I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with sealing thread over rubber
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: May 05, 2019 03:36AM

So i got ahold of some electrical shrink tubing.. Big stuff, like for 750kmcm or 500mcm.. Diffrent colors.. Figured what the @#$%&, lets see what all the fuss is about with using tubing over old cork.. So i wrapped a thread to create a textured feel, used the shrink, it needed something else.. To.. Bland.. So j decided to put some thread work over top, just to see what it would look like..

Well, i really kinda like it.. Lol

Normally in a situation like this, and not using rubber, i would just use permagloss... But i cant in this situation since permagloss will eat the rubber... Any suggestions on a good, flexible, durable, and non agressive finish for this application? Maybe varnish?

I want to add a bit more thread to it, but i dont want to waste the thread, or time, if theres really nothing out there

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with sealing thread over rubber
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2019 03:48AM

Are you sure it will eat it? It doesn't eat winding checks.

Date: May 05, 2019 03:53AM

Im not.. Gimmie 5 min. Lol.. I have a scrap piece left over.. I will say this though.. It will curl vynl.. My biohazard rod had all the edges curling on the vynl cutout i used. I managed to keep poking it down until the gloss set up enough to hold it..

Arent most winding checks nylon?

Date: May 05, 2019 04:02AM

Well.. I stand corrected... Permagloss does not attack electrical shrink tubing.. Guess this is why we should test before asking.. Lol well that makes things a heck of alot easier then i thought... Lol

Thanks.. I know you didnt do much, but it helped :)

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 05, 2019 08:57PM

Saw this rod today, it's gonna be spectacular! Fit for publication.

Date: May 05, 2019 09:20PM

Lol maybe when its done.. But i wouldnt go that far!

Date: May 06, 2019 08:14PM

I'll be old before it gets done!

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-19.myvzw.com)
Date: May 06, 2019 08:47PM

Na.. Im doing that fiberglass restore, then a restore for my mother, THEN its back to it... So next week lol

Date: May 09, 2019 05:06PM

Boy, your'e polite! I would have said, and expected you to say: "your'e already old!"

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-16.myvzw.com)
Date: May 09, 2019 06:17PM

All my friends are much older then me.. Ive always been told i have an old sole.. As far as im concerned, we are the same age.. Kinda.. Lol you and i seem to think fairly the same, im just nkt a cyborg lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster