I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Restoring vintage bamboo fly rod
Posted by: Taylor Nelson (---.rstr.qwest.net)
Date: May 05, 2019 09:25PM

Hey everyone. I'm going to be restoring a vintage Granger bamboo fly rod and will he redoing all the wraps. I have ordered and recieved the silk but my question is on the color preserver. I do have flex coat color preserver but I have never used it on silk before. I have seen alot of talk about a product called Al's Color Rite. Never used that either. Guess I'm kinda stuck on what to use as I want it to look original. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Restoring vintage bamboo fly rod
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 05, 2019 09:52PM

Al's (It works OK.) is supposedly formulated specifically for silk while Flex Coat is probably more of a nylon thread CP (Never used it.).

I refurbished - not restored, refurbished - a Granger Champion last summer. Send.an e-mail an I'll let you know the CP I used and where it can be purchased.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2019 01:13PM

Granger originally used lacquer as a cp.
Al’s works good but takes 4 coats
If you can find it in some old hobby shop. Aerogloss Dope in clear gloss is the best. Use it outside as this stuff is like sniffing glue.
Other options are Delf clear brushing lacquer.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 06, 2019 05:34PM

Don: Your "refurbished" statement is well taken. Glass and graphite rods are 100% synthetic and do not degrade much over time. Bamboo rods are 100% organic, and like all organic things they suffer irreparable degradation over time. You can refurbish a bamboo rod to look like new, but you cannot restore it to function/cast like new. You will break it.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 07, 2019 02:13AM

Very interesting stuff Phil , wasn't aware Bamboo rods suffer from irreparable degradation over time and one should not expect that restoring one will bring back it's performance level to when it was relatively new , learned something .

Date: May 07, 2019 10:12AM

Well this is where I have to disagree with Phil.
Fiberglass and other composites degrade over time especially when exposed to environmental factors such as UV.
I restored,yes I said restored, hundreds of bamboo fly rods to original condition.
Unless the rod was not taken care of i.e left in the bottom of a wet boat. I’ve never seen major degradation.
On the other hand I’ve seen some pretty nasty fiberglass rods that were only a few years old.

But we digress. Since that wasn’t the OP’ s question

Date: May 07, 2019 12:31PM

Most vintage cane fly rods were constructed with hide glue. Hide glue is "completely water soluble and biodegradable". This is not true of modern, polymer glues. The claims "authentic restoration" and "completely refurbished" are not synonyms.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2019 12:34PM

All rods suffer fatigue over time. You can only flex something (incur so many "cycles") before the material and subsequent structure weakens. Carbon is very good in terms of being able to withstand far more "cycles" than glass and similar composite materials. Of course, the adhesives used to bind the materials, and in the case of bamboo, the adhesive binding the segments, will also fatigue. With bamboo, most failures occur when the adhesive lets go and the segments delaminate, leading to a structural failure which then causes breakage of one of more segments. On the other hand, rods that have been well cared for, even bamboo, can still be fished hard many, many decades later.

Date: May 08, 2019 12:22PM

Is there any way to restore a vintage silk fly line? A restored classic fly rod begs to be paired with a classic fly line.

Date: May 08, 2019 04:43PM

There are all kinds of instructions online on how to “refurbish” a silk fly line. the first step is to find a tapered line in the correct size that hasn’t degraded.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster