I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Guide Attachment
Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 06, 2019 11:09AM

I have a rod I built in a hurry to fish one weekend. Didn't have time for finish. That was 5 or so years ago. Nothing but good old Gudebrod A nylon holding the guides on. I have to adjust one that gets knocked out of alignment now and then. It really needs rewrapped because the thread is starting to get stained and has some mildew on it. I 100% believe the thread is what holds the guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 06, 2019 12:41PM

Scott..slap some CP on it and you,ll get another year out of it..lol.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: May 06, 2019 03:07PM

Getting back to Mark M’s original question, a guide wrap is simply a modified composite laminate structure. Over 95% of the strength of any composite laminate is afforded by the fibers employed, be they CF, Aramid, FG or in the case of our guide wraps the thread. A matrix of epoxy is employed to keep the fibers aligned and from moving to allow the fibers to do their job, but add very little to the overall strength. Both are required to produce a structurally sound, permanent laminate; without the epoxy, the threads will loosen and the tag ends pop-out, while without the thread, the epoxy will not be nearly as strong. Can either be used alone? Yes. Will they be as strong and permanent by themselves? No.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: May 08, 2019 04:54PM

I think thread is used because it's highly effective, plus easy and cheap to use. And it's probably the relative cheapness that wins in the end. Even a $1000 fly rod has maybe $1 worth of thread on it at the most.

Without being an engineer, but having stayed in a Holiday Inn recently, I think it's the thread that supplies 90% of the strength to the rod/guide junction. Plus, even if the thread strength is say 2 pounds (I think it's higher) the 20 wraps of it provide a lot of strength. The epoxy is just there to keep the thread locked in place.

I did replace the guides recently on a Korea built fly rod, and while they do use thread, the covering was not epoxy. It's much harder, thinner, and more brittle. Held up fine for the 10 years I've fished that rod whatever it is.

Drew

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster