I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 piece rod at the reel seat
Posted by: Tyler Carter (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 04, 2019 01:26AM

I'm looking for what I need to build a 2 piece rod that connects/disconnects at the reel seat.. Can someone point me in to right direction of what parts I'll need...approximate diameter at seat will be .500

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 piece rod at the reel seat
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 04, 2019 08:55AM

Tyler

We have to start somewhere and improve on it or come up with something different with the help of the forum.

My initial thoughts are to use a metal ferrule .

1) Determine the final length of the blank
2) Attach the male ferrule to butt end mount the guides and finish.
3) Find a section of scrap blank install the female ferrule and use it to build up the handle be it a spinning or casting
4) Assemble the handle such that the fore grip ends up flush with the end of the female ferrule.
5) Mate the two and go fishing

This is just one idea

Good luck

Have fun

John

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 04, 2019 09:25AM

John gave good advise though I wouldn't waste time looking for blank, I'd build the total grip section on an aluminum tube, modifying ordered blank length if necessary, or cut your blank at the end of your total grip length and install the female ferrule under your foregrip.
If it's a heavy powered freshwater rod, boat rod, whatever that can take some weight and an aluminum reel seat for one reason ,or another isn't a negative there is also the Pac Bay Channel Lock 2 ferruled reel seat in 20 mm. The blank OD will need to be enlarged just a bit to match the male ferrule ID.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2019 09:52AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 04, 2019 05:04PM

I like the idea of the aluminum tube it will also make it easier to install the fore grip, reel seat and the butt grip because you do not have to deal with a taper.
Good call.

Have fun

John

Posted by: David Parsons (---.s16300.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: May 04, 2019 07:04PM

what about a reel seat that has a ferrule for that purpose.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: May 06, 2019 03:31PM

Tyler,
If you can afford purchasing two blanks, cut the butt end of one blank to build your handle PLUS 3-4in to be inserted into the butt end of the primary blank. The inherently identical tapers will securely hold the two pieces together without the wobble or looseness found with many metal ferrules. I did this for a six-piece pack rod where the butt section was left over after cutting the rest of the blank to produce the spigot ferrules. While it works exceptionally well for High Sierra trout, I would question its durability for a tuna rod though.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: May 08, 2019 01:39PM

Tyler,
What tack did you take for your detachable handle?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster