I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater Builds 2 ? Tranx Spiral and Stella 10,000 Guide set up's
Posted by: benjie bates (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 06, 2019 01:52PM

I feel like I have beat the search feature here pretty well and done the best i can to research this info but wanted to post before i went forward.

but i have 2 questions about some rods i am building for saltwater inshore and nearshore.

This will be my first attempt at spiral wrapping a rod. up until this point just bass and light inshore builds.

1. Spiral wrap: Blanks: Rodgeeks xc731 and 732 Reels: Tranx 200 and Tranx 400 ---

Proposed Guide Layout.

Tranx 200 Kw 10 Kw 7 kw 6 kb 6's spiral wrap 0-60-90-120-180
Tranx 400 Kw12 Kw 8 kw 8 to size 6 kw's spiral 0-60-90-120-180

Both will see 50lb braid an i will probably run a top shot on the tranx400 at times.

2. Large Spinning Rod: Blank XC 734 Reel: Stella Sw 10000 50lb braid -- probably a long section of flour as well at times. but not always straight braid.

proposed guide train: kw30 kw25 kw 16 kw 12 kw 10 kw 10 to kw8's on out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2019 10:37AM by benjie bates.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater Builds 2 ? Spiral and Larger Spinning Guide set up's
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: May 06, 2019 05:00PM

Benjie,
Being a novice with only six spriral-wraps of experience, I am curious as to replies from others. Your Tranx 400 appears to be similar to the Lexa 400 I personally use, and with 50# braid as well.
Question #1. I see no advantage of the 90* guide. The second (60*) and third (120*) guides can be positioned so the line just misses (.060in) the blank which should increase as the rod is loaded. Actually, the rod I use the most for calico and all but the biggest yellowtail has the KW12 stripper positioned at about 20*, second KW8 guide at about 110*, third KW8 at about 160*, and the remaining KW8 runners at 180*. A very straight line path was achieved with this layout as well as getting the line to the bottom sooner for a rod that is only 7ft 6in. With the level-wind reel, line stacking on the spool is barely noticeable. I could have used KW6s for the runners and just may for my next spiral build. The size of the KW12 stripper allowed it to be positioned further off from 0*. Another thought for consideration is employing KBs for the runners which would certainly be strong enough, weight less, half as many wraps and cost a tick less also.
Question #2. Never even seeing a 10000 spinning reel, I am not qualified to answer.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 06, 2019 05:13PM

Man, a Stella 10000 on a 7 foot 3 inch blank, you aren't playing around are you lol. I took your "Large" comment as like a 12 footer but it will work no question about that , it will just be a heavy beast indeed .

I would opt for a KW 30 -20-12-8 -8 -8- 8 why add more guides than necessary and the 25 and 16 may be unnecessary . Too bad a high frame 25 isn't available in the KW frames because a Stella throws well managed smaller diameter coils than most spinners out there and a 30 is unneeded even when spooled with 50 pound braid . An RV 25 would be ideal but it's not cost effective and i see little benefit of it on a rod like you're building so the KW 30 is a good choice.

Posted by: benjie bates (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2019 08:36PM

Herb.

Ha ha. It’s the most powerful rod I’ve built or owned in hindsight maybe not the best title.

I have some tarpon trips up coming so it’s time to get serious about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2019 09:25PM by benjie bates.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 06, 2019 08:56PM

The largest rod you ever built ...... 7 feet 3 inches ? .......maybe the term "Heavy duty" is what you mean because what you're building is a beast of a rod for sure rated to handle sinker weight ranges of 4 - 12 ounces.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: May 07, 2019 08:38AM

Can't speak to the spiral but for your spinner - 30-20-16-10 then 5 8's and the tip.

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster