be better to coat the threads in Urethane Valspar also to avoid any lifting or checking of the flex coat. Thanks in advance.

Dace

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: valspar
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 12, 2019 10:34AM

It won't harm Flex Coat nor any other 2-part epoxy.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: May 12, 2019 07:12PM

Scott,
I am just curious as to why you would not use U40 PermaGloss on the blank?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 13, 2019 06:13AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It won't harm Flex Coat nor any other 2-part
> epoxy.
>
> ............

Thank you Tom

Date: May 13, 2019 06:24AM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
> Scott,
> I am just curious as to why you would not use U40
> PermaGloss on the blank?

Probably because I'm a noobie at rod building, LOL! I had an old rod builders book from many years ago and remember it had mentioned spar varnish. But i had lost the book years ago and couldn't remember the specifics of laying it down or whether it would work on threads also. I can get a qt of valspar for $16 at my local Lowes as opposed to $60 through Mudhole. I figure I would lay down the varnish on a clean blank, let it dry completely then wrap the guides and use the prokote finish on the threads. This is a great hobby but I don't want to break the bank trying to enjoy it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2019 11:46AM

Scott,
Do yourself a favor and keep the spar varnish for your wooden boat and boat parts.

Use modern and better products for rod building.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2019 11:54AM

Not sure about the rod weight you are refinishing, but varnish will add significant weight, while PermaGloss very little. Also varnish will yellow quite a bit over time, PermaGloss not at all.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2019 08:12PM

Geez, he said he was "refurbing an old rod I had for many years". If the rod left the factory with varnish what the heck is wrong with using it now for a refurb?

Scott, I'd use something light an easy on the blank like the spray can Helmsman. Save the brush on stuff for the guide wraps.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Scott Dacey (---.pools.cgn.spcsdns.net)
Date: May 14, 2019 06:36PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
> Geez, he said he was "refurbing an old rod I had
> for many years". If the rod left the factory with
> varnish what the heck is wrong with using it now
> for a refurb?
>
> Scott, I'd use something light an easy on the
> blank like the spray can Helmsman. Save the brush
> on stuff for the guide wraps.

Thanks Russ,
After looking at it more closely, it looks like spar varnish. All yellow and chipped. It was definitely hand wrapped. I wonder if urethane spar varnish would work better?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster