I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Renzetti Rod Lathe Speed Control
Posted by: Bryan Bradford (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: May 10, 2019 08:22AM

I was able to pick up a used renzetti rod lathe and am attempting to learn how to use it. It came with what appears a home made box with like a dimmer switch or fan control knob and outlet. the foot switch plugs into the outlet and the knob seems to control the speed somewhat.I guess what I am asking is..... there a better way to slow the lathe down? say with a solidstate varaible foot switch and eliminate the "box". I would like to have better control on the speed of the lathe. I would appreciate any info you guys have as to what I could do ....I love the lathe and want to get it fine tuned.
Thanks in advance for the asistance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2019 08:54AM by Bryan Bradford.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Renzetti Rod Lathe Speed Control
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2019 10:15AM

Bryan,
One thing that May help is to reverse the order of connection.

i.e. plug the box into the wall switch and then plug the pedal into the box.

Also, if your wrapper has a stepped pulley, be sure that the belt is on the smallest step in the pulley and the wrapper head stock is using the largest step in its pulley. i.e. this will give you greatest amount of speed reduction.

Best wishes

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2019 10:47AM

You could scrap that set up and obtain a new motor and solid state foot control. Probably looking at $200 or so. I can get you the numbers on my 1/10 Dayton motor, which I think is the all around best set up for this lathe.

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2019 03:01PM

Bryan
Foredom foot control solid state . I bought mine a few years back from the manufacturer online for approximately $35. I would try to contact them to see if they have a foot pedal to accommodate your motor.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 10, 2019 04:30PM

Wow, congratulations on picking up that amazing piece of machinery , i would take Tom up on his offer the Dayton motors are absolute top notch and are built to last . The archives have the info you're looking for because i remember a post that listed all the options and various motors recommended . If all else fails Roger will get it to work with his recommendations , the guy lives and breathes rod building machinery .

Posted by: Michael Collier (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2019 05:25PM

Dayton also makes a solid state speed control. I’ve been using one for years on my Clemens lathe. I plug my foot pedal in the outlet then the motor is plugged into the speed control and then the control is plugged into the foot control

Date: May 17, 2019 03:54PM

Thanks for the input. I followed Bill's advise with the Foredom foot pedal, and chatted with Roger about the DC setup. I have the DC items on order and I appreciate all the help!!!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 17, 2019 07:52PM

Roger put together a DC motor setup for me on my Renzetti . Extremely fine speed control, with reverse capabilities He did an outstanding job. Roger knows what he’s talking about when it comes to electronics. I just wish I could get use to power wrapping I use the 1/10 HP Dayton motor for turning grips. Thanks Roger!
Norm

Date: May 18, 2019 09:21AM

I would agree that Roger knows what he is doing!! He was able to put my mind at ease before I started to order of bunch of parts that I didn't need or that were wrong..... I'm looking forward to building the controls and getting things setup for DC. I did use the foredom pedal for the first time yesterday and am pleased with how "slow" I am able to turn the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster